Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batton down your large dishes!

• 12-01-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Very windy out there this morning (Especially in the west). Wind is coming from a strange direction (SE/E), My dish that is usually sheltered from the wind is getting it big time.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

lol too fricking late! :) Mine took flight and is now a bathing pool for the birds!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I just moved the dish to 30W but it may be too late.It took a hammering last night but thats par for the course .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have tonsillitis and a fever that is not amusing me, it can blow away for all I care! It is in a sheltered position though and has survived everything the last 5 years has thrown at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

Mine been fine so far, great when you use a scaffolding pole as it really grips it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭twig

Mine is still on the roof but no signal on any of the channels. It took a right battering last night, the wind was ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Saw this thread a day too late. Great early prediction. I noticed the wind was coming in a strange direction that night. Then the following day, the dish had been blown from 29 to 40 degree elevation angle. The wind had literally whipped up the dish 11 degrees. It's a Triax 88cm with multi feed. It stayed on the mount and I just managed to re-align it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Apologies for dragging up old thread but i have 90cm on east facing wall, where is best to park the dish? Is the fact that wind direction will change as storm passes mean that best thing is to just hope for the best ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Keep us posted on how it all turns out. :-)

Greenman wrote: »
    Keep us posted on how it all turns out. :-)

It survived Darwin but that was westerly so sheltered by house, fingers crossed.

The dish has survived to tell the tale, we seem to have missed the worst today, further east in cork took the brunt it looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Motorised TD110 attached to the concrete shed via a pole and T&K bracket that sits the dish just above the shed fine. Thought that would definitely take flight.

Stationary TD88 on the other hand practically reefed from the wall. Now rehoused on side of house in the dark. Night time tweaking by sight, first time, get in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I was worried my dish would come off the wall and fall 25ft to the ground. In the end I wouldn't have even noticed anything unusual weather-wise had nobody been talking about a storm. :o

We got off lucky over here.

Advertisement