Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't like my course......

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi I am currently attending NUIM on a B.mus degree. I thought I would like it as music is my life, but it just isn't what I expected... I'm afraid to tell my parents because they sacrificed so much for me. I have the grant but if I drop out can I apply to a course in September and still get the grant or since I would be dropping out would I become illegible for the grant? I don't mind completing the year as I am not failing in any way, I just don't like the course.
    Tagged:

Comments

Yes, unfortunately if you repeat a year you don't get the grant for that year (unless you repeat for medical or other extenuating circumstances) and would have to pay full fees for repeating the year. You would get the grant from second year onwards though. Have you considered transferring course? Some colleges allow late transfers in the middle of first year up to the first or second week or term. I know, I did it! Go see/ring your tutor and/or Students' Union tomorrow to see if this is an option for you.

Other thing to do tomorrow is perhaps ask someone in the Music department what the latter years of Music is like? I know I didn't really enjoy first and second year of my course but after that it got a good bit better.

Anyways, best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

Just if you do decide to stay from my own experience i hated 1st year and 2nd year was a whole lot more interesting and 3rd year is the best of all. Have a look at the modules you will be taking in the future and see if they interest you

Advertisement