Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Charmeleon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

Charmander, never knew why:p

just interested, what age are most of the ppl on this thread??
    i'm 17, but i would still play it if i could:o:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I feel really intimidated by the amount you all know about Pokemon!
    I'm such a phoney!
    :(:pac:
    Us cool kids were honing our mad Pokémon skillz and writing endless online strategy guides about squads and EV training while the rest of you losers were out there having lives. :pac:

On the topic of Charmander->Charmeleon, does anybody know any reason as to why Charmeleon was a bit of an arsehole? Did he just evolve into that or did Charmander always secretly harbor dickish tendencies? Was the badge-obedience connection ever mentioned in the anime? Let's have a flame war about this!

(On topic of ages, I'm 18.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Davidius wrote: »
    Us cool kids were honing our mad Pokémon skillz and writing endless online strategy guides about squads and EV training while the rest of you losers were out there having lives. :pac:

On the topic of Charmander->Charmeleon, does anybody know any reason as to why Charmeleon was a bit of an arsehole? Did he just evolve into that or did Charmander always secretly harbor dickish tendencies? Was the badge-obedience connection ever mentioned in the anime? Let's have a flame war about this!

I laughed way too much at this ;).

Such an urge coming on now to root out the aul pokemon blue.
    Remember when there were only 150 (151/152) pokemon? I could rant of every name and stat at the click of a finger.

(I'm just gone 20)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I'm 21. Even when I'm 40, I'll still be a Pika-phile :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Charmander all the way :) then to charmeleon and then to charizard :) what games they were :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Squirtle. Choosing a water type usually made the start of the game easier. The first two gyms were much easier to get past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

kennethk wrote: »

17 too, and I have played the games recently!:o:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

kennethk wrote: »

I'm 17 too but still obsessed with pokémon! Why feel you have to stop playing now ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

I always pick a water type on my first playthrough. Chose Squirtle just to match my version and ended up with a blue GBC as well.

Brother chose Charmander, it was great. I always picked Charmander when I felt like starting again with a bit of a challenge at the start.

Picking Bulbasaur never felt right.

Ah yes, your blue version and blue GBC, and me with my red version and red GBC... Good Chrsitmas that one :pac:

Besides, while Charmander suffered a bit early on in the game, he truly began to PWN later on, particularily at the 4th gym :D (If my memory serves me correctly)

Oh and Charzard > all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

26 (Don't tell me I'm the oldest!)

I played Platinum recently and loved it, dunno if I'll ever grow out of it :)

elekid wrote: »
    I played Platinum recently and loved it, dunno if I'll ever grow out of it :)

Pokémon is not just for Christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Charmander had it all. A personality, temper and a nice tail too

Charmander had it all. A personality, temper and a nice tail too

And great skin. So smooth.

Squirtle for me.
    He owns Brock,Blaine,Misty and lets not forget the absence of cool water types in Generation 1. Apart from Dewgong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I actually found my copy of Pokemon Red while cleaning, complete with 140 hours of play and plenty of L100 pokemon...10 years ago...wow.

For me, it was Bulbasaur, which meant my brother regularly hammered me with his Charizard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I chose Bulbasaur because Grass was super effective against Rock (For the 1st Gym badge) and Water (for the 2nd Gym badge).

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I chose Bulbasaur because Grass was super effective against Rock (For the 1st Gym badge) and Water (for the 2nd Gym badge).

Bulbasaur is the smart choice, but overlooked for some reason. Possibly because he lacks the cool factor.

How does Bulbasaur lack the cool factor?
    He has retractable vines? Hello guys. Charmander is my last choice tbh.

I don't think he does, but lots of my friends did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

plus, bulbasaur had leech seed. charmander was always my last choice too.

man, i wish i'd a gameboy. i never actually ever owned my own, though every now and then would manage to borrow a mate's for a few weeks. im actually really tempted to go out and buy my own now just so i can play pokemon.

plus, bulbasaur had leech seed. charmander was always my last choice too.

man, i wish i'd a gameboy. i never actually ever owned my own, though every now and then would manage to borrow a mate's for a few weeks. im actually really tempted to go out and buy my own now just so i can play pokemon.
    Just get the aul GBC. Nice and reliable and they're retro now so they're cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

I just looked to the fully evolved forms and the decision was obvious.

blastoise.gif

is clearly cooler than

charizard.png

and

venosaur.gif

In summary, he could blast my toise.

im actually really tempted to go out and buy my own now just so i can play pokemon.

Get yourself a backlit GBA SP.

nintendovan%20024.jpg

(The one on the right) That way you're covered up until the 3rd gen of games and on a gorgeous screen too, unlike the Color which isn't great at all.

Venusaur was one damn ugly pokemon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Venusaur was one damn ugly pokemon...

The only downside of picking Bulbasaur.
    Solarbeam was pretty great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Yeah Charmander is kind of useless once you catch a Growlithe tbh. Charizard is just a fire type who in their right mind would teach it fly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

bulbsaur was who i chose originally, and then got me a charmander in a trade. never bothered with squirtle, really don't like him or his evolved forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm fairly sure I remember it coming up. Charmander was always just a bit of an asshole though, you can see that evil glint in his eyes. I still always chose him, I've never played a game through picking anything other than a fire type at the beginning.

And for the record, I'm 18 and currently playing Sapphire. There's no need to stop playing just cause you're meant to be an adult!

Advertisement