Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ayers Rock in February

Options
  • 12-01-2010 5:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi guys,

I’m heading to Alice Springs/Ayers Rock on 10th February. I realise this is not exactly the best time for it but it’s the only time I have. Just wondering what the weather will be like then? Also will there be lots of flies? If so, what’s the best deterrent for them as the flies over here seem extremely persistent and in your face!

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

There are almost as many products/methods of dealin with flies as there are flies ;)

Just heard that they will be stoppong the climb in a few years so get in now whilst tis still an option.

And most important its not Alice/Uluru

a more accurate way to write it would be
    Alice_Springs
    Uluru

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Just heard that they will be stoppong the climb in a few years

Proper order. I can't understand why people still desire to climb it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Proper order. I can't understand why people still desire to climb it.

it's a massive rock in the middle of a vast flat land, that is climbable.

I can't understand why people wouldn't want to climb it!

Exactly, twas one of the only really 'Touristy' things I had on my To Do list when I got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Exactly, twas one of the only really 'Touristy' things I had on my To Do list when I got here.

How competent do you need to be to climb it?
    Do it cost much to get there from within Oz?

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Maybe 'would' was the wrong word to use. I meant, I don't understand why people continue to climb it against the wishes of the Aboriginal people. Furthermore they are actually destroying the 'rock' by walking on it and (probably) p*****g on it when they're up there. Total ignorance.

they are actually destroying the 'rock' by walking on it

I can understand that the aboriginals believe they have a spiritual connection with it (because it's their land), but they didn't build it. It's rock, it's part of the land, and has been long before aboriginals arrived. It's not like Newgrange, which would be destroyed if people were allowed to climb on it. There's probably more damage to Croagh Patrick every year than there is to Uluru. At least Uluru is all solid rock!

Irresponsible pissing or littering is disrespectful no matter where you are.

I can understand that the aboriginals believe they have a spiritual connection with it (because it's their land), but they didn't build it. It's rock, it's part of the land, and has been long before aboriginals arrived. It's not like Newgrange, which would be destroyed if people were allowed to climb on it. There's probably more damage to Croagh Patrick every year than there is to Uluru. At least Uluru is all solid rock!

Irresponsible pissing or littering is disrespectful no matter where you are.

Uluru isn't actually solid rock, rather it's made of sandstone and whilst it has a tougher surface than you've expect, it's still vulnerable to erosion from walking and defecating. Plus there are no toilets up there, so whenever people leave things up there, it goes into the waterholes around the rock.

Uluru isn't actually solid rock, rather it's made of sandstone
    Solid compared to scree I was thinking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 solas geal

Hi,

No I don't intend to climb it. If they ask you not to I'd prefer to respect that.
    Anybody know what the weather is like in February then? I know there are lots of fly products but I'm wondering what the most effective to keep them out of your face would be?

• Advertisement

Honestly, the most effective way would be to use a head net;

I've never used them, but the bushman repellents are supposed to be good too.

How competent do you need to be to climb it?
    Do it cost much to get there from within Oz?

Well its not quite Scaling everest, but tis a fair hike at the same time, will take a few hours to get to the top.

Fvck the naysayers, do you want to climb it, then climb it before the wishywashy's ban it.

Oh and this is the most important bit

if you are flying there, Book your flights to
    ''Yullaru" its the tourist camp near the rock, Alice is SEVERAL hours from Uluru

Fvck the naysayers, do you want to climb it, then climb it before the wishywashy's ban it.

How very hedonistic of you.

Well yeah, I'm not gonna make altruistic pretentions to enforce my POV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

sorry to bump this thread but I am also going to be visiting Ayers Rock in February. I am going to oz for 3 weeks and will be taking in the Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney. We will also be flying to Alice Springs for a night and hten driving to Ayers Rock where we plan to stay 3 days/2 nights. I was wondering if there was places like caravan parks or camping areas where you could hire out a tent or caravan and stay. Or maybe a 2 day guided tour thing where you get to experience Uluru at sunset?

I can only find the Ayers Rock resort and that is pretty expensive (around €160 per person per night.)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 solas geal

Hi,

Not sure if you're "against" organised tours but The Rock tour company do three day two night camping trip for $320 all in. That's what we're gonna do. It's swag camping but that seems to be what all the tours do anyway - camping under the stars! You should get sunrise/sunset or there are lots of other tours that do it too. I'm just hoping the weather will be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Did the 3 day/2 night tour with The Rock company a few weeks ago.

First night you sleep in the middle of no where, second night you are in the Ayers Rock camp site. Both night are outside in swags. You'll probably wake up the first night covered in ants, but they don't bite!

First day you go to Kings Canyon, second day you go to the Olgas, and on to Uluru. You go on short walk/talk around Uluru, before heading to the sunset viewing area, for sunset! You have dinner here rather than back at camp.

Next morning they bring you back to the sunset viewing area, for sunrise. Everyone else is at the sunrise area so you have the whole place to yourself. And because you are at the sunset area, you have the sun rising behind the rock, creating a silhouette.

Then it's back to Uluru for the full base walk. We had been 'advised' not to do the climb the day before, but we were allowed if we wanted to. One or two of the group told the guide they might want to do it, but by the time we got there, the climb was closed (8AM).

There were two buses the days we did it. Guides were little Sam and big Sam. Our bus seemed to have a better time with little Sam.

By the way, I'd try and arrange it to spend as little time as possible in Alice Springs. There is nothing to do there bar swat away all the flies. Head to the reptile centre if you want to hold a big python, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks for the replies. The Rock Company tour sounds pretty good. I will have to check it out on the web.

Advertisement