Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Commerce Site Template & Hosting Recommendations

• 12-01-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey guys & gals,
    I did web design for a few years but have been out of the industry for a while now.

Boss in current job knew of my design past and asked me about doing up a website with a shopping cart. I know he's going to try and get me do this as my job in there (currently on 3 day week) so no way justifying designing something from scratch.

I was hoping someone here could recommend some decent hosting which provides some simple customizable templates with a shopping cart. As opposed to going down the whole Dreamweaver route from scratch.

Appreciate the help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The hosting and the templates are unrelated. First decide on the eCommerce software you want to use (e.g. Zen cart, OSCommerce etc) then look up free templates for that software and then just find a host that you can run it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Oh yeah I understand that Eoin. I meant in relation to a lot of hosting companies offer the option through the Cpanel etc

I was hoping some people here have used company x or y for similar projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hosting recommendations aren't allowed on this forum, but I'd say most hosts provide a package installer through the control panel.

But those packages might not be up to date, and all you're saving yourself is the time it takes to FTP up the files. It also depends on the package itself. OSCommerce doesn't have a theme system so you have to overwrite most, if not all, the PHP files. Zen cart does have themes, so you just FTP up a theme to a folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

magento is the best shopping cart

templatemonster do the best / cheapest website templates

hosting is hosting - you could probably share the hosting with the companies current site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Magento is your best bet. I'd recommend at least a minimum spec VPS (ideally Linux) for running it publicly though. You can get these for about €45 per month with a few different Irish hosting companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Magento is ideal for your needs and well supported - I would echo the VPS option - go for a cloud provider for the VPS too, so you can scale rapidly without downtime, and are not dependent on a single server like shared hosting, you can get excellent specs from as little as 20 euro per month from Irish providers...

Advertisement