Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automated parking fines via CCTV to force UK drivers to obey

• 12-01-2010 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

An increasing number of councils accross the UK are using CCTV to record parking rule infringements, with automated fine notices then sent to the vehicle's owner.

We have all heard the same story with automated summonses issued by the Westlink toll plaza. :rolleyes:

A problem with this system is that you don't get a ticket on your windscreen so you will not know for some time before you get the violation.

These cameras are posted over yellow or red lines, in bus zones, on zig zags or in a restricted bay. They cannot destinguish if a driver has pulled over to look at a map, or a disabled driver.

These cameras also have the advantage over a parking warden in that they can take any amount of abuse. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242513/CCTV-cameras-collecting-3million-year-ghost-parking-tickets.html#ixzz0cUTODQmR

The subject also appeared in the Tiimes last year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Buy shares while you can!

SprayOnMud.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

These cameras also have the advantage over a parking warden in that they can take any amount of abuse. :D

I don't think so.

fievfifiexfo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...Ha! I don't think so !/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

These cameras also have the advantage over a parking warden in that they can take any amount of VERBAL abuse. :D

Edited :)

1000-gatso-robocop-speed-cameras-burned.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Interesting, I'll remember that - when I'm in the UK!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

They need loadsa these in Ireland, especially for the people who think it's ok to "stick on my hazards and park on double yellow lines"

They need loadsa these in Ireland, especially for the people who think it's ok to "stick on my hazards and park on double yellow lines"
    We already have clampers :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

So if you feel you don't deserve the ticket, then you won't be able to appeal. Doesn't sound right. Besides, CCTV quality is normally rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So if you feel you don't deserve the ticket, then you won't be able to appeal. Doesn't sound right. Besides, CCTV quality is normally rubbish.
    I would have thought appeals would be easier with cctv, as there would be more information in the system.

I got stung twice like this when I was living in the UK. The first was for parking on a street which had a sign "pay and display between 8am and 5pm" I took that to mean it was free after 5pm. A week later I received a fine, went back and looked at the sign and in very small writing it had "clearway from 5pm to 7pm".

The second was for "stopping" (for a few seconds) in a yellow box which was caused by the car in front of me refusing to drive through a gap inside a car turning right which id have driven a tractor and lowloader through, you could clearly see on the pic they sent that there was room for him and that id have easily cleared the junction had he been able to drive :mad:. If it was here or I had been living there longer id have appealed both but I was only there a short time and couldnt take the risk of having to pay an increased fine as money was tight.

• Advertisement

I got stung twice like this when I was living in the UK. The first was for parking on a street which had a sign "pay and display between 8am and 5pm" I took that to mean it was free after 5pm. A week later I received a fine, went back and looked at the sign and in very small writing it had "clearway from 5pm to 7pm".

The second was for "stopping" (for a few seconds) in a yellow box which was caused by the car in front of me refusing to drive through a gap inside a car turning right which id have driven a tractor and lowloader through, you could clearly see on the pic they sent that there was room for him and that id have easily cleared the junction had he been able to drive :mad:. If it was here or I had been living there longer id have appealed both but I was only there a short time and couldnt take the risk of having to pay an increased fine as money was tight.
    From the description you gave, i'd say your appeals would both have been turned down.;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    From the description you gave, i'd say your appeals would both have been turned down.;)

Id have been fairly confident on the parking one. I heard from one or two people who successfully appealed it on the grounds of misleading signage. it took a lot of work though and were more or less let of just to get rid of them. I probably would have got nowhere with the second,I think I still have the photo though anyone who saw it would agree the guy in front of me was a clown.

In the past yes, most traffic related CCTV's now have built in ANPR and are surprisingly accurate with many containing pan, tilt and zoom features.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I would have thought appeals would be easier with cctv, as there would be more information in the system.
    I used to live in the UK and I know a lot of people who upon returning to their car found parking tickets left. They therefore were immediately aware of the accusation and were able to take photos of anything that contradicted the ticket, dodgy signage, things like that. If you don't receive the ticket for a week or more, that option is no longer open to you. It's seems like a shortcut to due process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

In the past yes, most of traffic related CCTV's have built in ANPR and are surprisingly accurate with many containing pan, tilt and zoom features.

and?????
    surely this is better as it will help support your case when their is a dispute......

I used to live in the UK and I know a lot of people who upon returning to their car found parking tickets left. They therefore were immediately aware of the accusation and were able to take photos of anything that contradicted the ticket, dodgy signage, things like that. If you don't receive the ticket for a week or more, that option is no longer open to you. It's seems like a shortcut to due process.
    That's a fair point. Mind you, the Gardai already issue paperless tickets so it's not something that will change with CCTV. Speeding cameras are the same.

robtri wrote: »
    and?????
    surely this is better as it will help support your case when their is a dispute......
    Yes true but the accuracy of these cameras also raise privacy concerns. There was a number of incidents where Gatso camera images were depicting clear facial images of "unauthorized" passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Yes true but the accuracy of these cameras also raise privacy concerns. There was a number of incidents where Gatso camera images were depicting clear facial images of "unauthorized" passengers.
    Here we go. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy while driving on a public road.

"unauthorized" passengers.
    Sorry, what's an unauthorised passenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

We already have clampers :mad:

Yes and we need more, follow the rules and you won't get clamped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Sorry, what's an unauthorised passenger?

Not your spouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

These cameras are posted over yellow or red lines, in bus zones, on zig zags or in a restricted bay. They cannot destinguish if a driver has pulled over to look at a map, or a disabled driver.r.

Do disabled badges excuse you from the rules? Great must get one of those.

and why the rolleyes after teh bit about the westlink? Was it better to spend an hour queing to throw money in a bucket?

Advertisement