Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish and primary teaching

• 12-01-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Am in something of a strange position regarding the Irish language so was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

Basically, I was educated by the EU. I spent a year in an Irish national school before moving to England for my dad's job where I went to primary school. I then spent my secondary cycle in the same school system over in Belgium.
    I did Irish for the entire duration of my schooling, and in secondary school I did it as my 2nd language (the highest possible level) for my European Baccalaureate, getting an A1 in my exams.
    I also spent every summer of secondary school in the Gael Thact. As such, my Irish is of a pretty high standard. Done everything from job interviews to

Problem is that I see Honours Irish is needed to be a primary school teacher. THe Leaving Cert and A levels are listed as acceptable but no mention is made of other schooling systems. Anyone know what the story is here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I believe you need to undertake an Irish course prior to primary school teaching. There is an exam at the end of it. The course typically involves spending time in the gaeltacht, and is typically a good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

In this case I would say that each college would review your qualifications and results on an individual basis to see whether they would accept them in lieu of the leaving cert.

Your best bet would be to send a mail to the course leaders or head lecturer of the courses you're interested in doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You should also try the Department of Education and Science. It's the department that sets the requirements for entry to the course.

Advertisement