Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spuds - how early can you grow them?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 7:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Roll on spring

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I got early ones in end of Feb last year , they still didn't poke their heads above groung until mid April

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Traditionally potatoes were planted on Good Friday in Ireland. Before this they have to be chitted, placed in a light place like a windowledge for the little buds of growth to start - not the long spindly things you get if you leave them in a bag too long, but the same idea.
    Since Easter is a very moveable feast, planting potatoes obviously isn't an exact science, but if you wait until all the serious frost has gone and the ground has begun to warm a bit you should be ok, around early April maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

When I was younger I would always help my dad plant spuds around St. Patricks day. They always seem to do well. Of course it was a real sandy soil so that may also have helped.
    Was going to try again this year in my own garden, so will probably go with 17th March.

Advertisement