Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handloading in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 12-01-2010 5:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity guys, and without poking the hornets' nest, does anyone know the process for reloading in the north, what certification is required, storage requirements and the like? I have a second home there, and I would be interested in using it as a base for loading and testing ammunition. I'm going to look into the possibility of licensing my firearms there as well, as I believe I may be entitled to citizenship. This all needs to be seen, but just wondering for the time being what the requirements are for a licensed shooter to reload there. Is it like England where there are no requirements for certification and such or is there more bureaucracy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

A form needs to be put in to the PSNI for primers and powder which is free and takes 10 days or so. Powder is kept in a locked wooden cupboard in my house. The reloading tools aren't restricted in any way but you may have to show your permit when buying bullets depending on where you shop. Unlike England there is no difference between full metal jacket and expanding bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Liam_D wrote: »
    A form needs to be put in to the PSNI for primers and powder which is free and takes 10 days or so. Powder is kept in a locked wooden cupboard in my house. The reloading tools aren't restricted in any way but you may have to show your permit when buying bullets depending on where you shop. Unlike England there is no difference between full metal jacket and expanding bullets.

Great. Are there any requirements for storage to be examined and the like? I don't mind if there are, just would need to schedule time to be up there for them.

They ask on the form where it will be kept and it isn't a good idea to store it in a steel cabinet so locked in a cupboard is fine and they didn't ask to check my storage. I found the form online here powder is available in kilos or lb tubs vitavouri (about £80) comes in kilos and hodgdon (about £35) comes in pound tubs so ask for 2kg of powder and 1000 primers to start with, that should keep you going for a while. Primers are about £30/1000. Happy reloading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Liam_D wrote: »
    They ask on the form where it will be kept and it isn't a good idea to store it in a steel cabinet so locked in a cupboard is fine and they didn't ask to check my storage. I found the form online here powder is available in kilos or lb tubs vitavouri (about £80) comes in kilos and hodgdon (about £35) comes in pound tubs so ask for 2kg of powder and 1000 primers to start with, that should keep you going for a while. Primers are about £30/1000. Happy reloading :)

Cheers. :) I don't suppose you know what the story is with regard to getting the permission as a non-resident? My family is from there, we do have a home there and there'll be somebody there a lot of the time, but I'm still resident in the south. Seems to be possible to get a decent beginning reloading rig for reasonable money too, so this could be a good opportunity.

You'll have to enquire about that one but everything I said above was an example of my experience being a resident and certificate holder in the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

To have a northern FAC you must be resident in the north. Not sure about the explosives license, but I imagine a reloaded round is then classed as ammunition, for which you'd need a FAC.

I do stand to be corrected though! :D

Thats sounds like that bubble is burst but the only way to be sure would be to speak with an experienced firearms officer, (not the civil servants in Belfast) only then will you know for sure. I son't know what way it works for members of our club who are from the south but i'm sure its the same as if I wanted to use any of my guns in the south I would need to apply for some sort of visitors permit.

Advertisement