Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband or Proper broadband

• 12-01-2010 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

I'm very crap with technology, so apologies in advance :o

These broadband things that the mobile phone companies like O2 etc do ... are they as good as normal broadband? As in, if I move into a new apartment that doesn't have internet already, should I get regular broadband or just buy the mobile kind?

And are any of the companies better than each other, or are they all much the same and I should just go with whichever is cheapest?

All I really use the internet for is surfing and emailing and facebook etc, it's not like I'd need to be able to download huge amounts.

Thanks ... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

These broadband things that the mobile phone companies like O2 etc do ... are they as good as normal broadband?

No, not at all like a proper reliable service. It could get speeds that are comparable, but the latency will never match, and the speeds often do not. The usage limits are usually much lower too, with charges for excess always being applied. Quality will also depend on signal strength and number of other users in the same cell. Performance goes down exponentially with an increase in user numbers. It doesn't divide equally among all users.
    As in, if I move into a new apartment that doesn't have internet already, should I get regular broadband or just buy the mobile kind?

And are any of the companies better than each other, or are they all much the same and I should just go with whichever is cheapest?

I would advise you get proper broadband, only get mobile if you need mobility (or have no other option). UPC cable doesn't require a phone line, Imagine Breeze and Digiweb Metro are wireless and also don't need a phone line.

Advertisement