Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACER Warranty

Options
  • 12-01-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Has anybody had any dealings with "Acer Warranty"?....it must be the worst in the world!!!

purchased a new desktop pc on 16th December, began setting it up on the 18th, it powered on once, then wouldn't power on again. Logged a call with Acer on the 18th, machine was collected on the 23rd, and delivered to AE Technology on the 24th. Despite phoning every 2nd day for an update, and being told the it is "in progress", I am none the wiser, except that I have been told the it is going to be replaced as a DOA, possibly within the next 5 working days!!!!!!

I will never, ever, buy an Acer machine again!!!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Has anybody had any dealings with "Acer Warranty"?....it must be the worst in the world!!!

purchased a new desktop pc on 16th December, began setting it up on the 18th, it powered on once, then wouldn't power on again. Logged a call with Acer on the 18th, machine was collected on the 23rd, and delivered to AE Technology on the 24th. Despite phoning every 2nd day for an update, and being told the it is "in progress", I am none the wiser, except that I have been told the it is going to be replaced as a DOA, possibly within the next 5 working days!!!!!!

I will never, ever, buy an Acer machine again!!!!:mad:
    I had no promblems with them before, and my i had dealing with them twice last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Possibly you were just unlucky because of the christmas break and then the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Where'd you buy it from? I'd be bringing it straight back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved to Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Where'd you buy it from? I'd be bringing it straight back to them.

Quite interested to know this myself. Considering the desktop was so new, a retailer should just swap it around for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Acer are quite strict on DOAs with retailers. usualy 14 days, very odd though, that a machine 2 days old would be exchanged for a new one..unless it was physical damage of course

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Acer are quite strict on DOAs with retailers. usualy 14 days, very odd though, that a machine 2 days old would be exchanged for a new one..unless it was physical damage of course

No not at all. If a machine is faulty it will generally be exchanged with 14-28 days depending on wgich retailer you buy from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Antigone is right, Acer are horrible to deal with. When faulty machine is returned to retailer for repair, it takes 6 days for all the relevant paperwork to be done and Acer to pick it up. So if you drop a machine to retailer on a friday for repair, bearing in mind they are closed for weekends, it is nearly two weeks before it is taken for repair.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    Antigone is right, Acer are horrible to deal with. When faulty machine is returned to retailer for repair, it takes 6 days for all the relevant paperwork to be done and Acer to pick it up. So if you drop a machine to retailer on a friday for repair, bearing in mind they are closed for weekends, it is nearly two weeks before it is taken for repair.

The computer was only a couple of days old. Why would you send it for repair when a retailer will offer you an exchange instead???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    The computer was only a couple of days old. Why would you send it for repair when a retailer will offer you an exchange instead???:confused:

Unfortunately, it was purchased directly from a distributor.

Latest update from the distributor is a suggestion that I purchase another PC from them, and when the DOE is replaced, I should send it back, unopened, to them for a refund. Apparently the PC has a faulty front panel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rachel25

I would never trust anything any one from Acer says to you. I sent my lap top to be repaired on the 4th December and it was repaired and sent back to me on the 8th. I still have not received it and i have made at least 11 calls to their customer service and 2 emails. With regards the calls their customer service is a disgrace they have told me they are 'escalating the problem' every time i call and will not give me a straight answer as to where it is. Still waiting on a reply on the emails

I will Never buy Acer again and i will definetly not be recommending the product to any one. At the moment i dont think i will ever see my laptop again, and i am very annoyed with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Unfortunately, it was purchased directly from a distributor.

If the distributer was in Ireland then your rights are the same as buying from a shop. I don't know what your rights are if the company is outside of Ireland. Its not much help to you now but handy to know for future ref.

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_deliveries.html

If the distributer was in Ireland then your rights are the same as buying from a shop. I don't know what your rights are if the company is outside of Ireland. Its not much help to you now but handy to know for future ref.

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_deliveries.html

I must check that out, afaik, you do not have the same rights when purchasing from a distributor, as they, in theory, are not dealing with the end-user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I must check that out, afaik, you do not have the same rights when purchasing from a distributor, as they, in theory, are not dealing with the end-user
    if you bought the laptop as part of your business then you do not have the same statutory rights as an ordinary consumer and as you bought from a distributor this may well be the case.

