Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of a multipack, not for individual resale?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

LeBash wrote: »
    Gucky, the real question is, why coke zero when your eating crisps and a mars icecream.

If you say taste, we all know your a liar :D

It is for taste! I reckon Coke Zero is WAY nicer than diet coke OR regular coke.
    Besides, tell me where in this post,I have said that I bought items for ME to consume?
    Ice cream Mars and the crisps were for an 8 year old niece!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

animaal wrote: »
    This pub owner did recap the bottles. The caps didn't get very bent coming off, so they seemed to pop back on easily enough.

It avoids income tax because the revenue cooperate with the drinks wholesalers - or at least that's what the pub owners believed. you can't claim to have sold 100 soft drinks if the revenue knows you bought 200 from the wholesaler. So they bought 2l bottles in supermarkets instead. They could underdeclare the amount they were selling.

Anyway, as you are also saying, I would have felt ripped off if I was a customer. But I think there isn't a big difference between this and reselling multi-packs. A pub routinely opens the drinks for customers, so the customer is never sold a sealed product anyway.

They're avoiding the VAT possibly, not the income tax, but that also means that they are putting it through the till incorrectly, which is also illegal. They're also repackaging a product and selling it as the genuine article, which is fraud, and leads to jail time, he'd probably lose his license to sell alochol as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

astrofool wrote: »
    They're avoiding the VAT possibly, not the income tax, but that also means that they are putting it through the till incorrectly, which is also illegal. They're also repackaging a product and selling it as the genuine article, which is fraud, and leads to jail time, he'd probably lose his license to sell alochol as well.

If they are paying VAT off till reads, then there is no tax evasion. As long as it is going through the till as minerals at 21%, its legit.

As for repacking a product, If they buy a two litre COKE and sell it in small bottles as COKE they ARE selling the genuine article so thats not fraud either.

The only way they are wrong is if someone notices the resealed bottles and complain as it my be contaminated/flat/not legit, but its a very long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If they are paying VAT off till reads, then there is no tax evasion. As long as it is going through the till as minerals at 21%, its legit.

If someone were fiddling, then they wouldn't be doing that, not unless they were particularly stupid fiddlers.

If there is a lot of fiddling going on, then the business will have an unusual profit margin, which will in itself trigger a visit from the vat man, who will examine the records and listen to the usual list of excuses as to why the particular pub or other business isn't making the same kind of margin as the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

CocaCola and Mars and all those companies have made their money already, they dont really care whats happened to the product after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hogzy wrote: »
    OP its probably not illegal to sell them on and tbh i seriously doubt Cadburys or Coca Cola would take any action against shop keepers for splitting multipacks. If they were stopped from doing so they would probably order less or order none at all.

Its just good business practice to let it slide, at the end of the day nobody is really losing out.

It would be different however if a shop ONLY bought multipacks and alsways split them to sell seperatly, Companies would probably definetly get a little fusy about this
    report it to the manufacturers and name the shop you bought it in, also the customer is losing out as all these offers in the many sparcentras around the country are making people think they are getting a full size pack of crisps with a full size mars bar and the drink but they are not so the retailer is misleading by comparing these multipakc products with the normal stock!
    otherwsie I'd let it be because I might be this practice which is helping stop alot of small shops from going out of business and putting even more people on the dole
    there are way too many of these small overpriced cornershops anyway it is about time thare was a cull.
    It used to be about 10% So for a tenner, we got about 1 euro.

Then the cost went up so it erroded to 7%

Then it went up again and it dropped to 5%

Now its going up again and the commission will drop to about 3.5 % This is a reduction of about 70% over the last couple of years.

ANYONE SEE A PATTERN HERE?

I have to charge a surcharge. To not do so makes it unviable. On top of this, we get a rebate per year of about half of 1%.

Not worth it really.

The ususal excuse of "it brings customers into your shop" is crap. Most dont buy anything else!
    so the retailer gets 70cent per €20 top-up and decides to add their own €2 or higher charge on top of the top-up! at least dick turpin wore a mask when robbing people.
    That's complete and utter BS and all in your head. It's the exact same product. Do you really think there is a seperate production run of diluted coke to make it cheaper to produce ? lol
    when quality on the production line falls below certain levels the special price and multipack wrappers come out!
    LaughOrDie wrote: »
    I drank 5 cans and got the scuts!
    thank you for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

foggy_lad wrote: »

so the retailer gets 70cent per €20 top-up and decides to add their own €2 or higher charge on top of the top-up! at least dick turpin wore a mask when robbing people.

