Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse stadium floodlights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sconsey wrote: »
    This is the kind of attitude the local GAA

This would be the broad allegation I was talking about. You don't know what happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sgthighway wrote: »
    Things like Car Parking & Traffic sould not come into play for an Application for Floodlights becaue ...

Except that if the applicant has a history of telling porkies in their previous applications, the council has no reason to believe what they're saying about what they'll do now.

IMHO if any organisation promised to do X, gets planning on the basis of that, and they does X-50, the planning should be revoked.

That's why we have a planning system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

JustMary wrote: »
    Except that if the applicant has a history of telling porkies in their previous applications, the council has no reason to believe what they're saying about what they'll do now.

IMHO if any organisation promised to do X, gets planning on the basis of that, and they does X-50, the planning should be revoked.

That's why we have a planning system.

Thank you, having read your post, I think you have quite eloquently made a point that I have been trying to make for the last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Light pollution, noise pollution, eyesore, change of use, shadows...[/quote]

Shadows - :D ah stop!

What's this dig at local GAA, did you not get picked on the under 14 team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

The gaaahhhh have SERIOUS questions to answer now, serious serious questions. Looking forward to seeing them trying to wriggle out of this one.
    Don't mock the poster who says shadows will be a factor with the new lights, we're not talking a 40 watt bulb in a Judy Greene lamp, this is a seriously tall structure with serious wattage that will cast serious shadows over people's homes, a previous address of mine had 'shadow' issues and it is not much fun, believe me

• Advertisement

Shadows - :D ah stop!

What's this dig at local GAA, did you not get picked on the under 14 team?

You got me, yeah that's why I have a problem with the GAA :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be honest if I lived anywhere near Pearse Stadium I would be in every few nights watching either the Galway footballers or hurlers training. But that's just me (actually the footballers don't even train at Pearse anymore). I appreciate that maybe Galway GAA should have developed their own green field site east of the city rather than redevelop Pearse as the place is a pure bottleneck traffic wise. However we are where we are.

That said Pearse Stadium has been there donkey's years. Far longer than most of the local residents. I think it's a bit rich of some of them to kick up a stink about Pearse when the GAA contributes so much to the local community. That said most of the locals probably wouldn't know a set of GAA posts from a set of chopsticks and there are some influential NIMBY's out that direction. Christ there is feck all games in Pearse anyway in the grand scheme of things. Even my old fella was complaining about the lack of games there after buying the 6 year tickets.

At the end of the day if you value your local GAA club or Galway GAA you probably have no problem with Pearse apart from the woeful traffic a few Sundays each year. If you have no interest in GAA the whole thing is probably a dreadful inconvenience for you in between Sunday brunch.

.... when the GAA contributes so much to the local community. That said most of the locals probably wouldn't know a set of GAA posts from a set of chopsticks and there are some influential NIMBY's out that direction. .... there is feck all games in Pearse anyway in the grand scheme of things.

If lights are installed, will that mean there can be more night matches played? (And so more times per year when there's parking chaos in the neighbourhood).

Also, can you tell us a bit about what the GAA "contributes to the local community". I am truly mystified about this, as I've never heard of them sponsoring anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Drove up Ballymoney road on Saturday night, Cars parked on either side of the Road. Church goers causing parking chaos at mass time. How do they get away with it.

Don't get me started on Raleigh Row with Parents dropping off and picking up there kids. Double parking, there should shut the school down. Not fair on the locals.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Tedole wrote: »
    The gaaahhhh have SERIOUS questions to answer now, serious serious questions. Looking forward to seeing them trying to wriggle out of this one.
    Don't mock the poster who says shadows will be a factor with the new lights, we're not talking a 40 watt bulb in a Judy Greene lamp, this is a seriously tall structure with serious wattage that will cast serious shadows over people's homes, a previous address of mine had 'shadow' issues and it is not much fun, believe me

:confused:Galway does not anything close to a seriously tall structure.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

as i said previously, no issues with the tallness or light from either the sports ground or terryland floodlights

To be honest if I lived anywhere near Pearse Stadium I would be in every few nights watching either the Galway footballers or hurlers training. But that's just me (actually the footballers don't even train at Pearse anymore). I appreciate that maybe Galway GAA should have developed their own green field site east of the city rather than redevelop Pearse as the place is a pure bottleneck traffic wise. However we are where we are.

That said Pearse Stadium has been there donkey's years. Far longer than most of the local residents. I think it's a bit rich of some of them to kick up a stink about Pearse when the GAA contributes so much to the local community. That said most of the locals probably wouldn't know a set of GAA posts from a set of chopsticks and there are some influential NIMBY's out that direction. Christ there is feck all games in Pearse anyway in the grand scheme of things. Even my old fella was complaining about the lack of games there after buying the 6 year tickets.

