Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX 360 Drive Replacement Problems

• 12-01-2010 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys - having SERIOUS trouble here trying to replace the drive in my 360. My original drive is a Hitatchi GDR3120L, which is dying. My replacement drive is a BenQ VAD6038.

I have retieved an original f/w dump of the Hitatchi, and have loaded that into JungleFlasher 0.1.69 as the source firmware. Then, in the destination firmware I have loaded the original f/w dump of the BenQ. JF accepts both firmwares, and I hit the spoof button - which transfers the drive key etc ito the BenQ.

Then, Im able to set the BenQ into vendor mode with JF. Im also able to write the custom firmware onto the drive with ANY probs/errors.

Upon booting the drive in the 360, all is well until I load a disc (an original disc). The drive sounds like its reading, but stops and the 360 just gives me the option to "Open Drive" as if there was no disc in it at all.

I have also tried using dosflash/firmtool - with an iprepped usb key. I create the custom firmware (original firmware with spoofed cd key) in JF, then transfer that to the usb key. Ive flashed it from dos but still the same result.

I SERIOUSLY need help here, but am starting to think the BenQ may have been fubar'd from the start. Im not messing with ixtreme even at this point, all Im doing is flashing original firmware with the spoofed data and it wont read anything at all. Also Ive noticed in vendor mode, the drive doesnt show up in My Computer. If I boot the PC while the drive is in vendor mode, the pc will take an eternity to boot, but still no drive showing in my computer.

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated guys :(

Edit - Im on Win7 Ultimate x64 (but shouldnt make any odds as the dos method fails too right?)

Comments

Did you save the JF log? If so ill take a look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Being on Windows 7 shouldn't make any odds because it only used to affect the detection of the drive and installation of PortIO. And since it doesn't work in DOS either the case is twofold for another problem.

My 360 drives never show up in Windows, I never found it a problem. As long as JF saw the drive then it was happy days.

The procedure you're following seems correct - are you sure that Hitachi OFW has the right key? Compare a current dump from the Hitachi drive with iX or whatever to the key in your OFW.

JF should also report that the drive is being spoofed as a Hitachi after you "Spoof to target" - is it? Logs?

There are also 2 Revs of BenQs.

62430c & 64930C, i have legit stock versions of both if you need em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ok for the last hour and a half, JF is causing a BSOD when launched with the 360s drive sta channel loaded :mad:

Ill get some logs tomorrow if I can get it working again, but I just noticed something here. In JF - where it says "DVD Key @" - the memory address for the two formwares appears different. Its not quite a log, but does this pic look correct?

The firmware key is probably located at different offsets depending on the firmware & manufacturer of the drive. And from what I know that looks just like it should.

If that box isn't currently banned, I would consider blanking a bit of the DVDkey, can never be too cautious there PC1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just as a side note, JF didnt work for me in W7 X64, well correction it did, but portio didnt. I have a seperate 10gb XP partition especially for 360 flashing :P

If you have a Via sata card, remove the drivers and let portio do its thing. This is prob whats causing the BSOD.

Did JF write and verify ok when you flashed the drive?

TV - The 360 is flagged to be banned, so the drive key is useless to anybody (including me at the moment :D)

Wittness - could I install XP to a usb key and boot from it?

Cisk - Im not using a VIA card - the sata is going direct into my mobo (MSI P7N Nforce). When it BSOD's, it dumps the core memory and reboots, but at the top of the BSOD it says something like "IRQS_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" :confused:

It also flashes & verifys correctly, both in JF & Dos. Really stumped on this one, and could need your help guys :(

Edit - Even if there is a drive key mismatch, apparently the drive should still recognise Dvd Movies & play them from the 360, correct? Well mine doesnt, still gives the "open tray" message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

if you have a original f/w with the key (and looks like you have) why won't you try to prepare an usb stick with iprep or 360 modification usb (have a look here).

I'm using w7 (32bit) and Jf all the time and had no troubles, but still I think that flashing in dos is safer.

It that won't help I would say it is laser in the drive.

EDIT: just noticed that you did try to flash in dos. I'm 99% that it is the drive then

EnterNow wrote: »

Edit - Even if there is a drive key mismatch, apparently the drive should still recognise Dvd Movies & play them from the 360, correct? Well mine doesnt, still gives the "open tray" message.

