Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Star - A Review

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Available from : The Merchant of Magic

Price : £29.99

Effect:
    the performer shows 2 spectators a series of photos which he explains are of passengers on a very famous ocean liner ( Titanic). As they look at the pictures they divine a "hunch" or feeling that the person either survived or was killed on the Titanic. At the end there remain 3 piles of cards, it appears that the spectators have spookily managed to correctly assertain if the people in the photos survived or perished.

Review :

Well this popped through the door today and i got a chance to have a look.
    1) yes it is a variant of ootw.
    2) the photos are top quality.
    It comes with a (at times vague) booklet, which however explains 2 ways to preform white star and a further way of doing a similar living / dead trick with playing cards.

to be honest I dont like the 3 piles left at the end , it somehow doesnt sit right with me, I feel that 2 piles are the "correct" number of piles to be left with. I have Paul Curry's original and also read an impromptu version of this which to be honest i kind of prefer. The photos play big , and give the whole thing a very "other Worldly" feel to proceedings and would definitely be a big hit. it also gets this effect out of the realm of "card trick" , which is a pigeon hole i personally hate.I feel that some spectators when faced with a pack of bikes instantly turn the heat up to 11 whereas when they see photos or the like they seem to be more relaxed.It reminds me a lot of a similar effect "from hell" however i dont know the method to that so i cant compare ,but i would imagine they are similar.

Would I use it in the real world ? Certainly , especially given where i live ( cork) and the closeness of cobh - one of the last stops of the titanic.It would play very well indeed in such a place. Even that aside it makes for a nice break from the paste boards. however , i will try the other methods of ootw with this packet of photos and i'll update this review with how usable they are.
    At the moment though this gets a solid 8/10. Its not going to make you famous , but its a very nice way to present an established effect.

Advertisement