At the end of the day if you value your local GAA club or Galway GAA you probably have no problem with Pearse apart from the woeful traffic a few Sundays each year. If you have no interest in GAA the whole thing is probably a dreadful inconvenience for you in between Sunday brunch.

Hate to keep repeating myself here but people keep repeating their same misconceptions....some houses were there before the Pearse but it's not relevant anyway, planning decisions are based on the current staus and impact, nobody has a right to build whatever they want because 'they were there first'.

Again, there are more than two or three games on there a year, there are club games on almost every weekend when the season starts up.

Oh and you might want to keep your biased opinions about the type of people that live in the area to yourself, it doesn't bring anything constructive to the debate and makes you look a bit ignorant.
    Starie1975 wrote: »
    Drove up Ballymoney road on Saturday night, Cars parked on either side of the Road. Church goers causing parking chaos at mass time. How do they get away with it.

Don't get me started on Raleigh Row with Parents dropping off and picking up there kids. Double parking, there should shut the school down. Not fair on the locals.:rolleyes:

So? there are problems in the city, are you saying we should allow these problems to worsen just because they exist in places already? how would residents on Raleigh Row feel if the school decided they wanted to double their capacity making the existing problem worse? just because there are existing problems doesn't mean it's ok to allow them to get worse :rolleyes:
    skelliser wrote: »
    as i said previously, no issues with the tallness or light from either the sports ground or terryland floodlights

As I said previously, are you comparing like with like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ocho

Aren't these masts going to be something like 40 metres tall. With around 200 floodlights in total?

I remember the place looked fantastic for the Aussie Rules game a couple of years ago, but walking down Dr Mannix Road to see it was like something from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

And, regardless of whether or not the floodlights should get the go-ahead, has nobody got an issue with the GAA forging a bloody Garda signature? Or that the Council have accused the GAA of misleading them over how many matches/events/training sessions will be under lights.

It seems the lights will be in use almost every day of the year, contrary to what some posters have said about "four or five matches a year".

I really hope the GAA get pulled up on this once and for all. No different to other sections of society that have traditionally held a little too much power.

PS I should clarify. I don't live anywhere near the stadium, so I don't have an axe to grind per se, but I have sympathy for the residents. I've always thought that when it was dormant for most of the 90s, county GAA should have moved to Tuam Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

ocho wrote: »
    And, regardless of whether or not the floodlights should get the go-ahead, has nobody got an issue with the GAA forging a bloody Garda signature? Or that the Council have accused the GAA of misleading them over how many matches/events/training sessions will be under lights.
    Didn't know anybody proved the GAA forged a Garda Signature?
    Didn't know the Council accused the GAA of misleading them over how many matches/events/training sessions will be under lights.

The Galway Hurlers or Footballers do not train in Pearse Stadium but they do go for a kick/puck around there the odd time before big matches. The public are allowed in for free to watch these sessions.
    Some players like Joe Canning and Michael Meehan go out there with one or 2 other lads practicing free taking.

Other events outside of the GAA would require planning permission.

sgthighway wrote: »
    Didn't know anybody proved the GAA forged a Garda Signature?
    Didn't know the Council accused the GAA of misleading them over how many matches/events/training sessions will be under lights.

Did you check out the link to the article in the Tribune? It looks like someone forged the signature, the gardaí are investigating. The council are quoted in the same article as suspecting the planning submitters have attempted to deceive them in relation to the number of matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Tedole

galwayrush wrote: »
    :confused:Galway does not anything close to a seriously tall structure.:rolleyes:
    In relation to the surrounding environment, the proposed floodlights would be 'seriously tall structures'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Does anyone know if forging a Garda signature is illegal? Certainly sounds like it would be.

Doesn't look good for the GAA at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Does anyone know if forging a Garda signature is illegal? Certainly sounds like it would be.

Doesn't look good for the GAA at all.

I'd assume forging anybody's signature would be illegal.

Sometimes the GAA almost seems like it's trying hard to not look good...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

There are lots of people in the GAA, that I'm sure are trying to be as forward-thinking as possible and who also want to shake-off all of the negative stereotypes often levelled on the association... then these muppets go and do this. Comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Also, can you tell us a bit about what the GAA "contributes to the local community". I am truly mystified about this, as I've never heard of them sponsoring anything.

Well presumably all those hundreds of kids that train every week at Salthill GAA or have matches at weekends would have to find something new to occupy their time or maybe they would just be free to wander the streets after school and during weekends?

Not to mention how beneficial joining a GAA club can be in terms of engendering a sense of community pride, discipline, teamwork, work ethic and self-development amongst young people. And that's not even mentioning things like it's actually enjoyable and fun to partake in sport.

Apart from that though I guess they contribute very little. I mean what do people who want their driveways clear 365 days of the year contribute to their local community? The answer is feck all.

And I actually agree that every effort should be made that their driveways are kept clear because in fairness they do have that right.

