Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do stolen dogs go?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

last week the next row of houses from me, during the day was broken into, they put the new tv on that the family were after getting for xmas, made themselves a snack, never touched anything else but the kids pet, a little piekennese(sp). The family are gutted. They have posters everywhere nothing so far. Hope you find Bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It is also worth checking around some of the halting sites. Travellers often find stray dogs that are out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP it may be a long shot and a little expensive but you could give this guy a try http://www.happytailsdetective.com/index.php

Check his testimonials especially the one about Alex the stolen husky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Magenta wrote: »
    OP it may be a long shot and a little expensive but you could give this guy a try http://www.happytailsdetective.com/index.php

Check his testimonials especially the one about Alex the stolen husky.
    He did a great job finding that black & white moggie that escaped from the tarmac at Dublin Airport last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055307212&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Keep positive, just read the story about the pet detective and Tigger, anything is possible. Fingers crossed for you .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 flannry

Thank you all for the replies.

Husband is tough-ish looking so will get him to try the sites as an option - even to call her name before/after going in & see if there's any response.

We live next door to a National school and every kid was sent home with a flyer on their 1st day back at school - lots of upset children as a result, but no Bear.

A vet med rep friend of mine has alerted most vets in Munster - have been in contact with microchip company to send fax to all vet practices in the country to alert them to scan dogs looking like her that may come their way.

I have her details posted on 5 UK missing pet sites - including the one listed - great minds....

I spoke to the pet detective last week but he doesn't seem to be able to help with rural dogs (too many trails to follow) and has not been back in any further contact with me.

Will post on jumbletown straight away.

Please keep the ideas coming - they're all appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cutiepye

Pm'd you flannry

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Joined the facebook page so gonna spread the word.
    It may help if you could just tell us what province your in or maybe west, east, midlands etc. People might be a bit more alert in your area if they know the dog came from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

there is a big chance your dog will stay in ireland,last year i was talking to the RSPA about stolen dogs in the uk,i was told by them it was believed it was irish gang conection[tinkers ] who were stealing the pedigree breeds and selling them on in ireland,[people will buy them there without papers,] unless they are the fighting breeds the best chance of getting your dog back is if as you say its chipped ,and a vet scans it and asked questions,make sure the company who chipped your dog are informed that it has been stolen, sorry i cannot be of much help but a friend of mine had his top show dog [a staffy bitch]stolen from a dog show; it was found a year later walking around birmingham very well,but he believed it had been used for breeding by some show dog owner who passed the pups off as his own.

Tictactoe - we're in Tipperary

Getz - that is truly brilliant your friend got his dog back - and a staffie! Incredible that a year later they were reunited.

• Advertisement

OP I have just had an idea.
    Go onto Fido or whatever site his microchip is registered with, and write STOLEN on his file. For example for the address part have STOLEN PLEASE RETURN TO..... and then the address. Write it anywhere you can.
    That way if he is brought to a vet, even by someone who thinks they bought him legitimately, the vet will know straight away that he was stolen.

I go through Donedeal every day (I look at the puppy pictures!) and will keep an eye out for him. There's a LOT of adult pedigree/pedigree looking dogs in classified ads, I'm sure there can't be THAT many people selling their dogs because they are "emigrating".

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Get as much publicity as possible hope you find her try the halting sites aswell

Magenta - FANTASTIC idea - i've just done that now & plastered "STOLEN" on all her fido.ie details. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Hi, there is a dog on the dogs in distress website that looks like bear.
    Here is a link to it: http://dogsindistress.org/forum/view...php?f=7&t=4863

Hope I don't get your hopes up but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Best of luck in finding her.

beth-lou wrote: »
    Hi, there is a dog on the dogs in distress website that looks like bear.
    Here is a link to it: http://dogsindistress.org/forum/view...php?f=7&t=4863

Hope I don't get your hopes up but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Best of luck in finding her.

Here is the correct link (one above is incomplete)

http://dogsindistress.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4863

She does look like Bear and she has the long tail too which you wouldn't always expect in a Rottie x.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Magenta wrote: »
    Here is the correct link (one above is incomplete)

http://dogsindistress.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4863

She does look like Bear and she has the long tail too which you wouldn't always expect in a Rottie x.

My God, they are identical. The markings on her cheeks, eyebrows, forelegs, chest all seem to match. Fingers crossed! This would be a great happy ending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

is this Bear?? fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

On that link to DiD someone has posted about Bear, and there is the reply that its not her.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭almae

right i am throwing my pennys worth in here , that dog on dogs in distress and bear are identical.

If the dog on DID is bear ,Flannery just remember there will be weight loss , maybe scratches etc. I have been studying it the past hour even the pattern on her front legs is identical.

GO LOOK AT THE DOG IN DID , DONT take there word.

Has Flannery checked out the dog on DID???? I am dying to know if bear is found!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Has Flannery checked out the dog on DID???? I am dying to know if bear is found!

+1

fingers and everything else crossed!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Is the dog on DID not a pup? 6 months old? I think Bear is a full grown dog?

No update on the facebook page either.....
    I cant access the dogs in distress website to see the pic! Can someone post it so i can see!!

From DID:102278.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Don't think its the same dog. The dog in DID has much larger paws than Bear. Different shape face aswell.

I think the markings are identical. The dog may have lost weight, and it has its ears pricked up in the second pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

God they are seriously similar!! I see they've been in touch with Bear's owner, I presume they would know better than anyone so if they said it's not Bear it must not be. Shame, would have been such a great ending :(

Hope you still find Bear OP!

Am seriously disappointed...:(

Keep the eyes open everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nifty90210

flannry wrote: »
    Has anyone out there any insight into where all the dogs that are being stolen around the country are going to? Our 1.5yr Rottie x Lab bitch "Bear" is missing 2 weeks today & no sign of her at all - it's as if she vanished.

We have >600 people across the country looking for her through Facebook, but no joy.

It seems there is a gang travelling around the country taking dogs - question is what are they doing with them and how can I find my taken dog?

Any insights would be much appreciated as we're heartbroken, desparate to get her back & offering a generous reward but no-one has come forward yet.

Did you check out www.madra.ie

• Advertisement

Just checked out that site www.madra.ie..... its so upsetting to see such lovely dogs and all they want is a good home.

Any update on Bear?

Advertisement