Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse stadium floodlights

Options
  • 11-01-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Anyone know if planning permission was granted? local press stated that a decision was to be made last week, haven't heard anything yet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Call the city council's planning section in the morning and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The council have delayed the decision again, requesting further clarifications on the plan. This is the fourth time I believe this has happened since the plan was submitted back in 2008. GAA have another six months to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

It should be granted.

It should not be granted.

Sconsey wrote: »
    It should not be granted.
    Why, what have you got against the odd evening league fixture during the boring old months of january and feb, it would be a great fri or sat night enterainment. i'm talking maybe 4 or 5 games that would be fixed under lights there would be no training , at maybe 2.5hours for each game thats in or around 10hours a year how can anyone disagree with that ?

• Advertisement

All right you asked :)

The application is for games and training so it would be lot more than a few hours a week (I've read the application, have you?). The lights are off the frigging scale in terms of brightness, they want them four times higher than the height of the roof of the stand, light spillage into houses would be crazy (Disclaimer: I live in one of those houses), the temporary lights they used in the past are evidence of this, along with the fact that the GAA gave no evidence of a study of light pollution as part of the submission.

There is no parking available, people just park as close to the stadium as they can, the cops sometimes put out bollards, they are ignored by the cars, the neighbourhoods nearby are gridlocked, can't get out of our own houses. By the way the GAA are in breech of current planning permission as a result, but they don't give a toss and council are too weak to enforce their own rules.

As said earlier the floodlight masts are way too high to plonk down in a resedential area, totally out of keeping with everything else and would cast shadows into houses.

Now people will say 'but the stadium was there before the houses', that's balls for two reasons, firstly there were houses there before the staduim (when most of that area was a golf course) and anyway, just because one was there before the other it doesn't mean you can build whatever you want to detriment of existing buildings/residences. And I'm not a lone nutjob on this :p a huge proportion of residences in the area have objected.

The Galway County board are clowns, the last thing they should be allowed do is play with lights at night. They have treated the local residents with contempt in the past and continue to do so.

The application is for games and training so it would be lot more than a few hours a week (I've read the application, have you?). The lights are off the frigging scale in terms of brightness, they want them four times higher than the height of the roof of the stand, light spillage into houses would be crazy (Disclaimer: I live in one of those houses), the temporary lights they used in the past are evidence of this, along with the fact that the GAA gave no evidence of a study of light pollution as part of the submission.

There is no parking available, people just park as close to the stadium as they can, the cops sometimes put out bollards, they are ignored by the cars, the neighbourhoods nearby are gridlocked, can't get out of our own houses. By the way the GAA are in breech of current planning permission as a result, but they don't give a toss and council are too weak to enforce their own rules.

As said earlier the floodlight masts are way too high to plonk down in a resedential area, totally out of keeping with everything else and would cast shadows into houses.

Now people will say 'but the stadium was there before the houses', that's balls for two reasons, firstly there were houses there before the staduim (when most of that area was a golf course) and anyway, just because one was there before the other it doesn't mean you can build whatever you want to detriment of existing buildings/residences. And I'm not a lone nutjob on this :p a huge proportion of residences in the area have objected.

The Galway County board are clowns, the last thing they should be allowed do is play with lights at night. They have treated the local residents with contempt in the past and continue to do so.
    Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the serial objectors of rockbarton/mannix road object again, surprise surprise!

the stadium was there long before your houses, buyer beware and all that! this is only for 4/5 nights a year as well!

skelliser wrote: »
    the serial objectors of rockbarton/mannix road object again, surprise surprise!

the stadium was there long before your houses, buyer beware and all that! this is only for 4/5 nights a year as well!

And the uninformed continue to post on boards as if they know what they are talking about..../applause

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They should have left the whole thing in Tuam!

Would have been all their problems sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

To be honest you do sound like a nut. Its not as if there will be matches on at 3-4 in the morning. The matches and training will be long over at 10pm. Its hardly excessive. The football board have a fine facility in loughgeorge and the hurling board are building one in Athenry so the amount of training going on in the stadium will be minimal.

As regards the parking issue. This can be sorted easily enough with some cop on and a bit of planning. Its not surely a valid issue to stop the building of some floodlights.

If I sound like a nut it is because the guys running the stadium have driven me nuts! and it's not just me, it's hundreds of people living in the vicinity. They have treated locals like sh1t in the past and are paying the price now...e.g: yeah it would be fairly easy to fix the parking problems, well it's about 10 years on now and they still have not made any attempt to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

By the way the GAA are in breech of current planning permission as a result, but they don't give a toss and council are too weak to enforce their own rules.

