Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect Conditions for serious snow

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Ever since the threat of snow was coming a friend of mine directed me here to find out exactly what was going to happen and unfortunately i am now addicted.

Im very much new to all this but i was just wondering what are the perfect conditions for a serious snowfall, something like 1982 and 63. Is it having a cold front coming from NE Europe meeting with a high front from the Atlantic etc etc.

I read somewhere yesterday someone said we came close this time around to the conditions perfect for serious snow so just wondering from the experts what are those conditions perfect for serious snow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I'm not an expert, but it varies depending on geographical location. What's perfect for the East won't be good for the North West. For example, Jan 1982 affected the East much more than the rest of the country.

A couple of miles can make all the difference. During the recent snow in the East, my location in Nth. Co. Dublin had no more than 1 - 2cm on the ground at any stage, where my friend who lives in Marino a few miles south (and closer to the sea) measured 10cms in his back garden.

In terms of widespread snow, a polar low is your man, I believe:
    http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_low

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well instead of going into geographics , what would be the perfect conditions for serious snow everywhere in Ireland . Polar lows only last a day or so.

Advertisement