Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I get a licence

• 11-01-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Hi, im trying to get a new provisional licence, my last one has long expired. I need to apply for a test to get a licence but I cannot apply for a test without a licence number which is currently in date. Anyone have any ideas how this is done?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just get the form from any Garda station/motor tax office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

betafrog wrote: »
    You want to apply for a driving test? You'll need to get a new "Learners Permit". I'm not sure but you might need to sit the theory test again to get a new Learners permit if your licence was expired long enough...

I know I need a new learners permit but I have to apply for a test to get one and I cannot apply for a test without the learners permit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055731372

Seems very complicated process though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

If your last licence was a provisional licence, there is a 5 year lapse permitted.
    If your last licence was a full licence, a ten year lapse is permitted.
    In order to receive a new "Learner's Permit", you will need to fill in the learner permit form, and include your last licence with the application, plus two passport photo's (signed on reverse) and €15 application fee.

If it is outside of the permitted time lapse period, you will have to sit the theory test in order to receive a new "Learner's Permit". This will then be treated as a new First Learner's Permit.
    You can then apply to do your driving test, once you have your learner permit six months.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/2709-0.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to Learning to Drive.

How long has your provisional been expired for?

If it's less than 5 years you will not have to start from scratch and do the theory test. Since you have not taken your test in the last 2 years, you can still apply for a new permit however it will only be valid for 1 year.

• Advertisement

betafrog wrote: »
    What test? A driving test? You do a driving test to get a full licence not a learners permit.

If you want a learners permit you need to do a driver theory test and you don't need a licence to apply for that..

I have a provisional since 2001, im not eligible for the theory test, it says it on the back of the form that I use to apply for a new licence. I need to apply for a driving test before they will give me a new licence. You send away the licence application with proof that you have applied for another test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Since you last licence was only a Provisional and it is over 5 years expired, you will have to do the theory test in order to receive a learner's permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

colly10 wrote: »
    I have a provisional since 2001, im not eligible for the theory test, it says it on the back of the form that I use to apply for a new licence. I need to apply for a driving test before they will give me a new licence. You send away the licence application with proof that you have applied for another test

2001:eek:

Looks like you have to start from scratch and apply for the theory test again and get the eye test done etc etc.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    2001:eek:

Looks like you have to start from scratch and apply for the theory test again and get the eye test done etc etc.

It hasn't expired since then, that was my first one, i've had a few since then. I know I don't have to do any of that stuff. I read in one of the links that I have to apply for the test by post then use the confirmation to apply for the licence. I'll give that a bash, thansk everyone for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

This post has been deleted.

I think I'm in the same boat as OP.

Sent away an application for SECOND provisional (expired by about 6 months) in order to apply for test.

But received a return letter saying I needed to have applied for a test in order to get a provisional. A catch-22 indeed!

Hi,

I rang the driving test centre today. They said that I can apply online (if on 2nd/3rd provisional), using the details on my old (expired) provisional, and they will send me out a letter.

From what they said, no need to apply via post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

gavney wrote: »
    Sent away an application for SECOND [learner permit] (expired by about 6 months) in order to apply for test.

But received a return letter saying I needed to have applied for a test in order to get a [learner permit].
    Your first one expired 6 months before and you were applying for your second one? In that case, you don't need to have done a test and the letter was clearly a mistake. Or did you mean your second one had expired and you were applying for your third?

^ It's possible that I was actually applying for my THIRD- i forget :o.

In either case, when I asked on the phone yesterday, they said it doesn't matter whether it's second or third application, or whether my provisional is expire - either way I can apply online using the details from my EXPIRED provisional.

So, I applied today, and received an email confirmation of application which states that it is sufficient evidence to apply for provisional,

So, have sent away provisional application again today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

Gavney, what you're saying only applies to when one is applying for their third provisional/learners permit, as far as I can see. Just reading the form here and it states:

You may not apply for a third or subsequent learner permit...unless you can submit (a) evidence of having undergone a driving test in two year period, or (b) evidence of a forthcoming driving test appointment.

Like surely you dont need to have booked a driving test and show evidence of doing so for when applying for a second learners permit?

(I'm kind of thinking out loud here because Im applying for a second, and have lost my first!)

^ you may be right, not sure tbh.

In either case, just wanted to let ppl know that if they are asked to apply for driving test in order to get provisional, they can apply online (as opposed to post), even if they only have an expired provisional, contrary to what was being said above

Advertisement