Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on changing our fashion website

Options
  • 12-01-2010 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am currently working on creating a new website for my hubbys suit company.The current site is a catalogue website.You can see it at www.tom-murphy.ie. We would love feedback on what you think of it as we will be keeping some of the better parts of that site.We are working with a web designer to creat a full e commerce website where suits,shirts etc may be purchased.Any feedback would be appreciated which would help us to take our new site to the next level

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You link is wrong there! :) remove the .WE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The link is still wrong! I'm not too sure about the pink background, but that's subjective. I really don't like how the pictures of the top two suits link to PDFs. I absolutely hate having to read a PDF on the web unless I have to. I would expect that clicking on a suit would go to a product detail page with more pictures. The bottom ones don't like to anywhere, so there's a bit of inconsistency.

When you click into menswear, there's a small menu at the top and a picture that doesn't really do anything. How about you put the category links in the page itself with a sample picture of each one?

The slide show is nice when you click into the categories, but the information is too far down the page. I didn't realise there was text underneath the slideshow the first time I went into the page. I think this is a common theme throughout the site.

The "brands" page just links to their respective websites. I expected it to display a list of products on your site from that brand.

Overall though, I think it has the potential to be a very smart site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fixed the link in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gracy

Thanks a mill
    The pink bacground is going from home page and e comm part of site.I was thinking silver text and white background.The suit hire part of site might still keep a coloured background because we want the user to know it is completly different part of site.What colour might work?
    The pdf links are going off home page.I might keep them on suit hire section as these customers will be physically coming into store and do tend to bring in the vouchers they print off.The pdf vouchers are no longer needed for our e commerce customer as they can now buy online wwhen site is up.I take the point about inconsistency.I will take out the two big slideshows at bottom and repace them with 3 featured product and a description of our business based on keywords.
    The info and text is lost.I am bringing it up page so people can see it
    The brands will now feature in a search function on home page and be linked to products page
    Any help appreciated.By the way what do ye think of the idea of trying to sell suitys online.Some people say it will never work

Any help appreciated.By the way what do ye think of the idea of trying to sell suitys online.

Tough one - if your return policy allows people to swap an item easily (e.g. the trousers need to be a size larger) then it might be a runner. Maybe blokes with a typical physique might go for it instead of having the curse of going shopping. Personally I find it hard to buy anything but sweaters in the right size online.

Definitely keep the voucher links, just make it obvious it's a link to a PDF that needs to be printed out. At the moment - despite the pop-up when you hover over the image - you'd expect that it's a link to more information.

• Advertisement

I will hang onto the pdf vouchers for customersa that will be physically coming into store.I think ur right that we need to make it more clear that these vouchers are for printing off.Has anyone got any sites to reccomend that have nice design for fashion e commerce
    On the subject of selling suits online i believe it is going to be tough.However a huge amount of engish sites do it.I need to think more about how to persuade people to purchase online.Free delivery is one definite.Also returns within a time period with full refund.That is standard.I might offer free tailoring or something as well if the suit trousers did not fit etc.

Has anyone got any sites to reccomend that have nice design for fashion e commerce

If you're looking to integrate a shopping cart with your existing domain, then I think you're most likely looking at hiring someone to at least design a bespoke template for a shopping cart. Depending on your requirements, you may even need the shopping cart software itself modified. I don't know if you'll much anything that will suit your needs off the rack (excuse the pun) from a website.

I have a guy who is designing a shopping bag system and you are right.He is modifying it because it nneds bespoke features like cross selling,wishlists etc.Also the key to success will be the consumers experience when clicking to examine a product.We have found a system for examining the product in minute detail which is very reasonable.Unlike some of the less impressive product zoom systems,it doesnt take the user off the page.It will cost a fair amount but is still a lot cheaper than quotes i got from uk

Thanks everybody for the feedback.Having read other posts and seeing people say magneto and realex are good options for an e commerce site i know we are going inthe right direction.I think 6 or 7 k is a good price for settin up full e commerce website.When we have some of the site developed we might put a trial version up so people can give opnions before it goes live

Advertisement