Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYI - Road conditions tonight.

Options
  • 11-01-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm stating the bleeding obvious :rolleyes:

Just driven from Farran area to Kinsale in a Jeep 4x4 and apart from the N25 I'd say most roads are hazardous. Compacted snow and slush is/has frozen due to the windchill. On the 'B' roads I had to use low ratio and even then didn't go beyond 30kph. Hills and gradients with frozen compacted snow I'd be especially wary of and even in low ratio I used extreme caution. I'm an advanced driver so these conditions don't faze me, but it'd be another matter without 4x4. God alone knows what
    the roads'll be like in the morning.

'Lets be careful out there' ........

.......... and if you recognise
    that phrase, you're an old fart too :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

the Third Watch phrase was 'eyes and ears people'

point well taken re the roads though, the media coverage of the thaw forgets to clarify that it's only Dublin, etc that's thawing, I won't be venturing out till Wednesday at the earliest...........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its fairly windy here already in Bandon and you can see some of the snow thawing out, its the snow falling from the roofs which is dangerous and noisy.
    I'd say tomorrow evening or Wed and all will be back to normal hopefully.
    Thanks for the update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

supposed to rain mad tomorrow so that wil be the end of the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

Thanks for the update. I hope it does rain, I hate this ice.

Max001 wrote: »
    On the 'B' roads I had to use low ratio and even then didn't go beyond 30kph. Hills and gradients with frozen compacted snow I'd be especially wary of and even in low ratio I used extreme caution. I'm an advanced driver so these conditions don't faze me, but it'd be another matter without 4x4.

Wouldn't you be of the opinion that one shouldn't use low ratio in ice and snow at nearly 20mph as the increased torque increases the risk of losing control. Fair enough for taking off but anything beyond that seems quite a bit dangerous. Wouldn't the braking be applied equally to both the front and rear axles in LR too ? And also the turning circle will increase. Doesn't seem the way to go really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

RoverJames wrote: »
    Wouldn't you be of the opinion that one shouldn't use low ratio in ice and snow at nearly 20mph as the increased torque increases the risk of losing control. Fair enough for taking off but anything beyond that seems quite a bit dangerous. Wouldn't the braking be applied equally to both the front and rear axles in LR too ? And also the turning circle will increase. Doesn't seem the way to go really.

LR is recommended for loose gradients which is what I encountered today (both ascending & descending) and provides greater traction at lower speeds. The Jeep G/Cherokee is rated up to 40kph in LR.

Advertisement