Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

• 11-01-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

So, now that we have the forum, let's get some pokémon discussion going :D

We've all been faced with this choice: Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle. Who did you pick and why? I used to always pick Squirtle because I could beat Brock easily with him.

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? 82 votes

Bulbasaur
    0% 0 votes
    Charmander
    28% 23 votes
    Squirtle
    71% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Always bulbasaur!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Hehe, yeah. I have several gameboys and all pokemon versions so I did it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Charmander all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I said charmander, but I think my real pokemon preference is obvious! :)

• Advertisement

But you can't pick Pikachu at the start :P Unless you have the yellow version, but that's different :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Charmander evolved to get Seismic toss.

/thread.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I always pick a water type on my first playthrough. Chose Squirtle just to match my version and ended up with a blue GBC as well.

Brother chose Charmander, it was great. I always picked Charmander when I felt like starting again with a bit of a challenge at the start.

Picking Bulbasaur never felt right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bradles!

Squirtle all the way for me. Just because Squirtle is my favourite Pokemon. Rarely choose a water type in any of the later versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Bulbasaur 4 life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Squirtle, he was the cutest plus I had Blue so I wanted to pick the one that would evolve into Blastoise. I used to store the starters in Pokémon Stadium and restart to fill up the Pokédex.

But you can't pick Pikachu at the start :P Unless you have the yellow version, but that's different :D

Ash got to have Pikachu at the start!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I picked bulba because he was good enough to be in your final six pokemon...the rest weren't!

I picked bulba because he was good enough to be in your final six pokemon...the rest weren't!

What other ones were in it?

Snorlax, I'll bet! :P

Generally pyschic ones and ones that could put you to sleep. Didn't chancy have some really good thing..think I had her

Didn't chancy have some really good thing..think I had her

Softboiled? A rare healing move at the time.

I think Charizard would also have been a pretty good final team member

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I always chose bulbasaur, i loved the way he defended everyone in the series. he was so cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Had the Yellow so got all 3 :pac:

It would go Charmander,Squirtle then Bulbasaur for me though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Me too, Bulbasaur everytime for the first play through, because he looks had as nails and when he learned vinewhip he was strong! :D

Always had him in my Final 6, but then, I could never let go fo my first no matter how many times I played through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Some strange posts in this thread... Thinking about the ease of a playthrough, tactics and the like...

I was like 9. I picked Charmander because he could shoot fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

squirtle, largely because i just loved all the water ones.

except magicarp. man, he was annoying.

Magikarp was deadly. Lure your foes into a false sense of security with a million splash attacks until you run out of PP. Then you can flail them to death. :pac:

That or you could leave him at the daycare until he learns tackle or gets to level 19. But that's almost as bad as using a gameshark, training a Magikarp all the way to 20 is a badge of honour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Went with Bulbasaur meself, loved the little fella. Razor Leaf was vicious with its high crit chance (or was that implemented by then??)

And imagine facing a lvl 100 Magikarp...you would be "OMG what do I do, what moves could he have??"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Charizard was fire and flying type, the others were only one type weren't they? Charmander FTW though even if I am wrong!:P

jd007 wrote: »
    Charizard was fire and flying type, the others were only one type weren't they? Charmander FTW though even if I am wrong!:P
    I think the Bulbasaur family is Grass/Poison.

Blastoise has more going for him in my opinion. He has cannons for shoulders, you can't really compete with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

jd007 wrote: »
    Nope, Venusaur (and Ivysaur and Bulbasaur) are grass/poison. Which is why he's great, sleep powder is a poison move.

Edit: damn, too slow
    Also leech seed as well as sleep powder and poisonpowder are why bulbasaur was my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Went with Bulbasaur meself, loved the little fella. Razor Leaf was vicious with its high crit chance (or was that implemented by then??)

And imagine facing a lvl 100 Magikarp...you would be "OMG what do I do, what moves could he have??"
    I'm sure theres a place where ya can catch level 35 magikarps, train em up one and the bring on the Gyarados!!!!!

ALways Squirtle for me, cuz he's a turtle, Like Michalangelo, Raphael, Donatello and Leonardo

I feel really intimidated by the amount you all know about Pokemon!
    I'm such a phoney!
    :(:pac:

Davidius wrote: »
    I think the Bulbasaur family is Grass/Poison.

Blastoise has more going for him in my opinion. He has canons for shoulders, you can't really compete with that.
    Nope, Venusaur (and Ivysaur and Bulbasaur) are grass/poison. Which is why he's great, sleep powder is a poison move.

Edit: damn, too slow
    Also leech seed as well as sleep powder and poisonpowder are why bulbasaur was my choice.

I stand corrected:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Some strange posts in this thread... Thinking about the ease of a playthrough, tactics and the like...

I was like 9. I picked Charmander because he could shoot fire.

Shnap.

Shameful question really (and I could google it but meh) but having a bit of a blank.... charmander....something...charizard.
    WTH was the name of the intermediate evolution??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Charmeleon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

Charmander, never knew why:p

just interested, what age are most of the ppl on this thread??
    i'm 17, but i would still play it if i could:o:)

I feel really intimidated by the amount you all know about Pokemon!
    I'm such a phoney!
    :(:pac:
    Us cool kids were honing our mad Pokémon skillz and writing endless online strategy guides about squads and EV training while the rest of you losers were out there having lives. :pac:

On the topic of Charmander->Charmeleon, does anybody know any reason as to why Charmeleon was a bit of an arsehole? Did he just evolve into that or did Charmander always secretly harbor dickish tendencies? Was the badge-obedience connection ever mentioned in the anime? Let's have a flame war about this!

(On topic of ages, I'm 18.)

Us cool kids were honing our mad Pokémon skillz and writing endless online strategy guides about squads and EV training while the rest of you losers were out there having lives. :pac:

On the topic of Charmander->Charmeleon, does anybody know any reason as to why Charmeleon was a bit of an arsehole? Did he just evolve into that or did Charmander always secretly harbor dickish tendencies? Was the badge-obedience connection ever mentioned in the anime? Let's have a flame war about this!

I laughed way too much at this ;).

Such an urge coming on now to root out the aul pokemon blue.
    Remember when there were only 150 (151/152) pokemon? I could rant of every name and stat at the click of a finger.

(I'm just gone 20)

I'm 21. Even when I'm 40, I'll still be a Pika-phile :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Charmander all the way :) then to charmeleon and then to charizard :) what games they were :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Squirtle. Choosing a water type usually made the start of the game easier. The first two gyms were much easier to get past.

kennethk wrote: »

17 too, and I have played the games recently!:o:p

kennethk wrote: »

I'm 17 too but still obsessed with pokémon! Why feel you have to stop playing now ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

I always pick a water type on my first playthrough. Chose Squirtle just to match my version and ended up with a blue GBC as well.

Brother chose Charmander, it was great. I always picked Charmander when I felt like starting again with a bit of a challenge at the start.

Picking Bulbasaur never felt right.

Ah yes, your blue version and blue GBC, and me with my red version and red GBC... Good Chrsitmas that one :pac:

Besides, while Charmander suffered a bit early on in the game, he truly began to PWN later on, particularily at the 4th gym :D (If my memory serves me correctly)

Oh and Charzard > all

• Advertisement

26 (Don't tell me I'm the oldest!)

I played Platinum recently and loved it, dunno if I'll ever grow out of it :)

elekid wrote: »
    I played Platinum recently and loved it, dunno if I'll ever grow out of it :)

Pokémon is not just for Christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Charmander had it all. A personality, temper and a nice tail too

Charmander had it all. A personality, temper and a nice tail too

And great skin. So smooth.

Squirtle for me.
    He owns Brock,Blaine,Misty and lets not forget the absence of cool water types in Generation 1. Apart from Dewgong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I actually found my copy of Pokemon Red while cleaning, complete with 140 hours of play and plenty of L100 pokemon...10 years ago...wow.

For me, it was Bulbasaur, which meant my brother regularly hammered me with his Charizard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I chose Bulbasaur because Grass was super effective against Rock (For the 1st Gym badge) and Water (for the 2nd Gym badge).

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I chose Bulbasaur because Grass was super effective against Rock (For the 1st Gym badge) and Water (for the 2nd Gym badge).

Bulbasaur is the smart choice, but overlooked for some reason. Possibly because he lacks the cool factor.

How does Bulbasaur lack the cool factor?
    He has retractable vines? Hello guys. Charmander is my last choice tbh.

I don't think he does, but lots of my friends did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement