Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Scanning Questions

• 12-01-2010 12:10am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about what device would be best to upload photos. I guess this is sort of part 2 of that.

I went with the Canon 8800f, lovely little machine and very fast.
    My query is this: If I use Photoshop to scan then I get a panel in which I can fix different things whilst I upload, makes the photo look lovely, but they end up around 400k in size.

If I use the software that came with it I don't get these options but the files are 2.0mb or thereabouts.

Am I right to assume that I should go with the lesser good-looking but bigger photos. Another things is option no.2 doesn't crop so the bigger size might just be because it's A4 with a photo in the corner.
    My ultimate aim is to create a photobook. I've tried some of the photos online and they look fine there.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If it were me I'd be leaving as is in the scan. You can always do basic adjustments in PS, and then you have total control.

You should be able to crop the scanning area to get rid of the A4 white bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

dory wrote: »

Got any examples of how good it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

at 100% zoom what are the dimensions of the two different scans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dory wrote: »
    My query is this: If I use Photoshop to scan then I get a panel in which I can fix different things whilst I upload, makes the photo look lovely, but they end up around 400k in size.

If I use the software that came with it I don't get these options but the files are 2.0mb or thereabouts.

It sounds as though you ought to read the instructions for the canonscan software a little more :)
    I've never scanned through photoshop, I assume it's a generic TWAIN interface, or maybe there's a canon specific interface, I don't know. Scanning in the standalone app though, you ought to be able to do a preview scan, then select a crop of what it is you want to scan, and then do the full scan. That's how 99% of scanning software I've ever used works.
    The reason for this is that you want to scan your photos at maybe 300 or 600 DPI. Chances are they were printed initially at 300 DPI if they're 6x4 or 7x5 minilab prints done at any point over the last 10 years or so, so there's little point in scanning at anything higher than 600. If they're optical prints then you can scan at a higher resolution if you want.

This will give you a final resolution of (say a 6x4 at 600 DPI) 3600x2400. The reason for all the above is that, if you're scanning the entire bed of the scanner and getting a file that's about 2 mb then you're scanning at some ridiculously low res, there'll be an option somewhere to adjust all this.

Where did you buy the scanner and how much did it cost Dory? I'm currently looking for a new film scanner and it's between this one and the Epson V500. Only place I've found them both at the moment is Conns. I'm not going to buy online as that's where I got my Canon 4400F and I'm not happy with it. Quality is terrible and it leaves a stripe across all negative scans which I presume is a fault with just my one but I had it a good while vefore I used the film scanner and it seemed too much hassle to return to Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

FX Meister wrote: »
    Quality is terrible and it leaves a stripe across all negative scans which I presume is a fault with just my one but I had it a good while vefore I used the film scanner and it seemed too much hassle to return to Germany.

If it's simialar to the 8600 then the film holder has a little 'window' right at the top. the scanner uses the light through this window to calibrate itself when it's doing a transparency scan. Make sure the glass there is as meticulously clean as you can get it, and you might find an improvement there with regard to the stripiness at least.

I'll take a look, thanks Daire.

That worked Daire. Can't believe I've had it this long and can finally use it. I'll keep it for a while longer I guess. Going to upgrade in a bit so I can scan my own 120 once I start developing it myself too.

bwcomp.jpg
    Ilford XP2 400 Left is my scan and the right is the scan from the Fuji lab in Artane Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Dory - I have this scanner too, but am getting 'flecks' in dark areas (moiré?) when I scan photos. Is this happening with you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement