Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much for a boiler service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Any trades man will charge up on 80/90 Euros an hour and after four years training ,years of experience he has every right to do so. As the point was made..could you change the nozzle, could you clean the plates, check the photo cell for damage. check the electrodes and filters.I have done the course for boiler maintenance out of my own pocket.maybe you should to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

pinkz wrote: »
    i was charged £60 for mine to be serviced cant remember his name but ive got his number its: 0863074734 hope this helps.

sounds very reasonable but then there is servicing and...... 'servicing' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

mukki wrote: »
    last month i was charged €95 to get the oil boiler serviced, the guy was 40mins in my garage :mad:

christ the guy is a glorified cleaner, he has to remove a few panels and scrape some soot and put the panels back on, and for doing that he gets about €2500 a week :confused:

going to do it myself from now on.

That seems quite a lot. I paid €60 for a 10 year old gas boiler, very nice guy. Also I live in central dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 happydaawg

last month i was charged €95 to get the oil boiler serviced, the guy was 40mins in my garage :mad:

christ the guy is a glorified cleaner, he has to remove a few panels and scrape some soot and put the panels back on, and for doing that he gets about €2500 a week :confused:

going to do it myself from now on.

Just got my Boiler serviced.
    The guy was here for 20mins. €90...
    The ESB send a guy who was charging €100.
    Rip off Ireland still Exists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

In fairness lads your worse for giving him that much money for scrapping soot off. They should be registered for a start, change the burner nozzle's, check the electrodes, photo electric sensor, emissions etc. Did they give you a detailed list of work done. If not ring them up. Ask them what they did do and if they haven't done any of this then on the off chance they are registered report them. That is not a service by any stretch of the imagination

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

In fairness lads your worse for giving him that much money for scrapping soot off. They should be registered for a start, change the burner nozzle's, check the electrodes, photo electric sensor, emissions etc. Did they give you a detailed list of work done. If not ring them up. Ask them what they did do and if they haven't done any of this then on the off chance they are registered report them. That is not a service by any stretch of the imagination

+1 also checking oil tank, filter and flue gas analysis. Generally I would allow 1-1 1/2 hours for a service not to mention the time to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Serviced my Sime boiler last year. All the thick asbestos type gaskets were knackered. Got a full set of new gaskets from a crowd on the Naas Rd and a nozzle for €33. Cleaned it out in 30 mins. Grand job.

The guy that used to service it for the ma is fecked. Lungs trashed from doing that work for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

DoneDL wrote: »
    +1 also checking oil tank, filter and flue gas analysis. Generally I would allow 1-1 1/2 hours for a service not to mention the time to get there.

Agreed, hr and a half at least with the paperwork anyone who can do it in 20 minutes aint doing Jack ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 OFTEC REG TECH

THE CUSTOMER SHOULD BE BUDGETING AT LEAST 100 EURO FOR THEIR SERVICE ON OIL BOILER AND ITS THER OWN FAULT IF THEY ARE EXPECTING UNREGISTERED SHAMS TO DO A PROPER JOB FOR 50 EURO
    FOR THAT AND CUSTOMER GETS NOTHING AND ALSO IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG WITH THER BOILER OIL TANK AND THEY DONT HAVE A CERTIFICATE OF COMFORMANCE THEY ARE NOT LIKELY TO PAY
    SO IS 100 TOO DEAR FOR
    YOUR OFTEC CERT
    FLUE ANALYSIS PRINTOUT
    OIL PRESSURE CHECKED
    SAFETY OF INSTALLATION CHECKED
    FILTER
    NOZZLE CLEAN

Shouting!!

• Advertisement

relax, its not a firebird nuclear reactor :p

its a red and grey box in the garage that needs the soot removed every few months, its not going to kill anyone ever

WHY DO WE BOTHER REGISTERING WITH GOVERNING BODIES WHEN PEOPLE JUST WANT THE CHEAP FIX

Being Oftec Registered doesnt mean people have to use you.

YES I KNOW THEY DONT HAVE TO USE ME BUT IN THEIR OWN INTERESTS THEY SHOULD

A 5 day course will give a FAS man the qualification you have. :rolleyes:

And please stop shouting.

YES I KNOW THEY DONT HAVE TO USE ME BUT IN THEIR OWN INTERESTS THEY SHOULD

people dont realise the dangers of using unqualified lads the regulations
    related to their insurance policies and they really dont want to know how much it costs to clear an oil spillage
    so to have all your paperwork for your oil tank and boiler i think its worth shelling out the extra few quid to have it done by a professional
    not joe the part time plumber with nothing but a scraper and brush and a new mobile number every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Just because someone is 'registered' in what ever field that may be, doesn't always necessarily mean that they will go by the book but it probably is a lesser risk to the customer than someone who is not registered.

