Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance and Medical Card?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just have a quick question in relation to health insurance. I am a student and qualify for a medical card. However, I am interested in taking out health insurance and am wondering whether I can still qualify for my medical card if I have private health insurance. The insurance covers 50% of everyday fees I think, whereas the medical card full covers GP visits etc.

Also, does anyone know if QuinnHealth are the best insurer for students. I checked their quick quote and they seem to be miles cheaper than aviva or VHI. I was quoted €255 for Healthmanager Starter which is fantastic considering a similar package with the other insurers comes to approximately €750. Am I missing something here? Quinn appear to be the only insurer to offer reduced cost to students whereas VHI and Aviva only give quotes for 'Adults'.

Finally, are VHI the only insurer to offer dental cover? I was recently informed that the medical card will no longer cover dental costs (Don't know if this is true?).

I really appreciate any advice as this is my first time looking at health insurance! Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Hi Friend

As far as I'm aware, having health insurance in itself won't jeopardise your medical card. I would ask if it's necessary to have health insurance, if the medical card will cover the types of visits you expect to have (GPs, etc), but that's a different question for a different day. The range of treatments covered by the medical card will be different from those covered by the health insurance, with some overlap.

As for the student rate, all three health insurers offer a student rate, but it's only available as part of a family policy. A student on their own, such as you, would be charged as an adult. I think that's part of the health insurance legislation, so I don't forsee anyway around that. This probably explains why Quinn seem so much cheaper.

Quinn healthcare's policies all include hospital cover as part of their benefits, so if you're looking for something that's out-patient only (GPs, complementary therapists, etc), look at VHI's HealthSteps products, or Aviva's day to day plans. Also have a look at the Health Insurance Authority's website, www.hia.ie, which includes a product comparison tool. Pick the out-patient cover only option on the comparison if that's what you're looking for.

VHI are the only provider of a comprehensive dental insurance package, which is available to anyone. However, some of the products I mentioned above include an element of dental cover. For example, HealthSteps Silver covers 7 visits per year, up to a maximum of €25 per visit.

Hope this helps. If you want to dig into what the medical card covers, try the Citizens Information website, www.citizensinformation.ie. And try the Health Insurance Authority's website to learn a bit more about how health insurance works and what the different options are.

Advertisement