Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much for a boiler service

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 OFTEC REG TECH

the oftec courses themselves dont really teach you much that you dont know but they go through the regulations which are changing and every boiler you go to now is unsafe by ther standards and the paperwork is just to cover ourselve too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Thats all OFTEC is, some piece of mind to those customers who dont know where to turn, it does indeed prove, some compitence, full insurance, and at least the threat ot OFTEC inspection to those who do register, so yes, OFTEC is a good thing.

Not so, read your passport, "compitence" is still a feature there.

well maybe that is so, but I am sure you know the insurance co. they will say and do anything to avoid paying out if at all possible.Doing it right will give them less ammunition to fire at you..................possibly;)

rgii will also do a let by test and soundness test at meter flue analyse and rate your appliance at min if done right cannot be done in ten twenty mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I service my own. And have done for years now. Every 4 years I get it serviced by RGI to check parts wear in the combustion side of the boiler.

Gas boilers are so simple in their workings. And if a part is worn or broken it is not fixed, its replaced.
    The points layed out for service include silly things that anyone can check. Like checking where the flu is located and the like. I think they are written down to make the job look a little more complicated than it is.

But on the other hand. Getting any service man to call out to your home will cost the same money.
    RGI will carry substantially more qualifications and responsibility than a window cleaner and will more than likely be able to diagnose a plumbing or electrical problem that could be effecting your heating.
    Plus . In the unlikely event of a fire or C02 problem, your home insurance will want recent details.

So in that respect I would recommend getting RGI to clean your boiler. Its the one system in your home that needs to be reliable and safe.

A real RGI will spot something you would never see, and i think you would do better to keep your eyes out for faults that cause a CO problem rather that a CO2. ;)

rgii will also do a let by test and soundness test at meter flue analyse and rate your appliance at min if done right cannot be done in ten twenty mins

RGI is law, Oftec ain't :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

A real RGI will spot something you would never see, and i think you would do better to keep your eyes out for faults that cause a CO problem rather that a CO2. ;)

I guess we both make mistakes when typing ;)

the oftec courses themselves dont really teach you much that you dont know but they go through the regulations which are changing and every boiler you go to now is unsafe by ther standards and the paperwork is just to cover ourselve too

As a registered Oftec "Technician" i must admit i only registered to cover my arse. :D

I have my OFTEC accreditations, got them from Worcester Bosch, in fairness I shouldn't have them because I'm a cack oil man:cool:, OFTEC and RGII have fallen short of having a system that allows only competent engineers who can work safely but a least they have insurance to cover any bo bo's

i know but it will be by 2013 all insurance coming on board like rgii

gary71 wrote: »
    I have my OFTEC accreditations, got them from Worcester Bosch, in fairness I shouldn't have them because I'm a cack oil man:cool:, OFTEC and RGII have fallen short of having a system that allows only competent engineers who can work safely but a least they have insurance to cover any bo bo's

I just knew you couldnt resist :D

• Advertisement

same here billy i dont like paying registration when the law is no enforcing it on everyone

OFTEC and RGII have fallen short of having a system that allows only competent engineers who can work safely but a least they have insurance to cover any bo bo's

Inspection would put some substance to these labels, but from my own experiances of these i'm sure they fall way short of what these inspections are there to prove. :(

rgii i going backwards anyway sierra 9 minute services and they are getting away with it because they subbing from bg and ther are supposed to be analysing and testing cleaning in 9 mins
    i wonder if rgi sending out inspectors to sierra and checking ther certs if they are even giving the customers any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭sausagehead

My oil boiler has'nt been serviced for over 11 or 12 years and it seems to work fine, efficient and all the rest but i do smell oil sometimes ..no biggy!
    A service up in the north, where i live costs about £40. a flyer came in the door the other day £35 and thats from a proper service engineer!
    might give him a ring if i can find that flyer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

With all the corruption that has gone on in this country during the Haughey era and then during the 'celtic tiger' .... example: Priory Hall Apartments in Dublin etc

Now while in the mudder of all recessions......How in god's name is the ordinary joe soap, some of us who are very vulnerable i.e. getting on in yrs..... expected to trust anyone at all or even someone that produces a cert or chit of some sort that may not be worth the paper it's written on.