• Advertisement

Well presumably all those hundreds of kids that train every week at Salthill GAA or have matches at weekends would have to find something new to occupy their time or maybe they would just be free to wander the streets after school and during weekends?

Eh? So earlier on it was "feck all games" held there, now it's hundreds of kids training each week and at matches at weekends? Ehhh????
    Not to mention how beneficial joining a GAA club can be in terms of engendering a sense of community pride, discipline, teamwork, work ethic and self-development amongst young people. And that's not even mentioning things like it's actually enjoyable and fun to partake in sport.

No different to scouts, soccer, drama classes, the brass-band, martial arts, boxing, gymnastics, hockey etc. They all manage to contribute without antagonising anyone.
    Apart from that though I guess they contribute very little. I mean what do people who want their driveways clear 365 days of the year contribute to their local community? The answer is feck all.

Well I know, or know of, people who teach literacy to refugees, volunteer at the hospital or cancer-care centre, build houses in poor countries overseas, sing in nursing homes, lead music in churches, raise money for the children's hospital. Most of 'em would definitly want their driveways kept clear, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No different to scouts, soccer, drama classes, the brass-band, martial arts, boxing, gymnastics, hockey etc. They all manage to contribute without antagonising anyone.

Oh my, are you serious? In no way can these activities impact on any community to the extent that the gaa can and has done for decades in this country. To even suggest so is ridiculous. I'm no great fan of the gaa but credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Eh? So earlier on it was "feck all games" held there, now it's hundreds of kids training each week and at matches at weekends? Ehhh????

there are numerous teams from senior right down to 6 year olds that train and play matches in Football, Hurling, Ladies Football and Camogie every week in the praerie and the aras and have done for nearly 40 years.

Not to mention all the social activities that go on down there and the numerous all-ireland winning players it has produced and the little matter of the salthill football team winning the all-ireland club championship in 2006.

but lets not let those facts get in the way of some good old GAA bashing!

The only issue i see in this thread is parking, an issue which should be addressed once and for all.
    The rest is just NIMBYISM and GAA bashing

Underage training and matches would have no effect on traffic, kids would be dropped of mostly and even for matches people parking would be minimal.

Of all you listed there soccer would be the only sport which would cater for numbers near the GAA. The up take on the others would be very small in reality.

As mentioned above there is a lot of GAA bashing going on here. Honestly complaining about flood lights, look at all the astro-turf pitches around the country in residential areas with flood lights on 7 nights a week or a bit of traffic an odd saturday evening or sunday afternoon, that people a few minutes away in the city center or on commuter routes have at least 5 days a week every week.

Instead of complaining why not go and watch the games and get a bit of enjoyment from watching a good game of football or Hurling. I'm sure a lot people would like to live so close to the home ground of their county football and hurling teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sandy Wedge

If lights are installed, will that mean there can be more night matches played? (And so more times per year when there's parking chaos in the neighbourhood).

Mary, if you were around when the wheel was invented you would probally have objected. I'm no fan of the GAA but they are embedded in the community and contibute far more than some big shot writing a cheque and looking for PR and headlines, they are local people who are there all the time good or bad. In times of tragedy or crisis in rural areas they are often the people who come to the aid of people in need and mobilise automatically because they have a sence of community, thats obviously something you have little knowledge of.

skelliser wrote: »
    The only issue i see in this thread is parking, an issue which should be addressed once and for all.
    The rest is just NIMBYISM and GAA bashing

You keep the blinkers on there skelliser, you can only see what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Mary, if you were around when the wheel was invented you would probally have objected. I'm no fan of the GAA but they are embedded in the community and contibute far more than some big shot writing a cheque and looking for PR and headlines, they are local people who are there all the time good or bad. In times of tragedy or crisis in rural areas they are often the people who come to the aid of people in need and mobilise automatically because they have a sence of community, thats obviously something you have little knowledge of.

What positives have the GAA contributed to Salthill?

You can go in about their contribution to rural areas as these are the places where they get most support and contributions to teams via players and fundraising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Are you even familiar with the layout down there i.e. the praerie pitch is where most underage stuff takes places. Unless you think U-8's will be on in Pearse at 8 p.m....

Honestly you come across as someone completely ignorant of the situation and merely out with a grind to axe against the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

What positives have the GAA contributed to Salthill?

Leaving aside any notions of community pride in their achievements etc, the GAA by holding matches up in Pearse stadium has contributed enormously to the local economy of Salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

As the general argument seems to be relating to the parking in the area i would like to know how the introduction of flood lights is going to worsen the problem? Just because there are floodlights doesnt mean that there will be any more games been played? the GAA arent going to just make up a new league or championship because they have floodlights set up? the same number of games will be played which means the same amount of parking problems. So as far as the parking argument that should be forgotten in this thread because that isnt going to get any worse, even if training is increased its not going to effect parking . The argument here should be about the flood lights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement