Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed provider but still being charged three years on

• 11-01-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

I'm sure this has been brought up before... how do you force eircom to stop charging you after you have moved to another provider. My mam told me that after three years eircom are still charging her 10 pounds a month. When she phones Perlico they tell her it's Eircoms problem, when she phones eircom they tell her she can get the money refunded by emailing them. She emails them and doesn't hear anything, the charging continues unabated. She has repeated this process a few times now. Has anyone successfully got there money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

hatful wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been brought up before... how do you force eircom to stop charging you after you have moved to another provider. My mam told me that after three years eircom are still charging her 10 pounds a month. When she phones Perlico they tell her it's Eircoms problem, when she phones eircom they tell her she can get the money refunded by emailing them. She emails them and doesn't hear anything, the charging continues unabated. She has repeated this process a few times now. Has anyone successfully got there money back?

Simple cancel the direct debit on Eircom and contact Comreg or just contact Comreg and explain. They will get this issue sorted for you asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Write to your bank ... Tell them that you advised Eircom in writing on several occassions that the service was tone stopped, and none of the charges since dd/mm/yyyy are authorised.

They are in breach of the direct debit scheme. Your bank should refund you and reclaim funds from Eircom.

Of course I am assuming you did write to Eircom to cancel service, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

is this for "equipment rental" or for any extra services like family mailboxes or call forwarding? they should all have been transferred to your new provider. can you get a look at your mother's bill and see what exactly the charges of 10 EURO are for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

foggy_lad wrote: »
    is this for "equipment rental" or for any extra services like family mailboxes or call forwarding? they should all have been transferred to your new provider. can you get a look at your mother's bill and see what exactly the charges of 10 EURO are for?

Good suggestion - you should review the last bill. If you are being overcharged, contact Eircom - I would suggest by phone and follow up with email. In the email advise that this has being ongoing for 3 years and that you want the monies refunded. If you don't get a response with 5 days resent the email and advise that Comreg will be contacted. If at that stage you don't get a response, contact Comreg with copies of the emails you sent.

Something similar happened to me last year - it was BT who were overcharging - and I got the funds back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did you have another line somewhere that you forwarded in the exchange , say a business line ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

The first thing you should do is review one of your mothers phone bills,
    It should be clearly marked what eircom are charging her for, if the service/equipment she is paying for is not provided by eircom to her your mother would have a case for a refund.

She will have to prove that she contacted them about returning equipment if its a charge for equipment rental.
    I can't figure out what they would charge 10 euro per month for unless she has 2 of their special needs phones ( large buttons/flashing light when it rings).

She will have to contact them via 1901 /accounts/ and make her case.
    If she gets no help from this department of eircom she should ask whomever she's speaking to, for the "eircom complaints" number, this is a seperate eircom department.

Eircom would prefer if you dealt with this department before you called Comreg.

I think once you request their complaints number people on 1901 will sit up and take notice.

I always find it helpful to personalise the complaint by getting the full name of the person I'm speaking with.

If you have to ring back you can ask for that person by name. Its always useful to ask them have they got a direct number they can be contacted at.

Best of luck with this, 360 euro refund would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I got a bill from Digiweb today 18 months after I cancelled, there was nothing taken out of my account though.

Sent them an email about it just to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

The first thing you should do is review one of your mothers phone bills,
    It should be clearly marked what eircom are charging her for, if the service/equipment she is paying for is not provided by eircom to her your mother would have a case for a refund.

She will have to prove that she contacted them about returning equipment if its a charge for equipment rental.
    I can't figure out what they would charge 10 euro per month for unless she has 2 of their special needs phones ( large buttons/flashing light when it rings).

She will have to contact them via 1901 /accounts/ and make her case.
    If she gets no help from this department of eircom she should ask whomever she's speaking to, for the "eircom complaints" number, this is a seperate eircom department.

Eircom would prefer if you dealt with this department before you called Comreg.

I think once you request their complaints number people on 1901 will sit up and take notice.

I always find it helpful to personalise the complaint by getting the full name of the person I'm speaking with.

If you have to ring back you can ask for that person by name. Its always useful to ask them have they got a direct number they can be contacted at.

Best of luck with this, 360 euro refund would be nice.

No she doesn't have any extra equipment. Apparently it's a charge put in place by Perlico for a fee which is still owed to Eircom. Perlico say she has to contact Eircom to cancel it, Eircom depending on who she speaks to say that it has been cancelled and is now Perlicos problem (Perlico refute this), the other response is email our customer service and we will cancel it (which she has done to no avail). Some lad from Eircom told her he'd phone her about it either today or tomorrow...(nothing so far). It sounds like the call center people can't figure out what the problem is and are passing the buck.

She has emailed them a few times now so I think contacting the complaints department is the next step and then inevitably the regulator, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Further to my prrevious post on this.

Is it possible that you mother is still being charged for dial up internet from eircom. ?
    I know that if a person had their flat rate internet service (dial up) one of the price packages was 9.99.

If you switched to broadband, you had to contact eircom to stop charging you this fee.

I know at one stage you got a letter which you were supposed to fill in and return to eircom, to cancel dial up services if you switched to broadband.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

God how I hate these threads where we have to extract over endless posts what exactly is going on while interspersed we have endelss speculation.

If would help resolve these matters quickly or at least yield some hopefully constructive suggestions if we could be told from the start exactly what is going on.

From the above it now appears that Perlico are the ones doing the actual billing? (So it is not Eircom who are actually doing the billing?)

On the bill there appears to be a charge which Perlico say is money due to Eircom?

It would seem to me that this has to be resoloved between your Mother and Perlico as they are the ones doing the actual billing.

So I would suggest that you or your mother write an old fashioned type letter to Perlico and ask them to give you specific details in writing on what this charge is for and on what basis they have been charging her.

No 'apparentlys' no 'I think' no uncertainty or speculation just what is the charge for!

There have been ten previous posts in this thread and we (or you and your mother too apparently) havent a clue what the charge is actually for. If you (and we) dont have this information how can you possible hope to get it stopped?

Only then can your question be answered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement