Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Rock Climbing In Cork

Options
  • 12-01-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I spend alot of time out on the mountains, and am keen to start doing a bit of rock climbing.

Can anyone give me any info on the climbing wall in the Mardyke Arena? I know its closed till Feb cos of flood damage so I'm hoping to start up when it reopens.

Like whats it like for a beginner there, what gear do they have available to borrow (harnesses, chalk, etc), do I have to get an instructor there before they let me loose on the place. I have loads of other questions but cant think of them, so anything you think is worth knowing would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I think its about 7-8e a visit, there was a boldering was, simple climb and bits with an overhang.

All the stuff you need to get started is there. You may need to invest in climbing shoes ans your own chalk.

You can bolder on your own without any course, for the wall over 8' there is a component climber course where they just see if you can put on a harness, tie in and belay. There is someone there most of the time if your looking for a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Hi, I haven't climbed there since they upgraded the wall. I hear it's a little tough for beginners, but pretty good. Go for it! The staff will show you the essential bits and pieces.

If you want to get started ASAP you could make a trip to Dingle to Play At Height Climbing Wall. It's big, suitable for all levels, has automatic belays - in case you don't have a belay partner, plus Cian and the other staff are very good. Their website, if you want it, is www.playatheight.com.

There's also a climbing wall in Middleton Secondary School, but don't know much about it.

Advertisement