Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do You Need To Know About Each Poem?(HL)

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

If you are summarising poems into bullet points, what details would you need to know about each in order to write an A-grade essay?

Language, Themes, What Else am I Missing?:confused:

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Style of writing I think, aspects of the writing.
    I think, I'm not too sure though.

Edit: Wait, isn't that in Language, I'll check my notes to see if we have anything about it.

Edit: I just checked my this is poetry book, and you need a conclusion, giving reasons for why you liked the poetry, favorite poem and just a general sum up of the poetry.

While you need to know the poems, you'll never really just talk about each poem in succession. Make sure you're using the poems to back up the point you're making about the author's style/work/technique or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

When you're doing a Personal Response essay, you need to say what the poem says to you -is there a message/moral/lesson in the poem that matters to you in your life? Develop the point and support with a quote.

It will make your answer less ordinary-the examiner wants to read something with a bit of thought and originality and they want to reward you for displaying that thought and originality.

Not many students have the cojones to do this, by the way. They feel it is safer to parrot off what the revision book tells them to say.

Advertisement