Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianising O'Connell Street

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I love Limerick city, I've always thought that pedestrianising O'Connell Street would improve the citys main street greatly. The street is just wide enough to make it work, and it would make the city centre a great place to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

Plans for that are in the works, I think you can find info on the city council website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I really hope thats true, it will make it a fantastic city to walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

It is true, the plans have been around for a few years, they are waiting for the orbital route and tunnel to be completed before they can start on it, otherwise the traffic will have no place to go.

The plan is to pedestrianise from William street to Roches street, forming a pedestrianised cross with Thomas Street and Bedford Row, as far as i know it's the last part of the upgrades being made in the city, meaning William and Patrick streets are due for upgrade before it will begin.

I'm not sure if it really will make it all that better to walk around, it will be fantastic if they can get the right kind of businesses (restaurants, cafes, etc) into this area, and set up kiosks in the centre for other eateries or smaller cafe's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hopefully the money allocated for these projects is still safe. It would be great to see the pedestrianisation of o'connell st. and william st. go ahead during these bad times.

Even when completed, hopefully the economy will be recovering at that time and there will be a new influx of cafe's and shops.

The infrastructure needs to be put in place to bring in business and hopefully once these projects are completed, the city centre will have some new life, regardless of the opera centre going ahead or not.

Advertisement