Can anyone tell me if the list on oftec web site is up to date because some contractors listed there and advertising in the papers are not stating that they are oftec reg. which is a bit surprising.

im rgii and oftec reg
    also plumbing apprentichip in fas then dit bolton st with 17 yrs exp

yes you could do a course in fas 5 day or whatever but it would be wasted on you cause you dont have the foundation and skills behind you also the cert you would get from fas for this is not blue flame accreditation which means sorry you wouldnt be qualified
    so its not that easy

But Joe could still be a professional and fully insured to work on oil but not shell out the money to register with Oftec.

and when your boiler blows up or your tank leaks will your insurance company pay out on the strenght of joe saying he is a pro and has insurance no you wont find him
    as oftec we are signing and dating cert and so we are taking responsibility for what we are doing meaning yes we do everything by the book cause if we dont the book stops with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

We used to get a local fella up the road to service our old boiler, and I thought I was great getting it for half nothing:P:.I then decided to get a chap that was registered that installs and services boilers.Well,:o I got the third degree when he saw it, in a friendly way :(.A useless toy (words to that effect!) he said he was cause he did f..k all to it.How was I to know?.Anyway, I upgraded my central heating last year with a brand new efficient boiler and heating controls and the same chap does it for 130 quid.I even have a logbook for filling it in too:cool:.

P.S he said something about that he cant ask for the book, I have to offer it to him or something?:confused: Not sure, could be talking through my, you know what........:)

• Advertisement

yeah well if he is signing and dating certs and giving you analyser printouts you cant go wrong
    yeah and i think you mean the boiler passport for your warranty

I'm sorry ORT but your starting to sound silly now.

I have been a professional oil service engineer for over 30 yrs, (let not get onto RGII) long before Oftec came along, while i do agree that people should use Oftec registered engineers for the simple fact that it proves something, if not a lot, but i also know plenty of "compitent" engineers who would put most "Oftec Technicians" to shame, as i have said, there are no laws stopping anyone from working on oil boilers and quite a few professionals do.

You can also provide a CD11 or any document without a Oftec heading.

Incidentally!! are you new to Oftec ?? Where did you do your training ??

yeah well if he is signing and dating certs and giving you analyser printouts you cant go wrong
    yeah and i think you mean the boiler passport for your warranty

yeah he is giving me a printout, thats exactly what it is a passport.

Just a bit of trivia (and showing off;).The old boiler was giving out 200 PPM, and this one is giving out about 45 I think.

Billy i dont doubt you and i know lads that are the same who are not registered but oftec means you have got the puplic liability and also means the customer can be guaranteed that. also yeah its not the law yet but when something happens and the clients insurance company wont pay out what happens then. this isnt about registered lads against unregisterd its about the customer having piece of mind

Yeah but the thing is that,at the end of the day, its the insurance companies have the final say and if they ask was the boiler or whatever installed/serviced by an oftec person or whatever, and you don't have one, then they don't have to pay out.

i done it year a few yrs ago but had to get the new acessment for blue flame last yr
    you obviously see the state of the installs on oil around ireland 9/10 are bad something need to be done

Thats all OFTEC is, some piece of mind to those customers who dont know where to turn, it does indeed prove, some compitence, full insurance, and at least the threat ot OFTEC inspection to those who do register, so yes, OFTEC is a good thing.
    its the insurance companies have the final say and if they ask was the boiler or whatever installed/serviced by an oftec person or whatever, and you don't have one, then they don't have to pay out.

Not so, read your passport, "compitence" is still a feature there.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Yeah but the thing is that,at the end of the day, its the insurance companies have the final say and if they ask was the boiler or whatever installed/serviced by an oftec person or whatever, and you don't have one, then they don't have to pay out.

well thats whats happening jimmy i know a house in kells where an oil tank leakes nearly full volume tyhe cleanup cost was 265 thousand euro and alot of trouble goin on cause could be further damage to wells in other properties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I service my own. And have done for years now. Every 4 years I get it serviced by RGI to check parts wear in the combustion side of the boiler.

Gas boilers are so simple in their workings. And if a part is worn or broken it is not fixed, its replaced.
    The points layed out for service include silly things that anyone can check. Like checking where the flu is located and the like. I think they are written down to make the job look a little more complicated than it is.

But on the other hand. Getting any service man to call out to your home will cost the same money.
    RGI will carry substantially more qualifications and responsibility than a window cleaner and will more than likely be able to diagnose a plumbing or electrical problem that could be effecting your heating.
    Plus . In the unlikely event of a fire or C02 problem, your home insurance will want recent details.

So in that respect I would recommend getting RGI to clean your boiler. Its the one system in your home that needs to be reliable and safe.

Advertisement