Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNDOING A HARD DRIVE PARTITION

Options
  • 12-01-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I have bought a dell inspiron 6400 from a friend who just upgraded but have a slight problem.
    he was having trouble some time back and whoever fixed it created a partition on his drive,which is 80gb in total. trouble is he/she seems to have made drice c a bit too small and i keep getting messages telling me that i am running out of space on c.
    how do i restore the drive back to its original condition???
    also if i replace the drive for a bigger one can i install my version of xp onto the new one.
    any advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If you use something like partition manager you can set the partition however you want without damaging the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd always keep my files separately from the OS that way if windows goes belly up and I need to reformat the partition I don't lose any files.

You could be doing something like that too, your my documents folders is probably still on the C drive with the rest of windows, you can move this folder onto the other partition which would free up allot of room (assuming you've allot of files) just right click on my documents in the start menu and go to property's you'll see what to do from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Can't really "undo" it, but partition magic (commercial program) will let you merge (join) partitions. May be able to find a freeware partitioner that'll do the same... poke google for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Going on a slight tangent to this thread. I have an Inspiron 6400 and I wanted to upgrade the HDD, but I can't find any info on the largest drive it'll take. Emailed Dell twice and no word back. Any info would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Going on a slight tangent to this thread. I have an Inspiron 6400 and I wanted to upgrade the HDD, but I can't find any info on the largest drive it'll take. Emailed Dell twice and no word back. Any info would be appreciated.
    no real problem with size. as long as its a 3.5" HDD it'll work. i reckomend a samsung F1 1TB hdd. best value for money atm.

edit: and dont buy it from dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

The e6400 is a laptop and takes a 2.5" hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

However big you want as long as it's a sata 2.5" i imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

meepins wrote: »
    However big you want as long as it's a sata 2.5" i imagine
    Ah noob of me to assume it was a pc.

So 2.5" it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The only info I have, is that it has issues with anything over 120 gigs and I don't see the point upgrading for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement