Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why hang up after 59 mins?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

What's the reason these guys in Eircom, BT, UTV Talk etc. require you to hang up before the hour mark so that you can avail of the free call landline to landline?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

astrofluff wrote: »
    What's the reason these guys in Eircom, BT, UTV Talk etc. require you to hang up before the hour mark so that you can avail of the free call landline to landline?

not sure..
    same with meteor though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I dont get ya? I'm with eircom and we get free phoneca;;s landline to landline for up to one hour or as you say if we hang up on 59 mins,then we can just ring back the person for another hour for free.I'm not exactly sure why they dont let you go for 2 hours straight but more then likely its money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

As far as I know, it's to discourage people leaving a modem permenantly connected/online for internet access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Moriarty wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's to discourage people leaving a modem permenantly connected/online for internet access.

That's what I'd've thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The problem I have is the missus uses the phone and doesn't watch the clock...grr when I see 1 hour+ and end up paying for the whole call!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Moriarty wrote: »
    Free calls have nothing to do with the modem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Free calls have nothing to do with the modem!

I read when it was mention with this face - :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Erbium

shakencat wrote: »
    not sure..
    same with meteor though
    Thats because Meteor are Eircom....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

The problem I have is the missus uses the phone and doesn't watch the clock...grr when I see 1 hour+ and end up paying for the whole call!

Thats your reason right there...:mad:

LA3G wrote: »

How does the modem permanently connected to the internet have any bearing on free landline to landline calls? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

How does the modem permanently connected to the internet have any bearing on free landline to landline calls? :eek:

If an ISP supplies you with a geographical number e.g. 01 xxxxxxx the exchange won't be able to distinguish the call from a normal voice call so if you didn't have to hang up after 59 minutes you could leave your modem connected to the ISP permanently.

If you use a 1850 or 1890 to get dial up access (think Eircom/Indigo use these for dial up) you'll be charged differently to a normal voice call anyway.

Thanks for the reply, rmacm.

I was expecting the Troll to answer tho! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for the reply, rmacm.

I was expecting the Troll to answer tho! ;)

On posting, referencing the previous posters statement about the modem affecting calls I at the time believed it not to.

What troll? Welcome to the internets.

Ok. I think I understand now.
    I think there's a bit of a language barrier here.
    LA3G wrote: »
    It's just that that does not make a lot of sense to me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Do Smart Telecom also have this 59 minute rule?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You can ask Smart directly here:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

as there was no need to go digging up a nearly 2 year old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement