Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gripe with Portarlington Gym Opening Hours

Options
  • 12-01-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Last year I bought a years subscription for the Portarlington Leisure Centre.
    I have to say I find it to be very well kept and well run. Compared to other gyms I've been a member of, the machines are nearly always all operational and there's never too long a wait for any of the machines. The staff also seem to be quite helpful.
    I have to say though, I think their opening hours are absolutely ridiculous. I paid my annual subscription in the belief that they'd be open for a fixed amount of hours every week. I'm not 100% sure, because I've a terrible memory, but I'm pretty sure they reduced the opening hours during the summer closing about 30 mins earlier.
    In addition to this they reduce the hours completely over Christmas, closing at 7.00 at the latest and to top this off, they have now extended their holiday for an extra week, because of the "adverse weather conditions".
    I commute to Dublin to work every weekday, returning around 7.00 at the earliest. I doubt I'm the only member that does this, which means that their reduction in hours makes my membership a complete waste.
    I find it very annoying to pay for something which is then not provided. Is this even legal ? I dont remember anything on their subscription form saying they could reduce the opening hours whenever they like and I definitely dont think that they can use the current weather as an excuse to keep their reduced hours. If they want to make cutbacks like that I think they should have to refund some of the subscriptions paid or at the very least apologise for doing it.
    Am I being too harsh ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

Just heard that the gym in Port is open until 8:30pm tonight and are back to normal hours from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I don't know why ye paid your subscriptions in the first place to be honest. The opening hours have always stunk. In a commuter town, you have to pander to the commuter if you want something to be successful.

I remember seeing the place shut remarkably early during the summer (and not open early enough either).

There's plenty of decent gyms (cheap too) with good access to Heuston, the Markievicz and St Catherine's being two I can think of offhand.

St. Catherine’s, Community Sports Centre,
    Marrowbone Lane,
    Dublin 8.
    Tel: 01 222 7541
    Email: stcatherines.sportscentre@dublincity.ie

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/SportsFacilities/LeisureCentres/Pages/LeisureCentres.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

also a lot of mums r giving out, they used to open earlier in the mornings so was great when mums, or dads dropped the kids tp school, now apparently 3 days a week it doesnt open till 11.30 which if u got little kids in playschool or infants it dont give u much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Must say it is something that really bugs me also. I think it should be open from 7 am. I think some members were in discussion with the management about this dont know if it is ongoing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I was talking to a mate who received gym membership as a gift for Christmas, couldn't believe how much it costs!!

My membership for my local gym in Dublin is €300 for 18 months, and I understand the argument for larger population = lower rates but.. I dunno. Add to that, my gym opens at 7am and closes at 10pm daily.

Sounds like the town gym market needs a bit of competition, but its not actually big enough to have 2 gyms. I guess you're stuck with the monopoly provider.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It may be due to demand that the closing and opening hours change. While as its a subscription service I do not agree with them being allowed to change their hours without discussion with their members it does happen. They open at 7am for 5 days a week and only one of these days they see someone between 7 and 9am so why should they remain open.

This practice is OK for shops and pubs but services like gyms where people have paid for the year in advance should be involved in the discussion of the hours. If I was a member I would be asking for a reduction of membership if they are reducing hours.

Advertisement