Rachel25 wrote: »
    I would never trust anything any one from Acer says to you. I sent my lap top to be repaired on the 4th December and it was repaired and sent back to me on the 8th. I still have not received it and i have made at least 11 calls to their customer service and 2 emails. With regards the calls their customer service is a disgrace they have told me they are 'escalating the problem' every time i call and will not give me a straight answer as to where it is. Still waiting on a reply on the emails

I will Never buy Acer again and i will definetly not be recommending the product to any one. At the moment i dont think i will ever see my laptop again, and i am very annoyed with them.

If they say they have sent it to you. Ask them for a tracking number so you can see where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I will never be buying an Acer again either.

I have an extremely faulty aspire laptop that cost me €1100, and has never worked properly. A completely faulty video card/screen is the main prob. It is currently in with AE for repair, having failed 3 weeks after being returned from a first time month-long stay with AE back in November.

AE won't field calls regarding Acer warranty jobs; that's up to Acer themselves, and they are dismal at it. I don't even know where I am going to stand regarding repair warranty if it fails again. My actual product warranty expires next month, so I could be left in the shit when it invariably fails again in the next couple of months.

Anyone know if your warranty is extended following repairs?

latest update:

Having phoned them on 12th Jan, I was told that a replacement machine was authorised on 8th Jan and could expect delivery within 5 working days.

I phoned again today, and was told that it is in progress and no further update is available.

I then spoke to the supervisor, who told me that, as it takes 24 hours to obtain an update, to phone again tomorrow, and he will have an update for me.

I say it again, never, ever buy an Acer!!!!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    if you bought the laptop as part of your business then you do not have the same statutory rights as an ordinary consumer and as you bought from a distributor this may well be the case.

This is my understanding also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I had originally suggested it could of been the bad weather but this is taking the piss!

Phpned the supervisor today as arranged, he now tells me that the warranty repair company have authorised a replacement machine!! That's "authorised", not arranged!! I knew that over 2 weeks ago. Apparently the warranty repair company are AE Technology, up north somewhere, but the replacement will have to come from the UK.

That's all he knows, but will try to get a delivery date and phone me........I won't hold my breath!!!!

• Advertisement

Latest update from today, is we can expect a replacement machine within the next 10 - 15 working days

Let this be a warning to all of us - don't buy ACER!!!

the saga continues................

I have now been told that since a comparable replacement machine is not available, they will refund me instead (this is after being told on 2 occasions that a replacement machine had been shipped!!!)

So I have since emailed all the information, purchase invoice, etc to them.

I then receive a letter requesting all the information which I have already sent!!!

hopefully, it will be sorted soon, but I won't hold my breath!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

At least you can buy a better spec and brand. Hopefully the refund won't take too long

My saga is still ongoing aswell. My (very expensive, but extremely faulty) Aspire laptop is back with Acer/A&E in Banbridge for the third time, having been away from me for over 2 months in total, and being returned broken last week after a month's absence.

This company is an absolute joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

After reading the above, I will stay well away from Acer and encourage others to do the same. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

OP hope you got sorted in the end.

+ 1 they suck though.... took three months for tv to return unrepaired only to go away for a further month.

You can trace a repair here http://www.acerwarranty.co.uk/ if you have a tracking number. Not great though.

Other contacts are:

AE Technologies
    Unit 26 Scarva Road Industrial Estate
    Banbridge
    Northern Ireland
    BT32 3QD

Tel.: +44 (0)870 803 4915
    Tel: +44 (0)870 853 1000
    Email: euro_mail@acer-euro.com

Only a shipping agent to Telford UK though it seems. Not much use for info on ongoing repairs.

Calling this number finally got things moving:

Acer Ireland 1800 927221 (UK call center)

I'd never buy from Acer again though.

consultech wrote: »
    My saga is still ongoing aswell. My (very expensive, but extremely faulty) Aspire laptop is back with Acer/A&E in Banbridge for the third time, having been away from me for over 2 months in total, and being returned broken last week after a month's absence.

This company is an absolute joke.

Update:

WELL. After three times back for repair with A&E, a favour called in by my supplier's contact in Acer, and a threat of solicitor involvement on my part (whether he actually could've done anything or not) - I today received confirmation that my request for a replacement has been approved.

I finally felt vindicated; However the realisation that I would be receiving another Acer product soon set in.

A victory for the mean time at least...

Advertisement