Yes there are many good honest committed workers out there, but sadly as we have seen from the top down, the order of the day in this country is to cover your back and avoid at all costs of taking responsibility for anything you do while making as much money as you can.

The overall result of this is that society and community suffer as a whole
    to the detriment of everyone but 'some' can't see that.

rant over:

Is the oftec list of registered contractors in Ireland kept up to date??

If a RGI gas engineer identified a hazard while walking past a house and he happened to ring a RGI inspector for advise about his concerns on the best way to make safe that situation, the instructions from them would be to keep on walking or there would be problems between that RGI gas engineer and the inspectors, dramatic but the truth and the reason I detest RGII gas safety pretenders.

danjo-xx wrote: »

Now while in the mudder of all recessions......How in god's name is the ordinary joe soap, some of us who are very vulnerable i.e. getting on in yrs..... expected to trust anyone at all or even someone that produces a cert or chit of some sort that may not be worth the paper it's written on.

I can't possibly respond in case I have a rant overload:eek:

gary71 wrote: »
    I can't possibly respond in case I have a rant overload:eek:

Go on Gary, its the weekend, load of time. ;)

Save my bloody voice :D

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Is the oftec list of registered contractors in Ireland kept up to date??

As i know of persons who refused to reregister last month and this month seem to be gone, i would imagine there is a person in charge of that.

no service 11/12 tears efficiency ok and all that and only smell of oil ah sure its ok the save the 35 pound for a few pints LOL

• Advertisement

Go on Gary, its the weekend, load of time. ;)

Save my bloody voice :D

Right then:)

With RGII I wonder what is their biggest crime:confused:

Knowingly allowing untrained inexperienced unskilled "gas engineers" to enter the gas industry unchecked, then not monitoring these "gas engineers" properly with the idea of removing any who just shouldn't be working in the industry.

Running a set of gas regulations that are unclear and unhelpful in assisting gas engineers to work in a safe and consistent manor.

Their readiness to turn a blind eye to their own regs when it would be troublesome or political to get involved.

Their impudence in introducing any new safe and sensible gas working practices or updating the existing regs.

Anybody employing a gas engineer in this country cannot know if they are getting a competent tradesman or a 18 day wonder who has no business in this industry, I feel now there are more bad engineers than when I first started working here 8 years ago.

For crying out loud, before renewing a waterlogged gas line this week JohnnieK had to explain why you can't pressure test it with mains water and they argued with him:confused:

Just a couple of weeks ago on a freebie briefing I listened in on a “fellow rgi” questioning how unfair the system was and why the inspector would want him to check a gas rate to a boiler when chummy is adamant “I have no intension of ever touching a gas boiler and wouldn’t know what to do with one” :eek:

It was amazing how he thought that was an ok argument :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

rgii i going backwards anyway sierra 9 minute services and they are getting away with it because they subbing from bg and ther are supposed to be analysing and testing cleaning in 9 mins
    i wonder if rgi sending out inspectors to sierra and checking ther certs if they are even giving the customers any

9 minutes? You wouldn't last a day with Bord Gais / Sierra.

Not joking or messing, full service on a gas boiler in D15 total time spent 6 Minutes!

I can't figure it out, how can any RGI issue a cert for a service like that?

Appears there are there some very silly RGI members who forget exactly who takes it in the neck if they miss a fault in an appliance, Bord Gais have very strict standards if we believe the Gas Safety (G1) and I.S. 813 2002.

OFTEC don't appear to be offering anything to Irish members, they are asking us to take full responsibility for every appliance serviced, the real sticky one I see is how do we pass any existing oil tank that's not bunded?

The consumer deserves value for money not a piece of paper that transfers liability from the previous service engineer to the the present one.

Maybe I'm a bit slower than others but I can't do a full sevice on an oil boiler in less than an hour especially a boiler I haven't serviced before or one that has been left for years between services.

Time for the consumer to wake up, no one who takes any pride in their work or checks all the items that should be checked can do it in 6, 9, or even 20 minutes.

The old story, you get what you pay for.

Advertisement