Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house plant query

Options
  • 11-01-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

not sure where to post this but i have had a yukka since moved into my house 4 years ago. was my pride and joy - a nice big 'un. forgive my ignorance re. plant terminology but one part of it ( one of the 2 "branches" and half the leaves of total plant ) died. it started to hang off as if someone broke it but the plant is in a corner, i'm the only person in house and didn't touch it. on close inspection, it looks like the "branch" rotted! i didn't do anything different and wonder whether it was the extreme weather?
    it looks craps now as half of it is gone and for such a big plant the remaining leaves look a bit pityful - :(
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its probably been overwatered, they like to be fairly dry. If it has actual branches rather than tufts of leaves it could be a dracaena, they are not easy to tell apart. Is it rotted right down to the main stem? if the rot has gone into the stem you might as well throw it away and get another one. If you cut off the dead bit and the wound is clean with no brown streaks it might survive. Leave it for a bit, they sometimes throw out a new branch if they have been pruned.

Advertisement