Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 Bypass Easytrip Overcharging

• 12-01-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just thought I'd pass on a little warning to those of you using the new bridge with an Easypass/EToll/e-whatever tag ;)

Today I got my statement and saw that I've been charged €3.40 for some trips instead of €1.90. I always use the dedicated etag lane so this puzzled me and I called Easytrip to find out what had happened and to get a refund. I've had my easypass almost 5 years and this is the first time this has happened. So the agent came up with a theory as to the cause... I have a Landrover Discovery3, a 7 seat passenger version, so should obviously only pay the €1.90 rate. However she said that someone in one of the manned booths has the ability to manually increase the toll if they saw me going through and thought I actually had a commercial version. So i guess this warning especially applies to those driving jeeps, and I guess a lot of people don't even bother checking their statements. Business must be bad for the bridge if they're resorting to this kind of stuff :eek:

And the best bit then, even though they were clearly in the wrong, it will take "several weeks" (perhaps as little as 2) for me to get a refund. I know it's only a little amount of money but still, waiting weeks to give a refund seems very poor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bkehoe wrote: »
    waiting weeks to give a refund seems very poor.

That is standard with a lot of companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Interesting story that, wasn't aware that a jeep was charged on passenger/commercial use. As you said, a lot of companies wouldn't bother checking their statement. A passenger jeep can have black windows, is that commercial?:
    Motor Cars . . . . . . . . . . . €1.90
    Goods Vehicles with a design gross vehicle weight < 3,500 kilograms . . €3.40

Just out of curiosity, are Easytrip adhering to this bye-law?
    It resolved that the bye-laws include a toll discount scheme such that the toll operator shall provide a discount; of at least 10 per cent in respect of the prevailing toll charge for pre-payment for 20 journeys so as to cater for frequent users of the tolled facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

may I pass the bridge if I am registered with E-Flow(video account-read registration plates)??? ..not a tag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

bkehoe wrote: »
    Hi all, just thought I'd pass on a little warning to those of you using the new bridge with an Easypass/EToll/e-whatever tag ;)

Today I got my statement and saw that I've been charged €3.40 for some trips instead of €1.90. I always use the dedicated etag lane so this puzzled me and I called Easytrip to find out what had happened and to get a refund. I've had my easypass almost 5 years and this is the first time this has happened. So the agent came up with a theory as to the cause... I have a Landrover Discovery3, a 7 seat passenger version, so should obviously only pay the €1.90 rate. However she said that someone in one of the manned booths has the ability to manually increase the toll if they saw me going through and thought I actually had a commercial version. So i guess this warning especially applies to those driving jeeps, and I guess a lot of people don't even bother checking their statements. Business must be bad for the bridge if they're resorting to this kind of stuff :eek:

And the best bit then, even though they were clearly in the wrong, it will take "several weeks" (perhaps as little as 2) for me to get a refund. I know it's only a little amount of money but still, waiting weeks to give a refund seems very poor.

Same happened to me on the M50 a few months back and I drive a Ford Focus. This was after the automatic tolling came in so I'd say their story about someone manually increasing the toll charge for your jeep is BS! I noticed the extra charge on my statement and contacted etrip who reimbursed the difference to my tag account.
    may I pass the bridge if I am registered with E-Flow(video account-read registration plates)??? ..not a tag!

Don't think so as Eflow video account is only operational on the M50 afaik. The video account also includes a discount on the toll but as a poster above has pointed out even with a tag the full charge is incurred on the N25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

EVERY FEW MONTHS THEY SEND ME a request for payment with photo of say a truck or bus not even my reg.

crazy i read my reg to the guy/gal on the phone and they say sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i noticed wen i drove up to the coin only toll after a car it read my reg and said on screen 3.90 commercial! ! I drive a five door golf! ! Went to reverse and it changed back to euro ninthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Been checking again recently and I never got the refund promised in January, and since then, especially in May and June, roughly 40% of the time I go through I'm getting charged €3.40. I always use the express lane. After a rough tot up, I've established that I've been overcharged by almost 30 euro to date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I signed up during their special offer - Free Hotel vouchers - never received same - I have been onto them about three times about this and was always promised they will be in the post.

Is there an ombudsman, advertising standrads etc wher I can write and complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Bards wrote: »
    I signed up during their special offer - Free Hotel vouchers - never received same - I have been onto them about three times about this and was always promised they will be in the post.

Is there an ombudsman, advertising standrads etc wher I can write and complain
    yes go to www.asai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

tonc76 wrote: »
    Don't think so as Eflow video account is only operational on the M50 afaik. The video account also includes a discount on the toll but as a poster above has pointed out even with a tag the full charge is incurred on the N25.

eFlow works perfectly on the Waterford bypass and on all the other tolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Silverado wrote: »
    eFlow works perfectly on the Waterford bypass and on all the other tolls.

Not the video account he was talking about.

Advertisement