Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic/Blood clot problem - Travel to Australia

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am trying to organise a trip for my parents to Australia but my Dad is diabetic and also suffers from clots. He is unable to travel for more than 3 hours (max) on a plane. I was wondering if you know of anyone in a similar position and what options they used to get to Australia. I understand it will take a number of days/weeks to get to Australia but would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Polo mint wrote: »
    I am trying to organise a trip for my parents to Australia but my Dad is diabetic and also suffers from clots. He is unable to travel for more than 3 hours (max) on a plane. I was wondering if you know of anyone in a similar position and what options they used to get to Australia. I understand it will take a number of days/weeks to get to Australia but would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks

fly to cologne, train to moscow 2 days, train to beijing 7 days, train to vietnam border 3 days, train to saigon 2days, bus to siem reap 1 day, taxi to thai border at aranya prathet 1 day, train to bangkok 1 day, train to kuala lumpur 1 day, train to singapore 1 day, fly to darwin (this is 4 hours, but you could fly to bali then on to darwin)

realistically you could do the whole lot in one month but it does cost a fortune. plus you have to repeat the process to get home.

it can be done (i did it in 9 month cork to melbourne with no planes at all, i sailed the final section) but it is tough going in parts, how badly does you dad want to see australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Talk to whatever doctor treats your dad. There may or may not be medications your dad could have to help reduce the risk of forming a clot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

How is a train better than a plane for this situation? excepting situations of high turbulence, can he not get up and walk around on a plane as easily as a train? Or is there an altitude thing relating to clots that I'm unaware of?

Anyway OP, the first reply here would seem to indicate that it's far too difficult to organise, and unless he's moving here permanently it might not be worth the trouble.

(Although surely it could be done in a matter of days by just taking short flights along the way, instead of the several day trains?)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

fly to cologne, train to moscow 2 days, train to beijing 7 days, train to vietnam border 3 days, train to saigon 2days, bus to siem reap 1 day, taxi to thai border at aranya prathet 1 day, train to bangkok 1 day, train to kuala lumpur 1 day, train to singapore 1 day, fly to darwin (this is 4 hours, but you could fly to bali then on to darwin)

realistically you could do the whole lot in one month but it does cost a fortune. plus you have to repeat the process to get home.

it can be done (i did it in 9 month cork to melbourne with no planes at all, i sailed the final section) but it is tough going in parts, how badly does you dad want to see australia?

That is interesting, my parents hate flying, so no visits to me when I get back to Oz.
    How did you do the whole journey from Cork to Melbs without a plane?
    How economical was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Find out if the risk to your father on long plane journeys is from cramped conditions, or flying at altitude. If it's just cramped conditions, shelling out for a first class seat on an airline where he is guaranteed a reclining bed and considerable legroom may help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

OP, unfortunately Boards is not able to be a hosting ground for medical advice.

Like has been suggest, seek professional advice from a doctor.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement