Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC windows leaving in wind

• 12-01-2010 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have PVC windows in my house and they are useless. They leave in wind and the window area is always freezing. I was going to seal around the window frame with silicon or caulking and then get some kind of gasket to seal around the window openings.

Does anybody have any recommendations or advice on this? Please do not say replace the windows cause that is not in the budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

this stuff any good to you... allow an extra 300% for irish prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Gonna pick some up for my windows and the front door.... absolute pile of ****e they are... cheapest ****tiest "double" glazing I have ever seen.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iepaul

I bought some of this, it does start getting expensive if you are doing all the windows but the big problem is you stick it to your window and are a few weeks it starts come away from the window again. I am not sure how long with will last anyway as it is only foam.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If you,ve got pvc windows and doors, you dont need any additional sealing strips. What you probably need are some new gasket strips.

When pvc window and door gaskets are installed in the factory, not enough gasket is always installed to allow for shrinkage due to sun. If they were cut to fit perfect size in the factory, they may be too short after time. They need to be cut oversize.

If you find any of your gaskets too short, buy a roll, or get some fro a pvc manufacturer, and either re install a new comtinual piece, or squeeze in an additional length.

You dont need to buy new windows:)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 43 minnieq

We had problems with all our front windows last year. We had gaps where the windows closed leaving a draft that would knock ya. We changed the hinges on all windows and the problem was solved.

Not saying this is what is wrong with yours but it solved our problem. Plus our windows are 13 -14 yrs old. If your windows are newish ring the company and see if they can help u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was sick of the same issue and a simple length of electrical tape (black and white) and there is a huge difference.

What I would love to find is some replacement gaskets that are thicker than the standard ones, the current ones are just not being compressed enough/at all to allow for non-perfect windows.

You can get replacement bubble gaskets of any size. Insulation tape is not required.

http://www.reddiplex.com/products/glazing/bubble-gaskets

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nb1967

I had a problem a while back with a lot of wind coming through a PVC window. The problem wasn't the frame or the rubber sealing ring it was the window itself that wasn't closing properly against the frame. I got some new, bigger window wedges on ebay for a fiver and it made a huge difference - problem is now gone.

I had a thread here at the time so you can search for my username for more details if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kadman wrote: »
    You can get replacement bubble gaskets of any size. Insulation tape is not required.

http://www.reddiplex.com/products/glazing/bubble-gaskets

kadman

Nice.
    Any ideas on the insert size that my Senator windows "friends" use?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Nice.
    Any ideas on the insert size that my Senator windows "friends" use?

Not offhand, try contacting them and ask. I cant see that being a problem.
    Round bubble gaskets come in lots of different sizes, so you will definitely get what you need.

Contact the gasket suppliers and ask them for sample sets of bubble gaskets, and I,m sure that they will oblige, after all they are looking for sales.

kadman

• Advertisement
Advertisement