Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearse stadium floodlights

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Did I mention Tuam Stadium?? Was just making the point that the vast majority of players and clubs hate playing in Pearse Stadium. The hurlers would sooner play all of their matches in Athenry and the footballers both at club and county level would prefer Tuam or Ballinasloe. As regards clubs from West Galway, I'm sure Inverin would be much more preferable than Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Was up beside the Pearse stadium , there was the Galway vs Monaghan playing , again Car parked every where , up on the Grass , paths , blocking drive ways .No car parks opened been told pitch beside Aras Bothar na Trá is for 500 cars ,NOT open , Gate LOCKED , Coláiste Éinde it one on Threadneedle Road was also Closed aswell and gate down beside the cross road Gates there ( Both where chained Locked )St Endas College 1100 cars ,St Marys College 2000 cars ,Knocknacarra Church 200 cars Scoil Einde 120 cars "that for GAA use only" . Very limited parking available within the vicinity of Pearse Stadium . Many roads close to Pearse Stadium have restricted access and are under garda control. no cops seen two day .
    . tock me just under hour to get from from town to salthill and tought i be fast going back via westside . NO tock 2 hours two get to work to day ( GBFM will full off complates again ) My mates told me this happen where its big are small Matches , and for police around , guy top off Threadneedle keep you hand in you pocked was best think two do . Is this Ireland are do u build every thing worng here , Most the Stadium i been two have ample parking in area run my companys , Your told about public bus r trains . Thomond Park put on a big show and park wrong and having your car lifted by the cops . The Gardai closed off the roads and residential area closures in effect for the last game was there for , For publice car park area posted all over the place ,
    what going two be like with floodlight , a big miss and when turn off the light god wont beable fine you car the street are dark out there , dont think school are going two open for night time matchs
    there no floodlight on the school carparks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looks like they need to build a massive multi storey car park as well.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

extraice wrote: »
    Is this Ireland are do u build every thing worng here ,

Harsh ... they did quite a good at Newgrange.

I was back there at the Galway match yesterday. Kept an eye out especially with this thread in mind. Couldn't see any problems tbh. No drive ways blocked and very little extra traffic. Now it wasn't the biggest crowd but there were still lots of cars to be parked and they were all parked sensibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

:D
    Was up beside the Pearse stadium , there was the Galway vs Monaghan playing , again Car parked every where , up on the Grass , paths , blocking drive ways .No car parks opened been told pitch beside Aras Bothar na Trá is for 500 cars ,NOT open , Gate LOCKED , Coláiste Éinde it one on Threadneedle Road was also Closed aswell and gate down beside the cross road Gates there ( Both where chained Locked )St Endas College 1100 cars ,St Marys College 2000 cars ,Knocknacarra Church 200 cars Scoil Einde 120 cars "that for GAA use only" . Very limited parking available within the vicinity of Pearse Stadium . Many roads close to Pearse Stadium have restricted access and are under garda control. no cops seen two day .
    . tock me just under hour to get from from town to salthill and tought i be fast going back via westside . NO tock 2 hours two get to work to day ( GBFM will full off complates again ) My mates told me this happen where its big are small Matches , and for police around , guy top off Threadneedle keep you hand in you pocked was best think two do . Is this Ireland are do u build every thing worng here , Most the Stadium i been two have ample parking in area run my companys , Your told about public bus r trains . Thomond Park put on a big show and park wrong and having your car lifted by the cops . The Gardai closed off the roads and residential area closures in effect for the last game was there for , For publice car park area posted all over the place ,
    what going two be like with floodlight , a big miss and when turn off the light god wont beable fine you car the street are dark out there , dont think school are going two open for night time matchs
    there no floodlight on the school carparks

Does anyone remember Pudsey Ryan from The Far East Magazine?:D

I walked up from St Marys Road to the stadium and home again, there was loads of parking yesterday because there was feck all at the match. As many from Monaghan as Galway. Monaghan supporters were very impressed with the stadium (check the Monaghan page on hoganstand).

"again Car parked every where , up on the Grass , paths , blocking drive ways" this is a lie - plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Was up at the match, didn't see any incidents described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Starie1975 wrote: »
    "again Car parked every where , up on the Grass , paths , blocking drive ways" this is a lie - plain and simple.

Tut tut, you really shouldn't go round calling people liars, you are mistaken if you think there was no dodgy parking on Sunday, my personal favorite was the car parked the junction of Dr Manix and Threadneedle road, the cops had bollards on the road so this genius decided to park completely on the footpath right beside the no-parking bollard...

anyway, Starie just because you clam not to have seen any of this I won't call you a liar, I'll just say you are mistaken.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Tut tut, you really shouldn't go round calling people liars, you are mistaken if you think there was no dodgy parking on Sunday, my personal favorite was the car parked the junction of Dr Manix and Threadneedle road, the cops had bollards on the road so this genius decided to park completely on the footpath right beside the no-parking bollard...

anyway, Starie just because you clam not to have seen any of this I won't call you a liar, I'll just say you are mistaken.

So one car?..... wasn't at the game so can't comment on who or who didn't park illegally but who was to say this person even went to the game?

Was up beside the Pearse stadium , there was the Galway vs Monaghan playing , again Car parked every where , up on the Grass , paths , blocking drive ways .

As I said above I walked past a lot of parked cars on my way to the ground and didn't see one car blocking a driveway. I think its fair game to park on the grass and up on the footpath once you are not blocking it. Any car I saw on the footpath was not blocking it and complaining about this sort of thing really is scraping the bottom of the barrel and complaining for the sake of it.

. tock me just under hour to get from from town to salthill and tought i be fast going back via westside . NO tock 2 hours two get to work to day ( GBFM will full off complates again )

I left home (14 miles outside galway city) at 1:30 and was parked and inside pearce stadium before 2:15 going back over the bridge and westside (with a bit of a short cut through a few estates) so I don't see how it took you nearly an hour from town. After the game I left with the crowd and had no problem getting back into town only took a few mins, the traffic around town was down to the novena and them stupid pointless lights at wellpark not the match.

• Advertisement

:D Funny dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

I think a call for pics is in order!

I'm finding it a bit hard to imagine how anyone can park on the footpath without blocking it. Maybe I'm just running short on imagination today.

Dragged myself to Pearse Stadium yesterday to witness a venue devoid of atmosphere . . . of course not helped by the smallish crowd and dreary football. In fairness, saw no major traffic infringements. Yes, a couple of cars on the footpaths but not making life difficult for pedestrians or anything. Didn't see any car blocking a driveway and I was looking out for this too.

unJustMary wrote: »
    I think a call for pics is in order!

I'm finding it a bit hard to imagine how anyone can park on the footpath without blocking it. Maybe I'm just running short on imagination today.

Quite wide footpaths and cars only having 2 wheels up therefore leaving room to pass.

So one car?..... wasn't at the game so can't comment on who or who didn't park illegally but who was to say this person even went to the game?

I'd say it's a fair assumption that the car I mentioned did belong to a match go'er but yeah just my assumption and not a big deal for you or me but anyone in a wheelchair wouldn't feel the same way.

In fairness there were feck all parking issues on Sunday, the guards had bollards out and the majority of people seemed to take notice of them, that's not par for the course though in my experience.

The point is, if the Pearse management developed the stadium as they said they would in the planning, there would have been proper parking available, which there wasn't and never has been since they re-developed. Remember it was a condition of their planning permission, a condition they have outright ignored (among many) for the last ten years. And that's one of my main problems, I don't believe a word of what they say anymore, they are full of it. Even if they were a trusworthy organisation I would not be keen on floodlights in my back yard but added to their past record (and current transgressions) is it any wonder that so many people are objecting? People can say 'residents are being a**holes', I'd respond that the majority of people who say that are ignorant of the facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd respond that the majority of people who say that are ignorant of the facts.

Yeah, Pearse Stadium was originally built in a country bog in the 1950s and then people bought houses all around it since the 1960s.

It was a bit hard to miss :D Having said that the City Council have no planners around on Sunday to observe compliance with their own conditions , go whine at them.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yeah, Pearse Stadium was originally built in a country bog in the 1950s and then people bought houses all around it since the 1960s.

sorry forgot to spell it out for you.....'ignorant of relevant facts'.

Rest of your post back to your usual moronic tone so will give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

dec25532 wrote: »
    Dragged myself to Pearse Stadium yesterday to witness a venue devoid of atmosphere . . .

What are you talking about, the musical intro to the second half was soaring :pac:

toiletduck wrote: »
    What are you talking about, the musical intro to the second half was soaring :pac:

Thats a fact :p, in case you miss it..................

http://failtetours.xanga.com/710880865/siar-go-conamara/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I was at the game on Sunday and out of nowhere after the game I had my first ever confrontation with a resident. Well not me personally as I was only in a friend's car but I was witness to the whole thing.