Am I correct in saying that the planning permission was provided in the first p;ace for the redevelopment of the stadium as the GAA said that they would implement a park & ride facility from the outskirts of the city?

The GAA Officials have shown their contempt for the law in the past when a van selling tickets blocked a resident's driveway. When the Garda asked the person to move the van, he was told that the ticket vendor only took orders from the GAA. The Garda left him alone afetr that instead of hauling his ass off to the Garda Station. I don't have a link to this story, but it was well documented in the local papers, Advertiser and City Tribune) at the time.

The best story I heard occurred last year when a person attending the match with his family parked his car in a resident's driveway as it was clear at the time. The resident returned while the match was on and subsequently blocked the offending car. He refused to move it until late that night, eventhough the person returning from the match had children with him.

If the GAA want floodlights in a stadium, they should have developed the Tuam stadium instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If I sound like a nut it is because the guys running the stadium have driven me nuts! and it's not just me, it's hundreds of people living in the vicinity. They have treated locals like sh1t in the past and are paying the price now...e.g: yeah it would be fairly easy to fix the parking problems, well it's about 10 years on now and they still have not made any attempt to fix it.

Is the setup not similar to Terryland Park?...there were always cars parked around Dun when i lived there and I was right by the stadium...didn't find it all that bad. The lights were on quite a bit too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

Am I correct in saying that the planning permission was provided in the first p;ace for the redevelopment of the stadium as the GAA said that they would implement a park & ride facility from the outskirts of the city?

The GAA Officials have shown their contempt for the law in the past when a van selling tickets blocked a resident's driveway. When the Garda asked the person to move the van, he was told that the ticket vendor only took orders from the GAA. The Garda left him alone afetr that instead of hauling his ass off to the Garda Station. I don't have a link to this story, but it was well documented in the local papers, Advertiser and City Tribune) at the time.

The best story I heard occurred last year when a person attending the match with his family parked his car in a resident's driveway as it was clear at the time. The resident returned while the match was on and subsequently blocked the offending car. He refused to move it until late that night, eventhough the person returning from the match had children with him.

If the GAA want floodlights in a stadium, they should have developed the Tuam stadium instead

If you could post a link that verifies some of this nonsense I would really appreciate it.

There are houses around Tuam stadium too you know. Very much a NIMBY attitude. I don't see why residents think that they have the right to object to be honest.

If you could post a link that verifies some of this nonsense I would really appreciate it.

There are houses around Tuam stadium too you know. Very much a NIMBY attitude. I don't see why residents think that they have the right to object to be honest.

I know the original redevelopment was granted planning based on a number of conditions, one was a proper parking plain to be put in place and to provide parking in the Prarie. Never happened, surprise surprise.

The two stories are true and are reported to the guards, I think if you are really interested in the details you should search blogspot for a blog called 'pearsestadium' (I don't have the link handy) it documents a portion of the crap that they have pulled in the last few years.

You don't think anyone has the right to object? seriously?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Is the setup not similar to Terryland Park?...there were always cars parked around Dun when i lived there and I was right by the stadium...didn't find it all that bad. The lights were on quite a bit too
    I doubt the numbers would be anywhere near the same.
    Also the the Dyke road car park is relatively close.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I do know, it takes me 2 mins to get from my front door to the stadium gates.
    I don't think there would have been much objection here because what the Galway matches brought to the town was a lot. Businesses got a good day and there is ample parking.

there where no objections to either the terryland and sportsground floodlights.
    Both in heavly populated areas, plus the sportsground lights are on until 10pm at night.

The fact is that the residents in salthill where against the redevelopment in the first place, plus saying that the paerie would be turned into a carpark is nonsense! Salthill gaa club and pearse stadium are seperate organisations!!

Whats the difference between the residents at the above sites; teryland, college road and rockbarton?
    NIMBY!

skelliser wrote: »
    there where no objections to either the terryland and sportsground floodlights.
    Both in heavly populated areas, plus the sportsground lights are on until 10pm at night.

The fact is that the residents in salthill where against the redevelopment in the first place, plus saying that the paerie would be turned into a carpark is nonsense! Salthill gaa club and pearse stadium are seperate organisations!!

Whats the difference between the residents at the above sites; teryland, college road and rockbarton?
    NIMBY!

