Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are my rights?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi Bought affordable house little less than a year ago.

my boiler is broken and emmursion has not worked since we started to try use it.

the council say i have only 6 months and then im on my own to fix it?

is this true?

hope you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Afraid your like every other person who buys a house, its your responsibility. Most people don't get a 6 month grace period and have to have all surveys done before finalising the sale. If its a new house homebond should cover structural defects but not boilers.

Where as if you were renting from the council I'm sure they would be liable for repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

If it's less than a year old. You can go back to the installer/builder. Goods have to be fit for purpose. A boiler that breaks down within a year is not. Find who you need to pursue then contact the small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It will be covered by some guarantee you just need to find the correct person to come have a look. It is likely some minor issue in such a new boiler. A new condensing boiler we had stopped working as the drain pipe froze. A minor block would have had the same effect. The plumber had it fixed in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check your purchase contract for the patent defects liability period. This is the period where the builder/developer/vendor has to repair visible / obvious defects. Typically it is 1-2 years.

The latent defects liability period deals with hidden defects and is usually 6-12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Victor wrote: »
    Check your purchase contract for the patent defects liability period. This is the period where the builder/developer/vendor has to repair visible / obvious defects. Typically it is 1-2 years.

The latent defects liability period deals with hidden defects and is usually 6-12 years.

would my solicitor have this contact as i dont think i have it

• Advertisement
Advertisement