Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will i be accepted??

Options
  • 12-01-2010 4:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Everyone,
    Just have a query on being accepted for masters courses...(have applied for a few)
    Im currently finishing my level 8 business degree and with having to repeat 1 in August already from the first sem isnt looking too great. I hope to finish with a 55% average second class honours. My question is with not having my results until september because of having to repeat one...does that mean I wont be concidered for any of the courses i have applied for as they all start in september.

Do any of you know when they offer these courses, i have applied to cork and limerick.

Thanks in advance
    Nicole x:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

They might provisionally accept you dependent on the result, you should e-mail the program office though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dreamer10

yeah i hope so because i dont want to take a year out.....I have contacted them and they just keep saying it depends on the amount applying which means nothing to me. Anyone past situation as me maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dahamster

Dreamer10 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Just have a query on being accepted for masters courses...(have applied for a few)
    Im currently finishing my level 8 business degree and with having to repeat 1 in August already from the first sem isnt looking too great. I hope to finish with a 55% average second class honours. My question is with not having my results until september because of having to repeat one...does that mean I wont be concidered for any of the courses i have applied for as they all start in september.

Do any of you know when they offer these courses, i have applied to cork and limerick.

Thanks in advance
    Nicole x:)

If you have already failed a module and need to repeat it surely the most you can get is a pass in your degree:confused:

dahamster wrote: »
    If you have already failed a module and need to repeat it surely the most you can get is a pass in your degree:confused:

No that has now changed with semesterisation, if you fail a module...its capped at 40 regardless of what you get in the repeat, but it doesnt affect your degree so if thats the only one i fail i can still manage to get a 2H1 which I wont but hope to get at least 2:2.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

Most masters have different entry requirements, your best bet is to email the course directors directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Many masters say they require a 2:1 but this isn't set in stone.
    As has been said, best bet is to email individual courses that interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Was in a not dissimilar position last year. Was made a conditional offer dependant upon completing another course before enrolement. In practice, they might let you start unofficially, then once your result is through, let you register / enroll. Its at their discretion, but happens a lot. Unis have a cut off date of late October before which they have to finalise their student numbers to the dept of education, which in turn determines their funding, or part of it.
    Make friends with the course director, be honest about you situation and if they want you on their course, more than likely you'll get a conditional offer. If your resit results are through before your masters starts, you'll have no problem with registering, as its at this point when they want to see proof you've met their offer. You're just a number to admissions....I'd let yr course director run interference with them on your behalf. This happens all the time.

Max001 wrote: »
    Was in a not dissimilar position last year. Was made a conditional offer dependant upon completing another course before enrolement. In practice, they might let you start unofficially, then once your result is through, let you register / enroll. Its at their discretion, but happens a lot. Unis have a cut off date of late October before which they have to finalise their student numbers to the dept of education, which in turn determines their funding, or part of it.
    Make friends with the course director, be honest about you situation and if they want you on their course, more than likely you'll get a conditional offer. If your resit results are through before your masters starts, you'll have no problem with registering, as its at this point when they want to see proof you've met their offer. You're just a number to admissions....I'd let yr course director run interference with them on your behalf. This happens all the time.

Thanks a mil for that....did that and the course director said he had put me on a list so he will be on the lookout for my application sound....

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Good luck & glad to be of help :)

Advertisement