Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Jacket - Clear Rain Cape/Shell (Showerproof): Opinions?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi. I want to buy a clear (as in see through, so you can still see the jersey underneath when racing) cycling rain cape to hold off showers. I already have an excellent soft shell jacket for cold conditions but it cannot deal with rain at all. I want to be able to pack this water resistant / waterproof cape away in the pocket to hold of any temporary (or maybe sometimes long) rainshowers. I have narrowed it down the following two, but please feel free to link to others you would recommend them or would feel are better than these. Racing fit required as much as possible and prices must be reasonable too!

1. Sombrio Tarp Waterproof Jacket €22 from Wiggle using voucher:

Description from CRC who are charging €38 for it. Wiggle call it waterproof but I cannot seem to find it saying that anywhere else so maybe it actually isn't! What do you think?

Straight up rain protection with a little bit of reflective flare.

• EPIK fit.
    • Two-tiered back ventilation.
    • Rear reflective taping.

Materials:
    • 100% Pu Poly Urethane - Protection from the wet at the sacrifice of breathability
    • 100% Polyester Mesh - For ventilation.
    Epik fit training jacket for those wet race days. Ideal for a start line warm up when race kit must be on display. Features 2 tiered back ventilation and rear reflective taping

102240.jpg102239.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________

2. PBK Exclusive RL Transparent Waterproof Jacket €33.15 using voucher:

•Exclusive top quality PBK bike wear
    •Silicone Logos
    •Breathable material

PBK transparent waterproof jacket. Made from a breathable material and also transparent so can be used in races.

•Wintex Klear fabric: breathable technical fabric which doesn't allow water or the outside humidity to pass through blocking the wind at the same time.
    •Elasticated wrists and waist.
    •Full zip with top housing and internal cover to prevent it catching.
    •Mesh ventilated underarms.
    •Weight: 150g.
    •Will fold into a pocket size easily.
    •Top quality waterproof at a fraction the price of other models.

C0605.jpgC0605-A.jpg

Which clear cycling jacket/rain cape would you go for? 2 votes

Sombrio Tarp Waterproof Jacket €22.57
    0%
    PBK Exclusive RL Transparent Waterproof Jacket €33.15
    0%
    Other (Please let me know what it is!)
    100%
    Caroline_ieabcdggs 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BikePure wrote: »
    please feel free to link to others you would recommend them or would feel are better than these. Racing fit required as much as possible and prices must be extortionate too!

Assos Climajet Vest From €107.12

Assos ProsLine ClimaJet Jacket From €174.08

Amazing New Year bargains. The arms cost less than €34 each!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Noticed on the Irish DH site that OC Tuning are doing a January Sale, and they are selling the Fox clear rain jackets for 20e: http://www.irishdh.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10297&p=44076&hilit=clear#p44076

I think they are these ones:

2008_Fox_Racing_MX_Fluid_Jacket_Clear.jpg

Send them a mail and they might be able to sort you out. They are based out in Kimmage.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    Assos Climajet Vest From €107.12

Assos ProsLine ClimaJet Jacket From €174.08

Amazing New Year bargains. The arms cost less than €34 each!

Worth it though (if you can afford it!)
    I like the Climajet jacket so much, I've bought a spare:)
    A bit cheaper (£137) at Slane (most of the Assos stuff is cheaper there at present)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭BikePure

Assos €107.12....Assos €174.08
    Ah, thanks....but no thanks! I would if I had the money, but I don't!
    silvo wrote: »
    Noticed on the Irish DH site that OC Tuning are doing a January Sale, and they are selling the Fox clear rain jackets for 20e: http://www.irishdh.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10297&p=44076&hilit=clear#p44076

I think they are these ones:

Send them a mail and they might be able to sort you out. They are based out in Kimmage.
    Thank you very much for that, a really good informative post! That is actually madness, the website I came across when researching the Sombrio sells that Fox one too directly above the Sombrio just for a couple of Yen less! Is it just me or are they exactly the same apart from the different logo? I wouldn't mind getting that one for €20 though, I must contact them. Do you know if postage is included in that price or if they would even be willing to post it down the country (and if so how much)? Also, you don't know if they have the full range of sizes available as I am at one extreme of the size chart! :o I suppose that is a question for the guys themselves, I will wait until I hear back from them and let you know how I get on. Thanks

Anyone got any experience of the PBK one seeing as it is winning the poll so far?

For comparison:

2008_Fox_Racing_MX_Fluid_Jacket_Clear.jpg
    sombrio_09_tarp_jkt.jpg
    fox_07_fluidrain.jpg

EDIT: More pictures....the Fox Fluid gets some pretty good reviews. Here are some more pictures from this guys review!

fox_rain_jacket3.jpg
    fox_rain_jacket.jpg
    fox_rain_jacket2.jpg
    102274.jpg
    fxliq.jpg
    fxliq1.jpg

I've been looking for the same, and have ordered PBK ones (one gilet in size M and one jacket in size S) as they seem reasonably priced.

My (non-transparent blue) Zoot one has a front zip pocket into which the jacket folds, which is handy for training/sportives but presumably doesn't make much sense for racing. I can't really see myself doing much "no-hands" clothing whilst clinging on for grim death to the back of the bunch.

Sizing is always awkward, but I went smaller for the jacket as they have a tendency to flap around on descents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Beasty wrote: »
    Worth it though (if you can afford it!)
    I like the Climajet jacket so much, I've bought a spare:)
    A bit cheaper (£137) at Slane (most of the Assos stuff is cheaper there at present)

A little cheaper again from Ribble Cycles at £133 at the moment, although you'll have to add delivery (between £4 and £11.50, based on weight) to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭BikePure

I've been looking for the same, and have ordered PBK ones (one gilet in size M and one jacket in size S) as they seem reasonably priced.

Will you please let me know what you think of this jacket when you receive it. I would be interested to see how the small fits you also, what height are you? (When did you order them, do you think you will get it soon or will I just fire away and order my own one?)

I haven't heard back from OC Tuning on the Irish DH forum or email re the Fox jackets! :(

Just 2 votes in the poll so far? Probably a bad day to post this as it probably got missed due to all the action over in "Tedious bickering"...not to worry! ;)

BikePure wrote: »
    Will you please let me know what you think of this jacket when you receive it. I would be interested to see how the small fits you also, what height are you? (When did you order them, do you think you will get it soon or will I just fire away and order my own one?)

Ordered today. I'm probably a smidge under 6ft, 70kgs, long torso. M stuff is usually too wide, S is usually too short. They have a size guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Beware also he tends to go for the ladies section first!

Advertisement