Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making a double sided fireplace from existing twin fireplaces

• 12-01-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering how much work would be involved in turning two opposing fieplaces sharing a single chimney stack, see "twin_fireplaces.jpg") into a single, double-sided fieplace (see "double_sided_fireplace.jpg")?

I'm not if this is even something that can be done retrospectively given the fact that something has to support the weight of the chimey stack.

Would be really glad to get people's thoughts on it.

Theroretically, I would not be leaving it as an open fireplace because of the heat loss, but would put in some kind of double sided wood buring stove in there and attempt to keep draughts to a minimum, like such models as Bronpi's Huelva, Boru's Carraig Mór or Hunter's Herald 6.

Cheers,
    GY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Retain the services of a Structural Engineer to inspect & design accordingly. Do not attempt this work without professional advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Okay, I'll hold fire on the sledge hammer for the time being :D

Seriously though, I do take your point RKQ and thanks for your response - sound advice. An engineer is the only way to go with regard to figuring out the work to be done, load tolerances, etc. but of course I'd have to pay an engineer for their time, so before I go to that expense I just wanted to find out if anyone out there has faced a similar situation and if so, whether it required a good bit of time, effort and money or if it was reasonably straight forward?

I'm thinking it would require at least one or two RSJs to prop up the void space, but what I can't figure out is if it is possible to prop up an entire chimney stack while they're being put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd love to help more but we can not discuss Structural matters here. I don't want to be banned for a misquote or misunderstanding.

Get 3 quotes from local Structural Engineers for a visual inspection, advice & specification. It might not cost as much as you think. Either way it is money well spent.

I have done very similar work in the past. It is possible and not overly difficult or expensive. A good Structural Engineer will advise you very quickly. Good luck with the works - it could look great.

RKQ wrote: »
    I'd love to help more but we can not discuss Structural matters here. I don't want to be banned for a misquote or misunderstanding.

Aha, sorry - I didn't realise that, my mistake.

Thanks again for your response - Well... hmmm, how to put this... without going into the specifics of the job itself and the work carried out, can you remember roughly what it cost you to do and what tradespeople were involved (their trades that is, not the actual names of the people involved)? And I suppose, the time involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its certainly not one to go breaking into without knowing what you are doing.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Its certainly not one to go breaking into without knowing what you are doing.

You'll get no argument from me on that, that's for sure :D

Basically, what I'm trying to establish here is if it's worth my while forking out to consult with an engineer on this.

From what RKQ has said, it sounds like it is, but I just wanted to get a bit more info on the scale of the costs, time and disruption involved in terms of anybody's actual experience.... and of course not get anyone booted off in the process :)

Advertisement