Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a university in the UK with a good PGCE please?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am thinking of doing primary teaching but I don't have an honors in Irish so figure I best go to the UK. Does anyone know of a good University to do a PGCE in?
    Also, people who have done hons Irish, do you think it is too late to study loads for the LC hons Irish to sit it in summer 2010? I got a C2 at pass level in 2003.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

GraceK25 wrote: »
    I am thinking of doing primary teaching but I don't have an honors in Irish so figure I best go to the UK. Does anyone know of a good University to do a PGCE in?
    Also, people who have done hons Irish, do you think it is too late to study loads for the LC hons Irish to sit it in summer 2010? I got a C2 at pass level in 2003.

it wouldnt be impossible to sit the exam this year in terms of the actual language, it might be a bit difficult to pick up on the literature, but if u have enought time to devote to it then i'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭magnus500

Sorry to post a negative one but I wouldn't recommend the course in Moray House in Edinburgh. The city is great but the course is not, oversubscribed and difficult to get everyone placed for teaching practice. I've heard Glasgow is very good though.

Hope you find a fantastic one and it's a great job!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

St. Marys , Strawberry Hill , Twickenham, London - I could not praise this place highly enough. Also it has a very good reputation with the principals I have spoken to. The course is intensive but worthwhile with 90% of the students there Irish. They also use interactive whiteboards in most of the schools you would be placed in, another advantage.
    With regards the Irish, you would be better off trying to get the LC before you go as it will still be very good practise for the SCG when you come back. The SCG is fairly hard to get and alot of work will be needed to pass it. You won't be able to do your dip when you come back until you get it. Best of luck

Advertisement