Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Preservation / Teaching in Ireland

• 11-01-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi All,

I'd like to get some feedback and different opinions from people with regards the teaching of Irish (and other languages) to my children.

I was born in Ireland to English parents that moved back to England when I was quite young. I moved back to Ireland in adulthood and have always considered myself as having a dual nationality. I got married here and have a young, pre-school family. Language and languages are very important to us as a family and we've been thinking about what we will do when our children enter the school system here.

I speak Spanish and my wife speaks German. Currently, I speak only Spanish to my children and my wife speaks English. In the future, we would like to teach them German as well, which is obviously something she will take the lead in. We're somewhat undecided, however, on the subject of them learning Irish.

Firstly, I would like to point out that I'm very sympathetic to the position that the Irish language is in. I know full well that, were I to have been brought up as an Irish speaker, I would feel very strongly about keeping the language going and promoting its use. However, my first and primary concern is the education of my children to their best advantage, and I can't help but feel that other languages will be more useful to them than Irish. After all, it may be that they choose to live in a different part of the world in the future, and other languages like Spanish, German or French will be of far more use to them internationally. Even if they were to decide to stay, it seems to me that you can do perfectly well in Ireland without Irish. I've been back for many years now and have never felt hindered by not having Irish.

I've come across many different and contradictory opinions from other parents I've spoken to. I've spoke to Irish people who are quite forthright in saying (almost proudly) "I'd never bother to learn Irish - it's a dead language" and I've spoken to African immigrants who very enthusiastically enroll their children in Irish classes, pointing out that it's one of the countries official languages.

I know it's a contentious issue, but I would certainly appreciate hearing different opinions on this, as it's something we will have to make decisions on reasonably soon.

Thanks in advance,

GoingBk2School

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is a decision for you to make.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Irish language and run a conversational group locally. I think that preservation of the language, and state support is important - others might disagree.

Do whatever you feel is right. Outside of Ireland, Irish won't have much use. Inside of Ireland, it's currently not widespread in society. But there is a new generation of children who will be a part of the revival of the language, and there is a concrete 20 year plan to revive and revamp the Irish language curriculum, and make it more relevant in all areas across Ireland. Your children could be a part of the language revival movement. Or, they mightn't like the language at all. Who knows.

Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

If your children are young enough they can take in any amount of languages (well, not really any, but you know what I mean). I would say have them learn Irish. If they grow up in Ireland they will soak in Irish heritage, and having the language, even if they then live abroad, will be part of that cultural heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Well if your kids grow-up and decide to stay in Ireland, Irish would be beneficial to them apparently
    Read this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055793378

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GoingBk2School

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Well if your kids grow-up and decide to stay in Ireland, Irish would be beneficial to them apparently
    Read this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055793378

I had actually read that article ... I'm not very convinced by it though. I would have thought it would apply to multilingual children generally.

Interesting thoughts though, and I appreciate the responses. One thing I had been thinking since I posted was that one reason for my reluctance was probably that I wouldn't be able to help them at all, as I don't have any Irish. Therefore, if ever I did enroll them in Irish classes, I should probably set a good example and set out to learn Irish with them!

Any further thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, particularly from anyone in a similar position to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

To be honest, most Irish parents don't have very good Irish either and aren't often able to help - so I wouldn't let that limit you. If you enlisted in a local conversational group, it would certainly help you.

But don't feel burdened too much to learn it - although, I do think it's very good of you to take it on board to help your children. If you do plan to learn it, make sure to have fun!

• Advertisement
Advertisement