Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue Piercing

• 12-01-2010 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Few my friends have it done but all they say is it doesn't hurt one bit bla bla bla but what is the truth about tongue piercings, does it actually hurt at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yes. But it's not that bad. Over in a jiffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

I got my tongue done when I was about 16 up in snakebite. I was so scared to get it done, I thought it was going to hurt like mad cause when you bite your tongue it's pretty sore!! I eventually plucked up the courage and got it done and to be perfectly honest with you it didn't hurt at all...yeah it was a bit uncomfortable sitting there with your tongue pulled out but that was it! I didn't think it was sore, the worst bit was the two weeks after when it swelled up and I sounded like I was talking with a lisp and I couldn't eat a lot of things! For some people it might not swell too much, everybody is different!! In my opinion thou it was well worth it, I love it! And I've had quite a few sore piercings since n the tongue is nothing compared to it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Pain is different for everyone. There is no set pain for individual piercings :P If you want it just get it done and forget about the pain. Just imagine a needle going through your tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I found it not that bad. It is a short sharp pinch, a lot less pain than getting anything with cartilage pierced (upper ear, etc).

I have to say that even though it really does not hurt for more than a second when you get it pierced; it swells up for a few days and that is the real annoyance.

If you do go ahead with this (and I still wear mine and love it) I would stock up on soft ice cream or ices you can just hold in your mouth and they will help with the swelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

jujibee wrote: »
    If you do go ahead with this (and I still wear mine and love it) I would stock up on soft ice cream or ices you can just hold in your mouth and they will help with the swelling.

Dairy products should be kept away from any oral piercings where possible. Crushed ice is your friend!

• Advertisement

And baby food :P I had a friend who got venoms (double tongue piercings) and although they are considerably different from normal tongue piercings, she swore by it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Munster_Abu

It affects everyone differently, but dont be working yourself up and freaking out before because you'll make it worse than it seems..
    For me it was less painful than biting your tongue, as other comments have said it more uncomfortable than painful..
    Its the week after that it hurts. The swelling is pretty bad. Eating solids was a no no for me for the week..
    Take nurofen before you get it done, have crushed ice to put on it after, drink plenty of water, and clean with salt and water. Heard some people got anti-inflammatory sprays that are ment to help alot so maybe ask the piercer about that or go to the chemist and ask..
    And to anyone that gets it done, whatever you do DONT be messing and tugging at the bar and pulling it with your teeth when it hasnt healed properly, ive seen a friends after she did and its nasty.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

It affects everyone differently, but dont be working yourself up and freaking out before because you'll make it worse than it seems..
    For me it was less painful than biting your tongue, as other comments have said it more uncomfortable than painful..
    Its the week after that it hurts. The swelling is pretty bad. Eating solids was a no no for me for the week..
    Take nurofen before you get it done, have crushed ice to put on it after, drink plenty of water, and clean with salt and water. Heard some people got anti-inflammatory sprays that are ment to help alot so maybe ask the piercer about that or go to the chemist and ask..
    And to anyone that gets it done, whatever you do DONT be messing and tugging at the bar and pulling it with your teeth when it hasnt healed properly, ive seen a friends after she did and its nasty.!

+1 to this. Was exactly what I was going to say! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheGinjaninja

it didn't hurt one bit but the swelling bout a week later or so sucks:p

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

They're easily infected, and difficult to get them out, but if you want one then I'd recommend a snake bite.

And they look good : D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

I got mine done some years ago, and it didn't really hurt that much at all I was very surised, the only piercing that I found painful was my labret. The tongue heals up really fast too, and I had no problem eating after the second day to be honest.

However, I did chip some teeth with the bar, nothing major but it's something to note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Ive had mine done for a few years and the most annoying part about getting it done is the swelling. There is slight discomfort when the needle is going in, obviously, but its less painful than biting your tongue.

Just stock up on crushed ice, and steer clear of dairy products if you want it to heal up nice and quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Star_Me_Kitten

I did the whole biting my tongue/pressing my teeth on it thing to judge how much itd hurt.. that hurt a lot more!! Its a lot less painful than cartilage/labret piercings and the main fallback, like many have already said,is the healing time.

That said, lucky for me, I was eating solids the next day and had little to no swelling. Alternatively, a friend of mine got it, couldnt eat solids for a week and his tongue turned a blue/black colour and swelled ridiculously. Not a scare story, he was fine it was just mega unomfortable for awhile apparently.

Its my fave piercing, go for it and enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tamith

Curious about the same thing, actually - looking forward to going to Ireland this week for a few months and am considering taking the jump and getting my tongue pierced while there. But has anyone had any really bad dental problems because of their tongue piercing, here?

I was thinking about that a few days ago - are there any types of jewelry that may be used to prevent the dental problems? (I even wondered if something like labret jewelry (or something with flat ends) could be put in, but I don't even know if that'd work). My family has its fair share of tooth problems and so far, I've been spared - would prefer not to have to endure the finances that come with getting them fixed, so anything I can do to prevent problems caused by this would be great!

Tongue piercings are generally fine as long as you're wearing correct size jewellery. A longer bar will be put in initially to accommodate for any swelling but this should be changed when your piercer reccommends. After that your piercer will put in a new bar which will fit better and shouldn't interfere with your teeth. Of course playing with it etc. is going to affect your teeth so it's advisable that you don't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anto86

didnt hurt me one bit iv got it done twice two bars in the one tounge i love it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the wizzard

A good piercer should be able to offer you Bioplast Jewellery. This does a lot less damage to the teeth than titanium. But mainly don't be stupid and deliberately crack the balls against your teeth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tamith

anto86 wrote: »
    didnt hurt me one bit iv got it done twice two bars in the one tounge i love it :p

Wow O.O I'd definitely love to see what that looks like ^_^
    A good piercer should be able to offer you Bioplast Jewellery. This does a lot less damage to the teeth than titanium. But mainly don't be stupid and deliberately crack the balls against your teeth!

Lol no. I wouldn't deliberately be stupid, but I've got a habit of fidgeting, which made me worry. Would hate the sound of my teeth cracking xD Thank you for the info though :)

looks exactly like this

jezik.jpg

Or how about this

• Advertisement

Or how about this

woulda lovin to got that but i got 1 and then 1 a year later for thatya'd prob wanna get two at once :mad: wish i hada seen that sooner

Two piercings done at once. It requires dedication and serious attention to aftercare as you can imagine the chances of swelling is greatly increased. The tricky part is marking up. It may not look it from that angle but those 2 bars are perfectly aligned. Marking and clamping took nearly 5 minutes to make sure no veins are clipped and that they're in line and symmetrical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I was really worried about getting my tongue pierced, but it honestly wasn't anywhere near as painful as I thought it would be. You imagine the pain of the needle going through will last forever, but it was only a little sharp nick. I would actually go as far to say that biting your tongue is alot worse that getting your tongue pierced.
    I would recommend maybe going for an ice lolly or a cold beverage after getting this piercing to help with swelling. You should try to drink iced water and eat ice pops through out the first week of having your tongue piercing to reduce swelling as much as possible. Tongue piercings are quick healers too and can heal from as early as 12 days after getting them done.

Alot of people give out about tongue piercings affecting your teeth (mainly dentists) but if you have a fitted tongue bar you should have absolutely no issues with chipping your teeth providing you aren't playing with it and drumming the bar off your teeth.

Advertisement