Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this fellah at ?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Ok everyone,a little help needed with this one :)

I've been holed up as it were in a medium sized country town with my cousins since before Xmas and going out nearly every other night in 3 of the towns most popular pubs.I used go out a lot in Dublin but now I'm commuting.

To cut a long story short,theres a bloke about my age or a little bit younger who whenever I turn my head is smiling at me.
    It's the sort of warm smile that would just make you wilt with the good of it.
    I don't know him from adam other than that but to give you an example of whats been going on..the other night I was sitting at the bar with a few mates and he was at the other end of the bar talking to someone and yes you guessed it..paying little attention to the person he was talking to but glancing over at me with one of those smiles again.

Now I have to say it's slowly working :D I walked into another pub later that night and there was romeo-but this time I turned round and got one of those winning smiles again.
    I've done some inquiries and I now know who he is and well everything points to him being straight.
    Loads of girlfriends! He is very hot to put it mildly and dresses casually very well.Tight white t-shirts with a six pack and nipples easily made out and a tight well fitting pair of jeans and nice belt..you get the picture :p

Now question is,what do I do next? I'm very happy to become friends with this bloke..In fact I would love to be if thats all thats going on here.

Am I reading more into this than is there? It doesn't matter if I am but I just want to get to meet the guy at this stage.I'm half thinking of just randomly introducing myself with a bit of banter..breaking the ice and then adding him on facebook and taking it from there.
    Why would someone smile at you like that almost [I'd say definitely] looking for a response? It's as if he's happy to see me!
    I know I'm happy to see him :p

What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Ask him is he smuggling peanuts or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

hmmm
    On the one hand, it's very flirtatious behaviour - on the other - some people are just like that
    Do your cousins know him well?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

They know who he is,thats all, but not to talk to him or anything.
    Funny sorta town where everybody knows people but they don't!
    So I've no info there bar his name.
    I have to let on I don't know that yet.

It is very flirtatious isn't it ? but I suppose like,I'm happy enough to become friends at least anyway.That looks to be the thing to do and see how flirtatious it is after that.
    I'm kicking myself a bit for not breaking the ice already but it's not easy as there were so many people I knew who I was hanging out with for the last week that I hadn't seen for a while and having the crack with and this was going on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Does he know you are gay?

He might be smiling at you because he's a gormless idiot!:p On the other hand he might just be friendly or he might be into you. Who knows!

Best thing is just to get to know him, you'll know better when you actually speak to him than by gauging him across a room.

Just do it, and stop farting around. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Let's be honest....you're no mug OP, you know what a friendly smile is and what a flirtatious smile is. (Well I hope you do) He's playing a dangerous game here and is giving out signals, whether he knows you're gay or not.

If I was in your shoes I'd just start talking to him...he can't hide from that. He either talks back to you and reveals his hand that way...or he shys away. Either way, you know where you stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Loads of girlfriends!

I have had loads of girlfriends, been married, have kids and yet I still fancy men, between black and white there is a lot of colour!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It would be very unusual for a straight guy, who is a stranger, to be giving you winning smiles everytime you walk in the pub.
    As for him having loads of g/f's, it's the country, maybe they are his beards ;)
    Or, he could be bi.

I'd be inclined to walk up to him next time and say something along the lines of - I've notice you smiling over at me a few times, do I know you from somewhere?
    See where that takes ya.
    Bon chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Beruthiel wrote: »
    It would be very unusual for a straight guy, who is a stranger, to be giving you winning smiles everytime you walk in the pub.
    As for him having loads of g/f's, it's the country, maybe they are his beards ;)
    Or, he could be bi.

I'd be inclined to walk up to him next time and say something along the lines of - I've notice you smiling over at me a few times, do I know you from somewhere?
    See where that takes ya.
    Bon chance!

Good advice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cabbage Brained

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Or, he could be bi.

See where that takes ya.
    Bon chance!

This. Although maybe rephrase it, "do I know you from somewhere?" could be interpreted as being a bit aggressive.

Does he/ could he know you're gay? Are you out in the town? If you are, chances are he knows, if it's the sort of town it sounds like. If he knows you're gay and doing this, well then, you're in! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    hmmm
    On the one hand, it's very flirtatious behaviour - on the other - some people are just like that
    Do your cousins know him well?
    and on the other hand the ops perception of this smiling is clouded by what they want rather than what probably is!
    Let's be honest....you're no mug OP, you know what a friendly smile is and what a flirtatious smile is. (Well I hope you do) He's playing a dangerous game here and is giving out signals, whether he knows you're gay or not.

If I was in your shoes I'd just start talking to him...he can't hide from that. He either talks back to you and reveals his hand that way...or he shys away. Either way, you know where you stand.
    op has he approached you in any way? has he spoken to you? he could be smiling at anyone across a busy pub. you want him to be smiling at you and it is clouding your judgement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement