Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get a housemate to move out

Options
  • 12-01-2010 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Myself and my girlfriend have been living together for 4 years now and we have another girl living in the house with us. The house is belonged to my boss and we asked her to move in with us (as the rent was too high for just the two of us at the time). The other girl in the house is there only 3-4 nights a week and goes home every weekend. She is very messy and we always end up cleaning up after her. The house is basically our home. We would love to buy but we cant afford it at the moment. We asked our housemate would she mind moving out as we live in one room and we are beginning to spill out onto the landing, stairs, sitting room etc and we need the extra space. She said no. She said she is 30 and is too old to be renting with other people (we are other people! was she expecting to live with us until we got married?). So basically we dont want to move out and she's not moving and the landlord cannot do anything as there is a lease in place.any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You think the girl should move out because she is untidy or do you just want your own space..

It does not seem fair of you. What you are basically asking is how do you get rid of a housemate because you no longer want them with you.

The lease is there to protect you and your house mate.

Outside that what your asking is illegal and against your housemates rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

What bothers you the most, lack of space or the mess? Can you not have a chat together and come up with a cleaning rota maybe? As you are all going to have to live together better to talk things through than having a bad atmosphere at home. Or else maybe you and your gf find somewhere else to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I agree. If you want your own place, get your own place.

How would you feel if she asked you to move out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dirtyj13

We will prob end up moving out alright. I just wanted to see if we were wrong. Obviously we were. I suppose from our point of view because we live in the house all the time it has really become our home and we really dont want to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

dirtyj13 wrote: »
    We will prob end up moving out alright. I just wanted to see if we were wrong. Obviously we were. I suppose from our point of view because we live in the house all the time it has really become our home and we really dont want to move.

she probably feels the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Again a shining example of why people don't want to move in with a couple. At least you are willing to accept that you are being unreasonable. You should really tell you house-mate you are sorry or that you just were sounding out the possibility. That way there will not be too much bad blood.

On a side note if you are spilling out of the room you have maybe she thinks that is messy?:)

Advertisement