Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road film in Storm

• 11-01-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I was looking forward to seeing the film but its not in storm nor is it in their program for the next two weeks yet its out up in Storm in Limerick. Anyone know whats going on with it? i hope it doesnt go the way of the old cinema and not bother with certain films.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

X amount of films are released every week, and each cinema gets some of the films available, usually decided based on how profitable each one will be. I would be suspicious if there was enough copies of the film to be distributed to each cinema, perhaps that is the reason why.

SGC Dungarven don't have it, and that would encourage the point I made earlier to be true. The norm is if one Storm has a film, the others will have it too. But obviously there is a reason why, and I reckon that is the reason. I will investigate this and post what I find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

a mate of mine asked about it the other day and he was told that they won't be showing it

And I doubt we will be getting it anytime soon, there is alot of films out between now and February,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

just go see sherlock holmes instead!!! Problem sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Cheers lads. id imagine the Road was billed as one of the bigger films of this time of the year when you look at the films in storm most seem very mediocre. Ah well if im in Dublin in the next week I might see if I can catch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What a load of bollocks if they don't show it. It's a big movie with a lot of marketing behind it so you'd expect all the cinemas to have it.

I rarely get to go Storm as they usually only show Hollywood blockbuster rubbish so I was really looking forward to seeing something decent like The Road on the big screen. Ah well guess I'll just have to download the film and watch it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

thats ridiculous if they dont show it
    the same happened last year when i wanted to see "triangle" it was on all over the country except waterford

Just took a look, its done through Dimension Films, which hasn't brought out a good film in a while, and therefore would have lost a little credibility.

So because it's not Disney/Buena Vista, Universal, or Fox, of which the likes of Sherlock Holmes, It's Complicated..., etc fall under a couple of idiots in England decide that we won't get it,

I think the people who decides which films cinema gets really miss out, I mean, it took Storm a month before they got Slumdog Millionaire,

I'm not going to defend these people but if you look on http://www.imdb.com/ and upcoming films, there is about 2-7 films released every week, and we obviously can't show them all, (Films cost the cinema money too so that will be a factor, price)

As regards Triangle, that is distributed by Icon Film Distribution, also, films released around the same time (The Timetravellers wife, Aliens In The Attic, Bandslam, Orphan, The Ugly Truth, Inglorious Basterds) So that would have been one of the reasons why it wasn't gotten,

Being honest with you, it's not Storm's fault, it's all done through Odeon Cinemas in the UK. Storm Cinemas Waterford doesn't decide what films they get

ah yes i wouldn't go ape **** on the staff or anything but the cost to the cinema and i stand to be corrected on this is a fairly large % of the entrance fee. Storm or whoever dont pay a flat fee or at least a relivativly small one.

So it would seem to me it would work out for them to at least screen it for a week. We're not exactly talking a arthouse film here either like even if its **** its going to do some serious coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

What i find strange is that when you compare Storm Waterford and Storm Limerick both have 8 screens but instead of law obiding citizen and The Road in Limerick Waterford has Avatar 2D and the Hurt Locker i feel stupid for saying that but it just seems odd seems as each cinema doesnt decide what to show.

• Advertisement

going by the storm and omniplex websites its only on in dublin
    cant beleive it as it was a film i really wanted to see on the big screen

The Hurt Locker is being shown as part of WFFA http://www.waterfordfilmforall.com/ This is a once of screening by a non profit organisation that get alternative films shown like french films etc

When a film is shown is decided by the cinema, but Storm Limerick would be showing Avatar 2D as well, for people who can't watch 3D films. Because it is not as popular as the 3D it might only be shown during the day for one show only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The Road is being shown in Dungarvan!

wmpdd3 wrote: »

not according to it's website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wmpdd3 wrote: »

When?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oops, sorry wrong 2nd hand information. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    Just took a look, its done through Dimension Films, which hasn't brought out a good film in a while, and therefore would have lost a little credibility.

So because it's not Disney/Buena Vista, Universal, or Fox, of which the likes of Sherlock Holmes, It's Complicated..., etc fall under a couple of idiots in England decide that we won't get it,

I think the people who decides which films cinema gets really miss out, I mean, it took Storm a month before they got Slumdog Millionaire,

I'm not going to defend these people but if you look on http://www.imdb.com/ and upcoming films, there is about 2-7 films released every week, and we obviously can't show them all, (Films cost the cinema money too so that will be a factor, price)

As regards Triangle, that is distributed by Icon Film Distribution, also, films released around the same time (The Timetravellers wife, Aliens In The Attic, Bandslam, Orphan, The Ugly Truth, Inglorious Basterds) So that would have been one of the reasons why it wasn't gotten,

Being honest with you, it's not Storm's fault, it's all done through Odeon Cinemas in the UK. Storm Cinemas Waterford doesn't decide what films they get

In fairness, The Road is a big film, the sort of thing that should make it into Storm. I think it's pretty shocking that they might not have it. Nobody is saying they have to have everything that's released.

Also, it is Storm's fault, doesn't matter who their supplier/distributer is, that's there own business. Our business is with Storm, who will rightly be criticised when they fail to deliver on any part of the cinema experience. If they find that they are not getting all of the films that people expect to be there, they should change from Odeon to someone else. This whole idea that things are controlled from the UK and there is nothing anyone can do about it is rubbish.

It has been brought to my attention that there is about 6-8 copies of the film in Ireland, I would be under the impression that if the copies will be switched around to other cinemas Storm may get it sometime hopefully in the not too distant future,
    merlante wrote: »
    Also, it is Storm's fault, doesn't matter who their supplier/distributer is, that's there own business. Our business is with Storm, who will rightly be criticised when they fail to deliver on any part of the cinema experience.

I would not regard it Storm's fault that there is only that amount of copies in the country. I believe that is an issue with the distributor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    I would not regard it Storm's fault that there is only that amount of copies in the country. I believe that is an issue with the distributor

Well surely if they were with a different distributer, and they managed to get a a copy, there would be more copies in the country?

Anyway, the point is, our business is with Storm, if they can't deliver whilst other cinemas do, then they will be quite rightly criticised. Every business has issues in its supply chain that it has to sort out, and which the customer shouldn't need to care about.

The tone of some posts seem to be along the lines of "don't complain, there's nothing they can do about it," which is an attitude that is likely to lead to a worse service in the future as opposed to a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Not being an arsehole or anything but just to propose some evidence I ran "The road" into entertainment.ie's search engine and there are 9 cinemas showing it this week. Now I don't know how it works but does that mean that those cinemas are sharing a limited number of copies or is there actually 9 copies of it circulating in Dublin?

• Advertisement

I think the amount of copies that are in Ireland are not as much as there should be, I know some copies are kept away due to if there is print damage or something wrong with a film, a replacement film would be sent out.

I am under the impression that The Road will be showing in Waterford, check the site tommorow as the schedule will be available

The Road, showing Friday to Thursday, (Schedule runs from Friday to Thursday ever week)

http://waterford.stormcinemas.ie/bookingDetails.tpl?showcode=THEROAD

There has been more copies of the film sent out to other cinemas.

thats great news
    well done to all concerned

what if after all this its **** :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

ziedth wrote: »
    what if after all this its **** :)
    Two lads walkng down a road for two hours? I can think of a few better things to do with my time.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Two lads walkng down a road for two hours? I can think of a few better things to do with my time.
    Not a road THE road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

That's excellent news. People should remember that speaking up does often yield results, as is evident from this thread. Good job Storm!

Advertisement