You seem to have your mind firmly made up there skelliser, so you keep chanting your NIMBY! mantra to yourself and ignore facts that don't suit you. Actually you probably have no idea of the facts do you? if I was arsed I'd check to see if there were actually any objections to the two sites you mentioned, how exactly do you know there were no objections?

Terryland and Sportsground may have local residents that don't give a damn I don't know, I'm not going to speak for them, but you are not comparing like with like.
    Residents were never too happy about the redevlopment, it was the GAA who said they would use the Prarie for parking to meet planning requirements (did I mention Galway County board will say anything they want in a planning application, truth is not an issue for them apparently).

• Advertisement

Lets call a spade a spade here, Sconesy
    Where you against the original redevelopment?

Your only gripe seems to be the parking situation, i agree with you there, adequate parking plans have not really been implemented but i get the impression that you are part of the original residents who where against the redevelopment in the first place, am i wrong?

I know for a fact there was no objections to the sportsground floodlights, only stipulation was that the lights be turned off immedialty after matches, race nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I wonder if a compensation scheme for local residents was put in place by the GAA and pearse stadium would the fears of the locals be allayed?

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I wonder if a compensation scheme for local residents was put in place by the GAA and pearse stadium would the fears of the locals be allayed?

No! compensation of two tickets to Westlife in the pi$$ing rain would be more like a penance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

No! compensation of two tickets to Westlife in the pi$$ing rain would be more like a penance :p

No resideants got tickets for any of the gigs. Rumours (unsubstantiated) are that the promoters allocated tickets to residents via the local GAA which were then given to its own members.

I know the original redevelopment was granted planning based on a number of conditions, one was a proper parking plain to be put in place and to provide parking in the Prarie. Never happened, surprise surprise.

Come on there is about 2 or 3 matches a year in pearse that parking/traffic could be a problem are you really that awkward that you cannot but up with a bit of inconvenience for a few hours a couple of Sundays a year. I dont even see the problem with people parking around the area once they dont block drive ways etc.

The flood lights should be granted also. It will make for a nice evening out to watch a game on a saturday evening and will cause little of no inconvience. I'm afraid if you want to live in a city you have to be prepared to accept progress and development. How would you survive if you lived near a stadium in a UK city for instance where there are games twice a week where up to 50000 people decent on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Sure if he light is spilling into your house turn off your lights and save money on electricity! Simples! Everyone is happy!

Come on there is about 2 or 3 matches a year in pearse that parking/traffic could be a problem are you really that awkward that you cannot but up with a bit of inconvenience for a few hours a couple of Sundays a year. I dont even see the problem with people parking around the area once they dont block drive ways etc.

The flood lights should be granted also. It will make for a nice evening out to watch a game on a saturday evening and will cause little of no inconvience. I'm afraid if you want to live in a city you have to be prepared to accept progress and development. How would you survive if you lived near a stadium in a UK city for instance where there are games twice a week where up to 50000 people decent on the ground.

Well it goes to show how much you know really, you are no different from the vast majority who think there is no problem and people are moaning for no reason.

You say there are 2 or 3 matches a year where the traffic is a problem? I am guessing you are referring to championship games, these games ironically are not the worst because the guards are actually out and about. It's the club matches, Saturday evening and all day Sunday that are a real pain in the ass, but according to you they cause little or no inconvenience? I am speaking from experience, how about you? Too many people assume they know what is going on when they really don't have a clue. The GAA have made many commitments which they have not lived up to. Their organisation is a mess, and as a result it is having a negative effect on quality of life for local residents, there is no way I am going to stand by while they try to extend that bullsh1t to night-times as well as day.

I'll bet the games you refer to in England are not managed/organised by dummies, the Pearse stadium games are. I'll bet the English stadiums managers actually provided the infrastructure that they committed to in their planning application. I'd even go so far as to say the English police probably make a descent effort to keep the roads clear during games, in Galway it's a different story.

So no, I disagree with you, the floodlights should not be granted. And that's just the parking, there are other reasons too but I don't want to repeat myself.
    G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Whatever about floodlights, I just hope that more use is gotten out of the stadium during Championship season this year. I see we'll get a fair few league games but it's a shame having it empty for backdoor fixtures.

Oh and somewhat related Doubts surround McHale Park floodlit opener

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that Galway City Council have sought more information from the GAA authorities which means that any decision has been delayed for months. A decision was expected late last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

comicalali.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement