Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design Portfolio ?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi :)
    I'm an ex fine art student and now I'm thinking of doing a graphic design portfolio preparation course next september. From Cork originally, now living in Dublin I have just found Colaiste Ide doing a full time graphic design portfolio course encompassing a wide range of elements within it.
    Does anyone know of any other full time 1 year graphic design portfolio courses which might suit me within the Dublin city (ish) area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

i'mn a little out of touch...

Is a "portfolio" course what they used to call a "foundation" course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

im pretty sure a portfolio course is a course that helps your build up a portfolio to present to a college for an application to get into said college.

At least thats my understanding of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Joolika

Yeah red ice is right, a portfolio course is one in which is dedicated specifically to creating a portfolio to submit to another higher level college.. probably called foundation course aswell.
    Anyone know of any?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

A PLC

You will have a Fetac cert at the end of the year too, so this can can work out as more than leaving cert points, if you get all distinctions, or you can apply directly to 2nd year of a degree

List of related PLC courses in dublin here.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Joolika

Great! Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

Joolika.. I did the Graphic Design course in Coláiste Íde in 2007 and I'd advise anyone to stay away from it to be honest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stool

Any particular reason you wouldn't recommend it bo?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

Sent you a PM there Stool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't understand why the OP wants to do a portfolio course specifically aimed at graphic design, seems like a waste of a year.

Surely if you are an ex fine arts student, you would already have a design portfolio. Is this not good enough to get accepted onto any art & design course.

I was always under the impression that art portfolios for uni courses are aimed more at showing your creativity and not being specific to the design area. Too early to pigeon hole yourself really before you find out what your strengths are.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

unreggd wrote: »
    A PLC

You will have a Fetac cert at the end of the year too, so this can can work out as more than leaving cert points, if you get all distinctions, or you can apply directly to 2nd year of a degree

List of related PLC courses in dublin here.

:)

Only if you do level 6. With level 5 you go into first year regardless of how many distinctions you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Seipher

it all depends on which college you actually want to attend to study graphics, i am studying visual communications and graphics in Limerick School of Art and Design but i still had to do first year and all that it entailed before getting in, they run a ranking system where 30 graphics places are available at the end of the year and basically the top 30 applicants get into it, on application most of my portfolio was based around fine art i.e painting and print but i wasn't hindered by wanting a specific disipline i had a year to try out everything and then apply for the ranking project of the course which i wanted to specialize in, hope this helps

Advertisement