That is true, but thats a key mismatch. To play DVDS the firmware still has to be present right? Maybe your firmware is bad? Try a diffrent version of the firmware maybe?

• Advertisement

Ill PM you Stock BenQ firmware which i have used many times.

Its defo a 64930c? Double check the label.

If you can't play DVD movies with the BenQ in the console when it's flashed with the BenQ stock firmware the drive came with (so there's a key mismatch) then it's most definitely the drive that's faulty - could be firmware or could be the laser and I guess cisk has you covered with the firmware.

Ok guys - got it sorted finally. The issues were naot caused by one problem, more so a combination of a few.

1 - I knew the issue was with the drive itself, as DVD's wouldnt play even with BenQ stock firmware (despite the key mismatch).

2 - Lost patience, I despise having to send stuff back & have to wait ANOTHER two weeks for a replacement.

3 - Cracked open the drive (thus violating a warranty sticker on the drive - but to hell with that at this point, I just spent the last ten hours sitting on the floor. My legs may never be the same again :p)

4 - Took a measurment of the dvd pot's setting. Compared it to the average found on most BenQ drives. The average was between 3.8 and 3.5 ohms. Mine measured 4.2!!!

5 - Adjusted the pot into range (3.66 was the closest I could get to 3.60 - the adjustments are infinitecimal)

6 - Tryed a DVD in the 360 - voila, saw 5 in all its glory (or lack of).

7 - Got JF working again with no BSOD (Still very buggy with x64 at this point, but all credit to its authors). Spoofed the stock benq f/w with the Hitatchi's details. Saved, then reflashed with ix1.51 (I know its not the latest, more on that below).

8 - Booted the 360 - nothing being recognised again. Had to be a bad flash, despite the verification results. Loaded JF again, installed a spoofed ix1.61 this time. Verification good again, tried in the 360. Drive went nuts, hyperspinning discs & random seek checks. Concluded JF just doesn't work reliably in a x64 environment.

9 - Spoofed ix1.51 with firmtool, and flashed with dosflash. Tried in the 360 - wave4 games being recognised as dvd's :mad::mad::mad:

10 - Done my homework on IX firmware. Turns out that ix1.51 has different functionality on the benq, than it did on my Hitachi.

11 - Spoofed ix1.61 onto the Benq - days of happiness :)

Now the reason I wanted ix1.51 was because it has wavex support. Most of you will know, this allows booting of any future wave games - and since I dont give a damn about live, I wasnt worried out booting incorrectly setup wave partitions.

Personally I believe this drive should have been checked before dispatch - and the seller is getting a neutral feeback (ebay) explaining to people why.

I was going to document this process for this forum (with wittnessmenow's green light), but it turned into such a complete mess that all logic had been exhausted and any documentary on it would have been very messy indeed. It would have been a hell of a lot easier had the drive been calibrated correctly in the first place. Im getting tired of ebay for this sort of crap, Id give anything to find reputable merchant for this kind of stuff.

Cisc - how much would one of your BenQ's set me back? The reason Im asking, is that generally in my experience, once pots have to be adjusted on lasers its a sure fire sign the drive is on its last legs. I might pick one up to have as a spare & be handy to know someone in the locality.

And lads - thank you ALL for your input. It's very much appreciated :)

Heeding TV's advice, I've removed my screen grab from above as it displayed my drive key. Here's an editied version in order to keep the thread complete, incase anyone else has the same issues.

I got to be honest, I had a bit of an evil thought of posting "hows that guide coming?" :pac:

Man im a prick :)

Heh :D

Glad you got it sorted EnterNow, I wouldn't have the foggiest how to adjust a pot though I do know what you're talking about at least :P

I got to be honest, I had a bit of an evil thought of posting "hows that guide coming?" :pac:

Ohhh...now thats a new low for Console Modding!!! :D:D
    Heh :D

Glad you got it sorted EnterNow, I wouldn't have the foggiest how to adjust a pot though I do know what you're talking about at least :P

You just attach your multi-meter to eith side of the pot, and screw left or right unti you have the magic number. Very fine adjustments though, its nothing difficult at all. Ps hows your soldering coming along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

good to hear you sorted it, even better to hear that I was right :P (I'm terrible I know)

Advertisement