Anyone in any form of retail will tell you that 3.5% is too low a margin to sustain. Most retail outlets will lose 1 - 1.5% of their stock to theft and staff errors. It's no different with phone credit. That leaves 2% to pay the bills like staffing / rent etc. You'd want to be selling an awful amount of credit to survive. ( I know that there is other products in stores but the principal is the same. )

Retail outlets in general need to be operating on 15-20% margin so I can fully understand a retailer adding a surcharge to the credit top ups. I also think that the word surcharge / charge although accurate is slightly unfortunate in what it implies. All retail is about setting a price for your goods / services based on your cost price and your operating costs. It's unfortunate that what is being sold here is a monetary amount of value which then doesn't compare favourably with the cost price but it's no different to a service charge on ticket bookings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Foggy lad out of that 3.5% the retailer must pay for the paper its printed on , the electricity to run the machine, the phoneline/broadband to download the topups , the employee to print the ticket and charge it up and the bank fees for either lodging the money or a laserfee or credit card fee.

ive no problem with a company raising the price but not when they dont let the retailer pass on the increase.

there are way too many of these small overpriced cornershops anyway it is about time thare was a cull.

nice, and if people thought that your job was overpriced and in need of a cull that would be ok?

when quality on the production line falls below certain levels the special price and multipack wrappers come out!

thank you for sharing!

Time for a cull? We would end up like america where whole towns died, like the UK where there are villages with no shop whatsoever. To get as much as a pint of milk you have to drive to an out out town supercentre that has killed all the indiginous retailer for miles around. Not a good idea. Look at that monster Walmart.

Dick Turpin? If the price of bread goes up, so does the retail.
    If the price of milk goes up, so does the retail.
    If the price of anything goes up, so does the retail.

So why not phone credit - because you think its wrong?

Think again Foggy lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I couldn't care less! Most chip shops in town sell loose multi-pack cans of coke and the chinese takeaways sell cans that clearly weren't meant for the Irish market (350ml cans). I couldnt care less, whatever keeps the prices down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I couldn't care less! Most chip shops in town sell loose multi-pack cans of coke and the chinese takeaways sell cans that clearly weren't meant for the Irish market (350ml cans). I couldnt care less, whatever keeps the prices down.
    the problem is that it is not keeping prices down as most shopkeepers are charging full price for something that should be discounted and using the argument that it is all the same price in the wholesalers is smokescreen as if something is advertised there like buy one get one free tham you can be sure the wholesalers are going to pass this offer on to their customers or risk being left with the stock!

the problem is that it is not keeping prices down as most shopkeepers are charging full price for something that should be discounted and using the argument that it is all the same price in the wholesalers is smokescreen as if something is advertised there like buy one get one free tham you can be sure the wholesalers are going to pass this offer on to their customers or risk being left with the stock!

Again you demonstrate you do not know anything about retailing.

A wholesaler is a shop for shopkeepers.

They do the same as we do. They buy at a price and sell on at a higher price.

Do you really think that a wholesaler passes on every offer they get?

Do you think they are a charity doing it for everyones good?

NO

A wholesaler is like a shop which is like any business in the world. They buy and sell in an attempt to make money.

They make profit on what they sell, take away the wages and other overheads and whats left is theirs. You are wrong in thinking that they pass on ALL the offers they get or they get left with it.

Yes, they have to be keen to attract the shopkeepers, and indeed, the shopkeepers have to be keen to attract the customers. Thats how business is.

The question here is how much money does the shop - or any shop make. Unless you know the overheads and the profit requirements of any business you are not in a position to demand they do this or that.

If you dont like it, dont shop there, its that simple.

At present, a lot of shops are losing money - plain and simple. With footfall dropping and most fixed expenses not, then you have to make more money from what you do sell. I for one, am not even trying to make profits at the moment. I am trying to make enough to pay my bills.

I cannot speak for the SPAR on another thread or anyone else, but can see this, if a lot of shopkeepers could walk away at present, they would. But some people are stuck in negative equity (like me). If I walked away, I would loose my home and with young kids, I cannot let that happen.

Some of the comments here about needing a cull of shops are outrageous. There are to many. I agree. But shutting loads down, boycotting them, and putting them out of business are plain wrong.

There are two sides to every story.

I come on here because I get irked by ejits who think its an ideal world where a Tesco should be the same price as the local corner shop, how prices are the sole responsibility of the shopkeeper. How we are making millions.

IF WE ARE MAKING SO MUCH MONEY, COME AND JOIN US - ITS GREAT :rolleyes:

Rant over
    Goodnight
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

So its the wholesalers that are to blame,

a shopkeeper buys a multi-pack product at a discount over buying them individually then breaks the pack and sells them at the full price without adding the discount they received and this is OK?

So basically nobody should complain at any level and just continue to perpetuate the problem.

Nobody forced you into your trade so your personal circumstances are your own responsibility not the 'Eijits' you rely on to buy your products.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    So its the wholesalers that are to blame,

a shopkeeper buys a multi-pack product at a discount over buying them individually then breaks the pack and sells them at the full price without adding the discount they received and this is OK?

So basically nobody should complain at any level and just continue to perpetuate the problem.

Nobody forced you into your trade so your personal circumstances are your own responsibility not the 'Eijits' you rely on to buy your products.

I never said the wholesalers are to blame !

Foggy said "and using the argument that it is all the same price in the wholesalers is smokescreen as if something is advertised there like buy one get one free tham you can be sure the wholesalers are going to pass this offer on to their customers or risk being left with the stock! "

My post was in reply to that.

There are reading classes available at your local VEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

LOL @ ^^^^^^

Advertisement