Bascially my friend parked up on the hill at the back of Pearse. Not covering any driveway or on any double yellow lines. We get back to the car after the match and as we are about to drive away we hear a big roar coming from across the road. This man then emerges from a doorway and slowly walks towards us. We roll down the passenger side window to see what he wants. He proceeds to go absolutely mental claiming we are blocking him from going in and out of his driveway on the opposite side of the road to where we are parked.

I looked across the road and it is no joke to say you could have driven a bus in and out of his driveway if you wanted to. Anyway he's effing and blinding at us calling us every name under the sun while we just sat there kinda dumbstruck as we didn't know what to say to this man who was bascially going off his rocker who looked fit to explode. My mate just apologised (even though he didn't really have anything to apologise for) to which we got another dose of abuse with language that would have made Bernard Manning blush.

To be honest all we could do was laugh all the way home. It was so surreal.

• Advertisement

I was at the game on Sunday and out of nowhere after the game I had my first ever confrontation with a resident. Well not me personally as I was only in a friend's car but I was witness to the whole thing.

Bascially my friend parked up on the hill at the back of Pearse. Not covering any driveway or on any double yellow lines. We get back to the car after the match and as we are about to drive away we hear a big roar coming from across the road. This man then emerges from a doorway and slowly walks towards us. We roll down the passenger side window to see what he wants. He proceeds to go absolutely mental claiming we are blocking him from going in and out of his driveway on the opposite side of the road to where we are parked.

I looked across the road and it is no joke to say you could have driven a bus in and out of his driveway if you wanted to. Anyway he's effing and blinding at us calling us every name under the sun while we just sat there kinda dumbstruck as we didn't know what to say to this man who was bascially going off his rocker who looked fit to explode. My mate just apologised (even though he didn't really have anything to apologise for) to which we got another dose of abuse with language that would have made Bernard Manning blush.

To be honest all we could do was laugh all the way home. It was so surreal.

Stories like that more or less confirm what I already think, which is that a lot of residents are not really being inconvenienced at all by matches and probably just have something against the gaa or just like kicking up a fuss.

If I was in your position op I would have launched a litany of abuse back at him that he wouldn't forget for a while.

Stories like that more or less confirm what I already think, which is that a lot of residents are not really being inconvenienced at all by matches and probably just have something against the gaa or just like kicking up a fuss.

Yes that must be it, all these people are just pissed with the GAA for no apparent reason and enjoy kicking up a fuss :rolleyes:...over a hundred objections just for the enjoyment, never mind the hassle and cost involved...really?

The guy in the story sounded like a dick by the way, no defending that kind of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yes that must be it, all these people are just pissed with the GAA for no apparent reason and enjoy kicking up a fuss :rolleyes:...over a hundred objections just for the enjoyment, never mind the hassle and cost involved...really?

The guy in the story sounded like a dick by the way, no defending that kind of craic.
    Who's to say that the 100 objections aren't made up of more like him!They may and they may not

Who's to say that the 100 objections aren't made up of more like him!They may and they may not

If more were like him I would have expected about 100 people running up and down the street ranting and raving :)

Anyway, I know a lot of the people involved and I can say they are not like yerman. Very few actually go out and confront people when they are blocked in (more's the pity), I've never seen or heard of anyone going spare about a situation like that described above, so I don't think it really reflects the majority.

If everyone living round the stadium acted like that fella then there would be war every time a game is on, which is why I think Stevie Rapid Sesame's statement is flawed. He is taking a one-off situation and using it to more or less justify his belief that the majority of people in the area are like that nutter.

Back to the floodlights for a moment, it is unlikely anything will happen for a good while as long as the Garda investigation into the forged signature on a planning document is resolved. Even when it is, it is unlikely that Galway City Council will grant planning in view of what has happened. Probably will end up in the lap of An Bord Pleanala eventually.

dec25532 wrote: »
    Back to the floodlights for a moment, it is unlikely anything will happen for a good while as long as the Garda investigation into the forged signature on a planning document is resolved. Even when it is, it is unlikely that Galway City Council will grant planning in view of what has happened. Probably will end up in the lap of An Bord Pleanala eventually.

Agreed! let's let it go and see what happens, I think it is out of all our hands at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Agreed! let's let it go and see what happens, I think it is out of all our hands at this stage....

Well put.

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement