Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore-Waterford road closed within ORR for upgrade ** Updates Inside - 14/01/10 **

• 11-01-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I think its from tomorrow or have I got that wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Supposed to be today

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah, was supposed to be today but its still currently open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah right, was half asleep when I heard it mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,682 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bleep, I'd forgotten about that. The sign said it was to start on 11th Jan. Has the back road been cleared and gritted I wonder, its very shaded, there could still be slush/ice on it tomorrow. Was anyone on it today?

Its only within the ORR thats closed. Kilcohan, Cork road, Johns Park etc all okay I imagine :)

• Advertisement

Oh yes, sorry, I'm being stupid, been in the house too long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

What is it closing for? Whats the plan?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Beeker wrote: »
    What is it closing for? Whats the plan?

Basically its just to sort out the constant flooding. But there have been various story's about narrowing the road and reducing speed limits, iv no idea the specifics. Never looked into it much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Sully wrote: »
    Basically its just to sort out the constant flooding. But there have been various story's about narrowing the road and reducing speed limits, iv no idea the specifics. Never looked into it much
    About time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Beeker wrote: »
    About time:)

I heard they're raising the banks on either side to try reduce the flooding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Clano wrote: »
    I heard they're raising the banks on either side to try reduce the flooding

yeah thats exactly what theyre doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Lifting the banks? As far as I'm aware, they're lifting the whole road up to a max of 1.8 meters above what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

wellbutty wrote: »
    Lifting the banks? As far as I'm aware, they're lifting the whole road up to a max of 1.8 meters above what it is now.
    Yeah i think i heard there raising the road too..... have a feeling there just moving the problem though..... hope downstream is well equiped

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=DEC110896
    The proposed road improvement works involve approximately 3 km of the R675 Tramore Road section from the Inner Ring Road to the Green Road. The primary and ancillary scope of the works include:
    - General site clearance and earthworks
    - Raising of the existing road levels in varying depths within the footprints of the existing road from the Tramore Roundabout on the Inner Relief Road to Ballindud Roundabout on the Outer Ring Road (approximately 2,500m), and from Ballindud Roundabout to Green Road (approximately 500m)
    - Upgrading and construction of a new 2m wide footpath and suspended walkway link from Black Rock to the Outer Ring Road
    - Miscellaneous drainage works
    - Provision of signage, crash barriers and road markings
    - Modifications to kerbing and accommodation works
    - Miscellaneous landscaping works
    The contractor shall undertake the role of Project Supervisor at Construction Stage (PSCS). Notwithstanding such the full scope of the Works and the obligations of the Contractor under the Contract shall be ascertained by reference to the Contract as a whole.

Waterford to Tramore road pretty much ****ed. Major flooding as you leave Tramore before Robin Hill, road now completely closed from Green Road inclusive. Divert onto back road with caution as a wall has collapsed.

Basically, loads of places flooded that never flood before. Take it easy folks.

Further update.. The road from Ballindud that was planned to be closed is, as of now, closed. If your using the ORR towards cork, most of the relief roads are in **** and flooded. On the back road, there is an awful lot of debry but the collapsed wall is just before the new housing estate. There is flooding beyond that on the Waterford side also.

Further update.. The road from Ballindud that was planned to be closed is, as of now, closed. If your using the ORR towards cork, most of the relief roads are in **** and flooded. On the back road, there is an awful lot of debry but the collapsed wall is just before the new housing estate. There is flooding beyond that on the Waterford side also.
    Thanks for that will be using the ORR in the next half hour.:eek:

There were some unbelievable pot holes on the back road this morning, but the council seem to have filled some of them by this evening. However there are two bad potholes near the Equestrian centre, I avoided one and hit the other with a alignment-busting bang. There were long queues of traffic on the back road coming up to the ORR roundabout, took us about 50 minutes to get into town. If it fixes the flooding problem it will be worth it, but there were floods beyond the ORR today, hopefully the problem won't just move.

I could be wrong, but I think that the road will remain closed from Green Road for sometime. I thought they were doing the road raising/foot path etc. there also. So everyone needs to use the back road which was never prepared (despite being promised) for the amount of traffic its going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

nearly easier to get into town via butlerstown (towards old n25) if your in the IDA or anywhere that end, i think the dunhill road is flooded near 6 crossroads and full of potholes not sure about back road by butlerstown church :(

• Advertisement

kano476 wrote: »
    nearly easier to get into town via butlerstown (towards old n25) if your in the IDA or anywhere that end, i think the dunhill road is flooded near 6 crossroads and full of potholes not sure about back road by butlerstown church :(

The one which connects onto the ORR? Assuming you take the second exit on that roundabout down towards the side of ballybeg (not sure the area name) -- its equally as bad. Potholes, debree and minor floods.

Shame that so many of these roads (old Tramore road, Green Road, most of the slip roads on the ORR) are in such awful condition for so long.

Posted over on Facebook, assume its a press release but relevant either way.

Ballycashin Hill residents suffer on as road closed on safety grounds - Cummins
    Fine Gael Waterford City Councillor John Cummins has described the Ballycashin hill as a deadly, treacherous road which is unfit to cater for vehicles of any sort in its present condition. He was speaking on Wednesday following the closure of the road because of its disintegrated state. The link road joins Ballybeg drive and the outer-ring road. .

Cllr. Cummins said “I have never seen a road in a worse state during my lifetime; the clay underneath was coming up through the road and the asphalt had disintegrated completely in many parts. Even the unbroken asphalt surface was soft under foot and seemed to be sinking”

He explained “I had a call from a number of residents concerned about the state of the road so I went out to view it for myself and immediately came to the conclusion that the road was unsafe for motorists and pedestrians alike so I called out senior roads engineers to inspect the road. Following this inspection, the engineers deemed the road to be unsafe and closed it from both sides with immediate effect. However I understand some motorists ignored the closed signs and continued up the road which undoubtedly did more damage.

Cllr. Cummins added “We have a situation now where only local access is possible due to the state of the road. The residents of this area were promised that road improvement works would take place a number of years ago, but due to funding cutbacks, this road is now at least 18months away from a possible start date, with no guarantee that this will happen. Improvement works planned include realignment, public lighting, footpaths, drainage and ramps. Taking purchase of land into account the estimated cost of the project will be 2.3million”.

Cllr. Cummins said “If funding cannot be found to carry out the project, immediate interim steps will have to be taken to ensure the safety of residents in the area. While I understand this may cause some difficulty for motorists; what I am suggesting is that the road is closed to public access completely until funding for the main project is secured, ideally making the hill a cul de sac for the residents. This would limit the amount of money which would have to be spent fixing the road, as the volume of traffic would be reduced to a minimum.

He concluded by saying “If the road remains open, any money which will be put into fixing this road on a temporary basis will be wasted and nobody wants to see that. The road needs a significant capital spend and anything less will result in the road disintegrating again in a few months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Posted over on Facebook, assume its a press release but relevant either way.

Ballycashin Hill residents suffer on as road closed on safety grounds - Cummins

john cummins= legend:D

€2.3 million is a LOT of money for a 500 meter stretch of 2 lane road

Thats always been a "fun" bit of road, I was slightly surpised it wasn't closed off when the ORR was built to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TwoBit Tommy

i think the tramore road is closed until may or june sometime. i read it on the corporations twitter
    think its http://www.twitter.com/waterfordcityco :eek:

i think the tramore road is closed until may or june sometime. i read it on the corporations twitter
    think its http://www.twitter.com/waterfordcityco :eek:

Yes, that is what this topic has been all about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

The old Tramore Road is now in much better condition. The craters have been filled in :D

Advertisement